how long did it take to get YOUR blue belt?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by ANVIL, Sep 10, 2005.

1. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

How long did it take you to get your blue belt (or above for that matter) in BJJ, and who gave it to you?

2. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

1.5 years

Renzo Gracie

3. mhyst

mhyst New Member

2 3/4 years

edit: my bad, that's in jjj not bjj

4. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Belt Colours and all that neon tetra

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, belt colour was not an issue, the training important it was.

When I began training we wore a white belt, then a Brown belt, then we attempted our Shodan if we were invited to by our seniors.

O' the good old days.

Regards :)

5. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

Belt colour is far from the be all and end all in BJJ and the training is certainly more important, but in BJJ you've given your belt on your ability to fight (rather than perform certain moves), so it is very representitive of your progress...

perhaps i should've put BJJ in the title as well as the question!

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Ya know, I have been taking BJJ (Royce Gracie network gym) for about 6 months, learned a lot, having a lot of fun, having new bruises to disgust my wife with and all that good stuff, I was told 1-1.5 years to get my Blue, and really, I don't care...belt color means little...what does matter is getting in shape, learning some great skills and having fun doing it...or that's what matter to me anyway.

Sorry felt I had to answer that question from a soapbox :)

7. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo New Member

About 3 years (Rey Diogo, Carlson Gracie Team) If you're talking about BJJ, you'd REALLY better not rush it.. it's probably the only art you have to really defend your belt in.

8. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

that's fine, you're not the only one LOL

people seem to read a lot into questions like this, and generally the stuff they read into it isn't actually there (no offence).

i agre entirely with what you've said, i was just curious about people's experiences.

9. soul-survivor

soul-survivor New Member

About 2 1/2 years (classic Jiu-jitsu) but it all depends on following as much classes as possible!

10. bjj brown belt

bjj brown belt New Member

2 years

Brian Espinoza

11. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

9 Months.

Roger Gracie.

Take care,

Stalks

12. Snake+CQC

Snake+CQC New Member

I'm still a white belt, I was curious how long it took, but I'm not very worried/upset about the amount of time it may take. When I get it I'll get it because I deserve it (hopefully).

13. CinMike

CinMike Valued Member

I'm still white belt, but I'm not worried about receiving my blue belt. I'm only concerned with getting better, both in holding/transitioning positions and finishing submissions.

What has helped me improve lots is rolling for 2 hours during open mat on Saturday morning. I usually learn as much stuff rolling 2 hours on Saturday than I do in a week in BJJ class. I almost always get my ass kicked by these awesome guys on Saturday, but they take the time to explain what I am doing wrong (or what I shouldn't do), give me tips on positions and subs, and actually teach me new techniques.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

What are the belt rankings in BJJ, and what seems to be the average time to gain rank? Just curious.

15. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

White Belt
    Blue Belt (takes from 1 to 5 years)
    Purple Belt (even longer)
    Brown Belt (long, long time)
    Black Belt (in your dreams, my friend)

But seriously... depends on how often you train, who with, your natural ability and also whether you have anyone who can actually promote you within five hundred miles. Hence there are some scarily good white belts kicking around.

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thank you Ghost!

17. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

It took me about 2.5 years. I was awarded it by Rolles Gracie, Jr. My gym is a Renzo affiliate.

18. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

3.5 years.