HOW HAVE YOU BEEN TAUGHT?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by jagged monk, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jagged monk

jagged monk Valued Member

I mean this sincerly so please dont think i am poking fun.I have had a guided meditation through a video game (wii's NINJA REFLEX)and it worked!! But i would like to dive deeper in.So should i find a mentor or is meditation a more personal training?

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Forget anything you learn in a video game, except how to press buttons. I have the game you mention, and it's (in my opinion) Pants.

You will need to specify what it is you are aiming for. Are you looking for an Internal Martial Art (ala, Taijiquan, baguazhang, xingyiquan, ziranmen, yiquan)? Or are you looking for a form of meditation training?

Give us more information, and we'll be able to help you (although the main answer you will get is that you will need a teacher to get anywhere).

3. jagged monk

first let me just say thank you for your help. I dont know much about meditating (in case you havent guessed by now). What i would really like to learn is how to tap in that relaxed state. I had trouble relaxing but eventually i was able to just concentrate on my breathing not for long but long enough to actually feel different.I think being able to acheive this would improve my quality of life as well as my trainig in JKD

4. Dan Bian

The I suggest you look into Zhan Zhuang, as this would greatly aid you in learning to relax.

5. jagged monk

Thank you I will

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Do I smell another new troll??

7. jagged monk

that does not sound respectable did i do something wrong?

8. Dan Bian

I don't think so, just someone young and inexperienced.

I wouldn't worry about it mate. Some people just get their knickers in a twist when people with less experience ask a question.

9. Dhalsim-on

Dhalsim-on Banned Banned

Be careful with meditation, it isnt the absolute road to greatness its cracked up to be. Your mind is capable of all sorts of tricks.

It is preferable to develop intuition and emotional maturity before turning to meditation. Though obviously a small amount to maintain focus is just fine.

10. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

You did nothing wrong, but it always raises my suspicions when posters write that they know nothing, get given info they can't possibly know what means, but instead of asking simply say thanks and wander off.

Why?

11. old palden

old palden Valued Member

Read a few books by people who write from a base of real and deep experience in meditation. People like: The Dalai Lama, Pema Chodron, BK Frantzis, Robert Thurman, or Thich Nhat Hahn.

There's all kinds of audio and video product out there too. Enter any of the above names on Amazon and you'll find product galore.

Many of these books or recordings include instructions for a basic stillness practices. (Sit still, breathe slow) a starting point in virtually all meditative traditions.

As with martial arts training, most people exploring meditation find that teachers and supportive practice groups are essential for progress in training and the development of substantive skill.

A cursory internet search would probably point you to a plethora of meditation groups in upstate New York.

Good luck.

12. jagged monk

You are correct i know nothing on this matter thats the whole point of this post. But now i have a starting point as i get deeper in im sure ill
    have more questions.I dont see the point in asking anything else
    without researching on my own.OLD PALDEN and TAIJI STUDENT
    thank you for the advice and SIAZ i wont take what you said lightly
    thanks again

13. Dan Bian

When looking into Zhan Zhuang, I'd recommend this book.

It's excellent for new students.

14. devappy

devappy Valued Member

I meditate everyday at the beach.I first stare out at the ocean and concentrate on my breathing to get my mind ready for meditating then I gradually let my eyes close,that's when my mind starts to wonder.I feel it is harder to meditate when I close my eyes.Then I Try to take notice of the feel of the wind and the sound of the ocean.When I feel I am calm I start to go over my problems and what solutions there are to them.Don't try to force your mind to stop thinking about stuff,Just try not to put any efforts into the thoughts that come up just try to focus on whatever you want to focus on.The best thing you should do is research.Knowledge of what your doing is the most important thing you should be doing right now.Don't think about what benifiets your going to gain from it(some people don't gain anything)or how long you should do it for.Just take one step at a time and live in the moment.The problem with meditation is that it takes a long time maybe years to gain any benefits from it,So you have to be committed.I like the saying live in the moment learn from the past and plan for the future.Remeber do lots of research.The better knowledgeable you are the more your prepared and maybe faster to gain benefits.

15. jagged monk

I do appreciate your input but i am just frustrated. It must have been a fluke. i have tried several times to recreate the situation to a T but no results. In my house it has been hectic with holiday crap so i am hoping thats the problem. I have plenty to research and fully intend to but i really cant put energy into anything till my life gets back to normal. Just wondering do you have trouble being still?

16. Dan Bian

A word of advice - each meditation is different. Never try to recreate the effects of a previous session as you will gain nothing. Take each new session as it comes.

17. devappy

devappy Valued Member

yea dude that's true what you might have experienced the last time might not happen again for a while.Just live in the moment.Last night I was at my neighbors for new years and I started to have bad social anxiety so I had to leave.I got my dog and went to the beach and just started crying.I felt better after though but I know that I am not fully better.I believe in order to fully benefit from it your mind has to be ready for it,for a change.It's going to be frustrating but you have to understand not to get involved with your feelings just let them happen.I am not good at explaining things but if you do research you will have a great understanding of how to live and meditate.I am learning on how to communicate.I feel I am not so good at it.

18. jagged monk

Maybe you are just more in tune with yourself than i am and if thats the case cool.And i myself have just been overrun by emotion so please know that this comes from a non-judgemental place. ARE YOU OKAY?

19. devappy

devappy Valued Member

Werd werd,yea I am feeling better I had a few traumatic experiences happen to me for the past few years living in a rough hood so my head got screwed up.I think my anxiety will probably happen again but who knows.Since you live upstate dude there should be like a place you could go to in the4 woods to meditate or something like somewhere away from society.

20. rcoila

rcoila Valued Member

Just a thought... I have had a lot of students tell me they will get back into traing after the current life crisis passes. But there is always another crisis to keep them stressed and busy. Meditation gives you the stabilty to weather the stuff life throws at you. Even if it is just 20 minutes when you wake up or before you go to bed... it is a long path and there are no crash courses or shortcuts.

Anyway, good luck