How do you teach Practical Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Liam Cullen, Feb 4, 2009.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Thought this may be useful in regards to what is a style or system as they are used both independantly and seperatly in this thread (I've just included the ones appropriate for this discussion0:

Style
    1. The way in which something is said, done, expressed, or performed

System
    1. A group of interacting, interrelated, or interdependent elements forming a complex whole.
    2. A functionally related group of elements
    3. An organized set of interrelated ideas or principles.
    7. A condition of harmonious, orderly interaction.
    8. An organized and coordinated method; a procedure.

In short: A system is a way of doing things via various methods, if the methods change the original, then the style changes and is no onger the same as the style it may have been previously!

Hence why I see PTA as a system, rather than a style

Stuart

2. StuartA

Weird.. as the maths dont really add up! Oh well!

cheers,

Stuart

3. StuartA

LOL :)

4. StuartA

Disagree. To be MY style it would have to be discintly different from the style I learnt, which it isnt. As I said, I havnt added much and that which I have added I make clear its not TKD, but an addition to fill a hole or more up to date concepts that wernt around back then (regarding SP etc.).

Disagree again partly, though also get your point. Personally I see TAGB as Ch'ang Hon.

I didnt honest.. must have just missed the "and"

Actually, some of the higher grade patterns were the first ones formulated and hence were heavily influence by their Kartae counter-parts!

Cheers,

Stuart

5. StuartA

I only asked because you both stated different things and simply wanted it clarified!!

Stuart

6. StuartA

Well yes.. its gonna a little askew. TKDMitch, where are ya when needed!

Threads flow.. what can I say. Still, its all good publicity for the book as it keeps the thread high in the charts!

Not neccesarily - arnt they inter-related!!

:topic: This is a thread abouts Matts book Ill remind you sir :)

Stuart

7. paulol

paulol Valued Member

it was just said in different ways.

8. paulol

paulol Valued Member

what is Chang Hon TKD?

is it ITF?

or just anyone that uses the Chang Hon Forms?

Does it mean that anyone that uses the Chang Hon Forms has a right to claim to be doing ITF TKD?

big can of worms!! :)

9. StuartA

No.. you said different things:

Matt said they get two black belts @ 1 grading
    You said you simply recognise Matts gradings/black belts - not the same!
    Now you have said that if your on the panel, they may well get issued two black belts after all!

Thats why I asked! :confused:

Stuart

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Stuart -by the definitions you give - I'd define TKD as a system, and the way various associations do it as styles. :)

I mentioned my book and my system here because the two are different things and one grew from the other. The book is far more palatable to and more relevant to those training in lots of Karate and TKD associations than DART. If the same is true of Matt's work then we may be doing him a disservice my having a prolonged discussion on what he is teaching his students now rather than on the contents of his book. I would not like to see that happen.

No Global Mods or TKDMitch around at present though. But I reckon half this thread can go elsewhere - I'm sure we can all think of enough book related questions to keep firing at Matt. :)

11. StuartA

The style of TKD implimented and taught by Gen choi

No, ITF uses Ch'ang Hon TKD as its base.

Thats open to discussion I guess, as IMO, its not just about what forms are used!

No. But ITF is incorrectly used as a term for Ch'ang Hon TKD so many people use the term without issue, even though its technically incorrect. ITF is an organsiation.

Not really. :)

Stuart

12. paulol

paulol Valued Member

yes this is true as he wants me to be at his students black belt tests and depending on how good they are then they pass one belt test two or none.
    i recognise matts own grade as i gave it to him. i support his right to grade his students. only i am the only person with the position to grade people in JSMKD.
    as what was meant all the time!

13. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Hi Matt,

I hope some of this doesn't overlap too much with what has already been posted, there's been a lot aded since I last checked! :)

If you'd rather not modify the pattern set that you're teaching in your Pratical Taekwondo class then why in a book of the same name are you teaching applications for Taegeuk forms? These don't seem to be representative of what you actually teach as Practical Taekwondo.

Where do you see yourself in a few years? Do you think you might move away further from the general concept of TKD and evolve it into something else? If this isn't where you see yourself in a few years time then why realise a book now?

So just to clarify, you hold no Dan grade in PT, but a Dan grade in JSM, are were graded by Paul? Just to clarify what Dan grade are you now?

I won't, nor would I try. Looking at unfamiliar patterns I have no idea of what the moves are supposed to be, I also highly doubt anyone would want to be graded by me without me knowing what their grading in. You could think that I could at least say if a punch was correct. But if I was looking at an ITF grading I'd fail them all for using that Sine Wave dance they do and not using any hip twist :)

Either, both shoud be possible from good positioning.

If your there by choice or not would it not make sense to learn the basics of positions. Laying on your back in a fight is not ideal. But having a guy on top of you, punching you in the face, could be made far easier to deal with if you knew how to close guard and break his posture down.

I personally find armbars easier to pull off from a closed or open guard, rather than the seated kind. This can also be used as a sweep and a method of control to get out from under someone. There are also keylocks and kimura's to be had if we're just talking about arms.

Pummel them from where?

We have police officers, doormen, and careworkers at our club, and you're saying you won't go to the ground out of choice, so all this is done once you're already down there, at which point you're already in the broken glass, vomit and snow. Do you do much work on not getting taken to the ground? If so what sort of thing?

I train MMA 3 nights a week.

14. Liam Cullen

Is there a basic outline though, or a minimum rather? For example could I turn up, go over my patterns, do a bit of sparring and walk away with a 2nd Dan. Not bothering with much else if it didn't fit to my concept? For the record I think both Simon O'Neill and myself both consider ourselves to study KKW TKD.

Am I misreading that, or is there a typo in there?

15. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Bang on the head JWT. Split the thread.

16. StuartA

I dont. I see Taekwondo/Karate/Kung Fu etc. as the style or martial art, and their subsets ie. Ch'ang hon, KKW, Shotokan, Goju Ryu etc. could be termed either the style of that style of martial art I guess. I see associations and the way they teach a style as their system of implimenting said style. ie. Matt emplys a different system, not a different style, due to the way he impliments it

I wouldnt want that either and see your point. thread chop then!

Stuart

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sorry...DOJANG INVASION!!!

18. Liam Cullen

Is this a belt you gained after many years, or an honoury style 3rd Dan awarded as a way of thanks? By that I mean, do you consider yourself to have the knowledge of the system and application of the art you'd normally expect from a 3rd Dan. Do you feel you could open up a school in the art and bill yourself as a 3rd Dan in Karate. Not suggesting you would of have any intention to, just curious. :)

Actually, speaking of belts (that's t-shirts to you Matt! :)), Matt has refered to you a few times as a 3rd Dan I believe, but on the JSM site you're listed as a 4th Dan. What is your 4th Dan in? Is it for JSM, or is it from Prof Clark? If so, is that a 4th Dan in CDK?

19. Liam Cullen

I'm busy tonight, shall we say Friday?
    Actually my girlfriend thinks Dev Patel is hot, so I need to go kick the **** out of Stuarts students anyway, two birds, one stone. :D

20. StuartA

So, depending how good they are in his system, is the criteria of whether or not they get a BB in your system!! Which means you may get guys making out (even if accidently) that they have trained in two martial arts, when in fact they havnt!

Of course, that goes without saying, but he grading his students in his system, not yours!

But by sitting in on Matts panel, you are grading them in the PTKD system, not the JSMKD system - do you not see the issue? Thats like (for example) Liam sitting in on my gradings and saying, those guys are pretty decent, some of your stuff is similar to what we do, why dont I give them a black belt in MMA too - except that Dev Patel guy :)!! (Not that Im saying MMA has belts etc. Just Liams posting at the mo so I used him)

Yeah.. I must of missed it lol :)

Stuart