How do you practice?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Taoquan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

This question came to me on the Qi Questions thread, but not wanting to derail the thread I thought to post these questions here.

For those (or anyone else) that do not believe in Qi how do you practice:

Neigong (the internal training, forgive me if this is wrong, too tired to look it up)
    Ting ling (listening energy in push hands)
    The idea of steel wrapped in cotton (this one for me has more to do with body alignment)

just curious. Thanks

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya...can you explain this to me please as it is a view I am unfamiliar with.

many thanks.

3. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Neigong:
    I do physically developmental exercises and movement quality exercises (for example to isolate "reeling silk" power) and also techniques as dan lian (single technique repetition) which other people may or may not call neigong. But I don't use the concept of neigong, so whatever I do has a physical focus, even though breath and intention on movement quality; specific or more generic application visualisation etc. may be co-ordinated too (so as to replicate optimum application, but slowed down for refinement.) It is just slow, intent, careful practice.

Ting ling: (ting jin?)
    I don't consider physical sensitivity to be an energy, that's all. But I've done push hands and similar trapping drills with martial artists from a number of disciplines that don't have this concept. I just think of it in plain anatomical terms - an improved physical skill.

The idea of steel wrapped in cotton (this one for me has more to do with body alignment):
    Like CarysB I'm not really sure what you mean by this.
    I think of it as a very general term to explain a martial art that is physically quite loose and whippy (soft) and that employs yielding strategies sometimes, yet that can also be used to hit someone really hard (steel).
    A very literal example might involve a folding technique, perhaps when someone folds their arm against an oncoming strike or push (yielding the wrist) so as to strike with a nice hard elbow. Another time might be if you are being pulled into an opponent's space and you fold your arm to strike with your elbow or torso again. Finally, following a fingertip strike you can fold your wrist to strike with the palm heel. To me these all represent the concept of hardness concealed within softness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  4. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

How do I practice?

In a tutu!

Feel for sensations in my body, emptiness in the unweighted leg (total relaxation) a feeling of connection between my root and hands. Good connection with the ground. being relaxed and stable at EVERY point in the form.

Sensitivety isn't dependant on believing in qi, its just about becoming more sensitive. You need to relax and listen to/feel for your opponent's force.

None of it relies on a belief in qi. That only comes into it if you feel any strange sensations in your body and you believe that to be a sensation of qi.

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

nei gung relates to internal development ... development of the internal structures of the body, health of the organs etc. nothing really mystical or magical about this training.

Ting Jin: this is listen to the force of the opponent .... being in a reseptive state to forces acting on you. The opponent generates force in a direction .... a physical force or the intent to move in a certain direction. straight, circular or spiralling.

Listening is a receptive process, when you listen to someone speaking you recieve the vibrations in the air and translate them ... you then responce by speaking. the combative skill in Tai chi is the same idea ... you recieve the force of an opponent and are receptive to where they are, what they are doing and what they intend to do. 'Jin' doesnt necisarrily refer to some magical energy ... but simple the quality of movement and your use of your power.

I would personally add to this Li Gung training. The training of structure, tissues and certain muscle groups.

cheers
    Chris

6. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

It is not really an example of training, but rather a by product of training.
    It is basically the idea of having someone be completely soft with their muscles, yet their arm is unbendable and hard like steel, yet with no muscular tension.
    I have seen it demonstrated, one of my teachers used to hold his arm straight out and have a student place their hands on his torso and arms, then tell another student to move it. We would never feel him flex or move his muscles yet we could never bend or move the arm. He mentioned this was steel wrapped in cotton.

7. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

What you put up above each atributes of training in alot of different systems.
    Unbendable arm is what it is called in Japan(i.e.aikido,jujutsu). You create what feels like a connection from your belly area up though the arm out to the end of the Universe(how it feels, not totally what is done). jkzoryia is actually saying what to do when applying it.

Neigong: well i do style of rubbing an pounding the body that will help the flex or tendon control.

Ting ling: All forms of push hands. Wing Chungs Chi sau even. Often requires haveing someone to help an use as sounding point.