How do you practice bjj at home?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hapuka, May 31, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I'm looking to practice some basic white belt drills (mainly breakfalls at this stage) but I don't have a partner nor a grappling dummy or any gym mats. Any ideas? How do you guys practice at home?

2. bouli

bouli Valued Member

Shrimp, shrimp, shrimp, then shrimp some more. When you get tired of shrimping, bridge, brdge, then bridge some more......wash rinse, repeat!

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How often do you attend classes?

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4"]33 Solo Grappling BJJ Drills in 7 Minutes - Jason Scully - YouTube[/ame]

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Buy mats for solo drills, or buy a Swiss ball to work your core and improve you top position flow.

Or do judo.......

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Twice a week.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Visualization is an amazing tool.
    You can practice throws and takedowns on a heavy bag or any vertical object with a belt tied around it for arms. You can place shoes or bricks down to represent feet to drill footwork around.
    Sprawls, shrimps, get ups, rolls, bridges, shots can all be drilled alone on level ground.
    Stretching and cardio.
    Studying footage whether it's instructional or competition.
    Moving around in stance.
    Practicing the 90 degree turn for armbars.
    I've even seen people practice Achilles locks by breaking sticks with them.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Watching (good) videos and reading books is in no way a substitute for mat time, but they can be a good assistance to your class time.

Also, and I know this goes against a lot of what you will read about BJJ online, but 2 times a week is plenty for the average person. A guy who trains at a local Gracie Barra recently got his black belt, and he trained on average about twice a week due to a chronic injury (he couldn't do any more). Ok, it took him almost 16 years to get his black belt, but he still got it training twice a week!

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Consistency is the key, you see a lot of guys who train 8 plus hours a week for a few months, but being regular, and having an learning approach to rolling is the best way to get good long term.