How do you minimize the risk of injury in loaded marches

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rataca100, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Here is a list.

2. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I have been to one, they said it was left over from a fungus infection and it should be easy to cut off. Its not easy to cut off, it wouldnt be a notable problem if it was easy to cut off. My other one i think is the same but that usually gets broken off somehow each time it grows too long. I really dont like looking at my feet so they stay in socks additionally i really dont liek the concept of it being broken off or torn off etc. Just as a note currently its in the process of being removed.

Regarding the list, i dont live in peterbporough wont be running outside my garden anytiem soon and i know of a few in ym town, if they are clubs and not jsut a gathering of people i dont know as i dont have the details for them. Will look it up later.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. Whit

Whit Valued Member

How is this an issue? I worked in It for years and i have severed abdominal muscles from a surgery at 2 weeks old, both of my right toenail is ingrowing last week the chiropodist cut a great piece out of it to the root to let it grow back properly, then he put iodine on it which hurt like a b word. .

I had to work really hard just to be able to transition from a laying to sitting position in class.

Now i can do it.

Trim your Nail....

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

A club is a gathering of people,

see just download the free app, and away you go.

If the App doesnt work, just go for a small run, and build from there.

Hannibal likes this.
  6. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

What advice have you received? I and every one of my coworkers are required to go on long, heavy rucks, and all of them would give the same advice I gave you.

Good cardio, leg strength, and kit preparation, are the three key things you need.
    Cutting your nails would help too.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I currently have a broken toe and am still training.

I've had busted ribs and a back injury bad enough to stop me walking properly. I still taught class.

Last week my instructor did a seminar and had a student in a wheelchair.

His instructor teaches the blind.

Your argument is invalid.

axelb, SCA, Hannibal and 1 other person like this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

In the OP's defence I've been unable to train for the past few weeks due to a loose bit of hair that flicks into my eye when I move. I was wondering what sort of haircuts you guys would recommend for me? Of course there are no barbers near me and I'm having trouble deciding which sort of scissors would be appropriate for doing it myself. For reasons that are completely opaque I can't get it sorted but I'd love to talk at length about the history of male grooming.

9. Simon

Hair can be pulled.

Have self defence hair like me. :D

Hannibal likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Does that include back hair?

Hannibal likes this.
  11. Simon

I did grab the back hair of a student once who tried to dominate me during a demonstration.

SCA, Hannibal and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

WHAT IS THE OBESSION WITH MY DAMN NAILS!?!?! Im going to mail each and every one of you a segment of that nail now.

Its basically just summarized by saying "train how you fight". Was just curious of the finer details of doing loaded marches and the impact on the body and if there is any means to reduce them.

13. Dead_pool

Were you planning on actually doing one?

14. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Irrelevant.

[edit]: edventually yes.

15. Dead_pool

Not irrelevant, as if not, your simply wasting people's time, which generally if you work or study plus training is in short supply.

SCA and Simon like this.
  16. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

'Train how you fight' is a good rule to follow, but there are exceptions to every rule. Some things are not worth the potential injury.

I would only advise going for a ruck once every month or two, just to get an idea of how it feels. It's not necessary as part of a regular program.

David Harrison, SCA and Simon like this.
  17. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

I would only intergrate it if i plan on walking/running distances with any significant weight. Would that be with any particular weight on a monthyly basis?

18. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

I was practicing ground sweeps once, the callous on my big toe caught and ripped all the skin off the bottom of the toe. Put a band-aid on it and didn't miss a beat.

Simon likes this.
  19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It's not about your toe, it's about your excuses for not to actually train something. Anything.
    If at least you were honest about it, saying you'd like the subject in theory, no one at all would even have mentioned your toe.

I mean - seriously?!
    Your toe nail is the reason you don't go train?

You already got some examples of what is possible, if you actually want to train, and I just add some more:

When my arm got broken I had it operated (plate, nine screws) and was back on the mats right after the stitches were out. I wasn't allowed to use my arm for two more months, let alone train, but did it anyway.
    And it worked.
    When my teacher had his collarbone broken he was back after three days.
    IMPORTANT: I wouldn't recommend it, as I'm sure it wasn't the best idea, but it was that or nervous breakdown (for me). But it worked like charm.

Within my first few weeks my toe got caught between some mats. Probably a capsular rupture, couldn't properly walk in shoes for weeks; it still sometimes hurt.
    I cursed a moment and kept training without a word.
    The next session I had to explain why my toe and part of foot were green and blue; training continued.

Another time it was a damaged capsule in my shoulder. I was in the middle for practicing for a grading from my teacher; we skipped two throws that would hurt when falling and kept training for his grading to his 5th Dan still.

That doesn't include some injuries on my foot that made me limp, a bloody lip or whatnot.
    Still could be trained with, just some things got skipped or adjusted.

And now you come: "Oooh, my nail hurts."
    Proper care would that problem make go away.
    And, by the way, is obligatory if you were to train something.
    Had a toe nail cut my hand once and fingernails in my eyes - only had me annoyed, because it was unnecessary, if people were to take basic care of their body and hygiene.

These are just poor excuses.
    Ouch, my toe.
    They were closed.
    I'd need to take a bus.
    It's too far away.
    I don't know, when they train.
    They are close, but...

Problem is: Your "but" is "tree"; it's like: "I can't train, because weather."

Similar with: I use google and check.
    So you checked, wow.
    But you never go any further as to actually do something, aside from google.

Again: Nobody would say anything if you were straight about it, and say: I like the subject, looking at and reading about MAs. But I don't see me actually train it. - no one would say something.

aaradia, Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

plenty of parkrun around for anyone who has actual plans to train.
    otherwise, get some running shoes on and run, you don't need a class time to meet, a fee to pay.

I've run 6+ miles with broken toes, plantar warts, blisters, asthma, bronchitis, pnuemonia.
    in rain, snow, high heat.
    morning, lunch, night.
    even with my son in a buggy when he was younger.

if you want to do it you will find a way. if you don't, you'll find an excuse.