How do you identify the problems in writing a table tennis scoring application?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dentoiwamaryu, Sep 3, 2012.

1. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

As part of a job interview I have this week for a graduate software analyst, I have been asked "How do you identify the problems in writing a table tennis scoring application" I was told it was just to assess my problem solving skills, so I have been asked to familiarize myself with the basics.

I have not done any programming of any kind for a while but I stil understand what Im doing, I'm just wondering of anyone can give any advice as to approach this and what problems could be identified.I understand the basics of table tennis and can think of 3 issues;
    1. How to determine how many games have been played ie best out of 7 games.
    2. how to determine the 1st player to reach 11 points with a 2 point advantage
    3 If score reaches 10-10 how to determine the 1st player to reach a 2 point advantage over 11 points.

Any advice would be great

thank you

2. embra

embra Valued Member

4. Keep track of let shots where no score occurs due to no ball on table i.e. net-to-miss-table or no table shot. Cant remember the rules of let shots.
    5. Keep track of alternating services and ends.
    6. Keeping track of doubles games with reduced zones.

Implementation detail:- All good sports software should be driven by sensor detection feeding a computer system to update the scores and determine valid scores, misses and let shots (in this case) i.e. remove refereeing error to make the system fair.

Can't think of anything more at the moment Steff. Best of luck when the interview comes.

3. embra

embra Valued Member

You cannot be serious...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY"]John McEnroe - You Cannot Be Serious - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Nyc9jzSDg&feature=related"]John McEnroe's most famous outburst happened in Stockholm in 1984 - YouTube[/ame]
    :)