How do I know if I'm gifted?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bum-eyes, May 6, 2005.

1. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

Am I gifted with strong chi?

Okay, I havn't started any proper training yet, so far all I know is just what I've seen in magazines and games and stuff(and yes I do know that this amounts to no skill at all).

Anyway, I found an exercise that's intended to make you feel chi, so I got off my chair and tried it out. Being somewhat tired and in a lazy mood, I did a pretty poor rendition and only stood in the outlined position for a few seconds rather than the five minutes reccomended. In spite of this, I experienced a notable tingling sensation, overall calm, and a very tangible force between my hands. This has not completely worn off yet, about 20 minutes later. The instructions I went said I would feel something, but not nearly as strong as this.

What do you guys think? Am I the One? :Angel: :p

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Maybe, you never know -- but I felt a similar sensation the first day I started the Tai Chi Chuan Long Form -- maybe we're both gifted. :)

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i got this warm fuzzy feeling after i took a good long **** this morning. I think that means I am in fact the one.

4. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Ooh did you do the thing where you kind of twitch and have a semi-seizure for like half a second? Oh man, you know your ready to pull of a super-wicked "HADOKEN!" when you get that sensation.

Bum-eyes, my suggestion is that you stand facing to the right with your hand drawn back, palm open, to your right. Press down, down+right, right then punch. If a blue fireball shoots out of your hands, you are officially the one.

5. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

You know what they say about too many shakes...ahem...

6. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Lmao, you guys are mad. :D

7. bum-eyes

LMFAO guys, but I am at least half serious here. How would I know if I was naturally talented in martial art?

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

The only way you'll ever really know is to start training, and see how easily (or not) you catch on to what is being taught. There's no short-cut to that; you have to check out what schools are near you, try them out, pick a style, and begin. :)

9. bum-eyes

Gee, well that kinda makes sense. :eek:

Oh, and I couldn't try the hadouken. I still live with my mother and can't afford a new wall. :bang:

10. Socrastein

Well, I don't know about Chi flow and all that, but there are a lot of attributes that are useful in the martial arts, and if you possess a high degree of said attributes, then you will be ahead of the curve when it comes to the martial arts.

For instance: How is your speed? Your reflexes? Your periphreal vision? Are you coordinated? Do you have good balance? If you have high levels of the above, the MA will be very easy for you compared to someone lacking said attributes. My father raised me on martial arts, so ever since I could stand I was being trained in speed, reflexes, etc. etc. So the martial arts come easy for me, and I advance about 2x as fast as everyone else. But I wouldn't call these natural attributes, since like I said they were trained from a young age.

So, what were some of the manifestations of these things that you may also have to show that you have a natural skill in these attributes?

Play slap hands with people! I knew I had abnormal speed and reflexes because nobody could beat me at slap hands.

Climb trees! If you can fly up a tree, jumping and climbing from branch to branch without hesitation or struggle, then you have great balance and coordination. I have a willow tree in my front yard that after many years is quite magnanimous. I can fly up that thing about 50 ft in way less than a minute, walking across branches, pulling up and flipping my legs over branches, jumping and pulling to higher branches that I can't quite reach with a step, etc. I've seen other people try, and they spend 2-3 minutes just getting 20 feet up. Also, in case someone mentions this, it's not a case of my being used to the tree or anything, cause I fly up any and all trees that look like they'd be fun to climb.

Just little things like this can really show whether or not you have the natural abilities that are useful in the martial arts. And if you do these things and SUCK at them, then use them to get better! Seriously, I love climbing trees, and it really takes a lot of balance and coordination of all your limbs to get good at flying up a tree, especially if a lot of the branches are spread out like on my willow tree, and you can't just climb it like a ladder. Slap hands is great for speed, reflexes, learning not to telegraph, etc. If you look into their eyes or at their chest, you will develop your periphreal as well. Don't look at their hands! Also, if you touch hands, do it with your eyes closed and develop sensitity, which is a great skill, especially for in-fighting and ground fighting.

Hopefully you didn't have a boring childhood - its important that kids be allowed to play lots of games when they're young! That's how they develop these skills. It's seen all throughout the animal kingdom. I say curses to any parent who keeps their kids cooped up inside, or makes them play sissy games cause they don't want them getting hurt. Let them climb trees! Let them play catch and sports! Let them run around and hunt bugs, if they have siblings let them wrestle and fight! Let them do all these things, otherwise you're robbing them of a lot of cool, and useful skills, and they'll end up completely uncoordinated and retarded like a lot of the people in my class :p

11. Socrastein

No worries mate, just go outside and make sure you're not standing under anything. Make a fist, hang your arm to your side and look up with your knees slightly bent ready to spring. Press forward, down, down+forward then punch, and if you fly up into the air into an uppercut and your fist catches on fire, then you'll know for sure you're the one. Don't forget to shout Shoryuken! as you lift up into the air.

12. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

:D :D :D :D :D :D
    Oh no... stop... ROTFLMFAO..... no please.... my ribs cant take it... :D :D :D :D :D Mate they dont have rep here but I may have to rep you at BS for that... (can you do cross board repping...??? :D :D :D )

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No, it means you missed the pan and got your feet ;)

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

jeezis! bwahahahahahahaha!!!

promil for the gifted child.

15. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Oh no two in one thread... LMFAO... :D :D :D :D

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The real question is what difference does it make if you're gifted? If you're not training, then that gift is going to waste. In fact, if you're not training (and you want to) whatever gift you possess (however meager) is going to waste.

But since you have a penchant for the matrix, think about Morpheus' advice to Neo. "I can show you the path. You have to walk it."

And you can't walk it for 30 seconds at a time before returning to your couch. So go and join a school. Gifted or not, you'll be better off for it.

Stuart

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

BRILLIANT! swift, masterful and cruel!

I like it! :D

18. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

you are the one, who constantly needs his ego stroked. there's only one word for such a post: ridorkulous.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  19. hitsuzen

hitsuzen New Member

an anomaly.

talent's maybe like....how quickly you can pickup and master something? in addition to natural coordination and stuff.

LOL 'ridorkulous'

20. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

if you are a 'natural', a higher belt or insructor will probablly tell you your first class; at least they always told me.
    remember: hard work creates its own talent.