How did General Choi create Taekwondo, if it was a unification of styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by itf-taekwondo, Dec 1, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Different styles of Kung Fu developed from other ones. Choy Li Fut's founder had three teachers in three different styles that he used to develop CLF.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Out of respect you should so we can check for ourselves, because right now it's sounds like he is full of crap

3. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Even when we agree you insist on arguing. I wouldn't say full of crap. Maybe he wrote that out of some "General Choi principle" They tended to want to move away from Karate, as time passes and have TKD be uniquely Korean. I am not close to this instructor, and that's really all he wrote on the subject.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's some impressive backpedaling. So before, he was "your instructor." Now he's an instructor "you're not close to." Before, he wrote a book clearly showing your point. Now he only wrote a little on the subject, and may have meant something else.

Citing the book would allow people to check it out for themselves and make a personal determination.

5. itf-taekwondo

He might have written it out of loyalty to General Choi. But if that's not the case, I have no words. Period.

6. Hannibal

In other words you are spouting yet more uniformed nonsense and have now been caught out in the fact you are a low level poseur and a wannabe

You cannot steal respect or authority

The sooner you get permabanned the better

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

We can't have a discussion on this book if you don't let us know what you are referring to.

A published book is PUBLIC- it isn't a secret. The idea's in them are meant to be out there - by the author! That is the whole point of publishing a book- so others read it! :rolleyes:

I know! I work with books as my profession! I have worked in a major city Library System for over 20 years.

To cite a book and then refuse to mention what said book is just makes no logical sense whatsover! None!

Really, ITF, citing a book and then acting like said book is to be a secret is just beyond ridiculous. It isn't rational.

There are a bunch of reasons to do something like this, but none are flattering or help your credibility.

You really need to stop citing sources meant to bolster your view (be it books or your dad or anything else) if you aren't willing to let the source withstand the scrutiny of others to make their own decisions.

Discussion and debate don't work that way.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Seeing as the roundhouse question seems to be so confusing , do you believe it's a traditional Shotokan technique ?

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Which in turn are really no more different than the divergences between other systems which still label themselves as karate.

If we're going to call Wado Ryu karate (a blending of Okinawan karate and Japanese Ju Jutsu that uses its own versions/interpretations of karate forms) then you should have the honesty to recognise Tae Kwon Do (a blending of Shotokan karate with some non Japanese influences that uses its own mashed up versions of karate forms) as karate too. The Tae Kwon Do name has stuck through good brand marketing and because the art is grounded in Korea and used a Korean descriptive term, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be called karate as much as Wado or Enshin.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Very little argument from me :)

Mitch

11. itf-taekwondo

Has it ever struck you that I might in fact recognise Chois Taekwon-do as Karate.

Could it be one of the reasons I object to General Chois claims?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  12. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Is this the same instructor that personally asked you to attend the world/European championships as a white belt? is this another instructor?

Baza

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Can you answer these please?

14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

I would like to just comment that the changes that occur between a parent style and its offspring style can often be put down to the offspring stylists not fully understanding the parent style, not knowing the link to its parent style or simply not acknowledging it's link to its parent style. It's not just a case of knowingly borrowing or changing.
    To fully understand Okinawan styles and their offspring you have to understand the Chinese systems they derive.

15. John Titchen

Are you saying that you have to be proficient in a Chinese MA to be proficient in Karate?

16. Hannibal

I don't think this is necessarily true - it's a bit like saying you have to understand Latin in order to speak English

17. John Titchen

It's far more stupid than saying that.

18. Hannibal

I have been told to behave.........

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

latin to english is not a good analogy, if you're going to go the language route. sorry, but permit me to let my language nerd-ism flower.....a better one, one that i agree with, is that readers/writers/speakers of latin find that romance languages are easier to master--french, italian, spanish, portugese, catalan, etc. in my experience, this is very true. sure, there's time needed to get up to speed in each language, but already knowing the basics of latin gets one very far.

i don't agree with the original analogy either. i would say something like if one understands or has trained in a parent art, then the child art comes quicker. i know judoka that have taken to bjj quite nicely--as an example.

but i don't think it's necessary for me to understand tenjin shinyo ryu in order to do my bjj, via the judo link.

20. Hannibal

Do you need Latin to understand to speak and write English? Nope

Does it allow you a deeper understanding of some of the nuances and history? yep

I will say that analogy stands up :)