How could you use Taekwondo in a real street fight?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by John Taekwondo, Mar 3, 2006.

1. John Taekwondo

John Taekwondo New Member

In a real street fight punches and kicks are thrown in a split second....
    How could you use tkd against these types of attack?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

By parrying or avoiding an incoming attack and striking your attacker as hard as possible. Then legging it!

I don't even do Taekwondo and I could work that one out! :D

3. John Taekwondo

ye ok

lmao! ye the idea is there but when wild punches are being thrown it is easier said that done! you must know what i mean!

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I get where you're coming from (and sorry for jumping in on a TKD thread uninvited) but I think you've just gotta be sensible about which TKD techniques you choose to apply. If someone's flailing at you then, as a TKDer, you're quite used to making your distance and taking the fight into a long-range which will work to your advantage. If this doesn't work, you'll need to know when to apply short-range techniques like punches and elbows etc.

I don't think you can use ultra-long-range tournament-TKD in the average self-defence situation. But equally, I don't think many TKDers would try to.

5. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

Taekwon-Do alone may bot get you out of a street fight, firstly if you are aware that wild kicks and punches will be thrown, make sure you have enough distance between you and your attacker. You must strike hard and with aggresion towards a vital point in the body don't just swing a punch for the sake of it, concentrate your attack to a vital point. Keep any kicks low, groin or leg kicks only, kicking head height in a street situation may end you up on the ground. If you end up on the ground, you better hope you have a car to hide under or have some ground skills!

D

6. Well front snap kick and low turning kicks work great.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Assuming they got the drop on me:
    By covering up as taught in TKD

By soaking up some punishment as trained in TKD

By beating the crap out of them with the kicks, knees, punches, elbows, throws and locks taught in TKD.

Assuming I get the drop on them:
    By beating the crap out of them with the kicks, knees, punches, elbows, throws and locks taught in TKD.

Just the same as in Karate, Kung Fu, MT, Ju Jitsu or all kinds of stuff you ain't never heard of! (Bonus points for anyone recognising the film quote).

Or are you basing your question on watching Olympic sparring bouts?

Mitch

8. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

As does the low turn around and run away!

Why on earth would you stand toe to toe with someone?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have nothing to prove to anyone, so why would I further escalate the situation.

If I had no choice, it wouldn't be TKD that I'd use, it would be anything to stop the guy. Anything.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

9. John Taekwondo

what tchniques would work then. i imagine that ap, dwi and yop chagi would work well.

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

What a stupid thread.

11. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

'Dwi' chagi has a 't' on the end.

12. John Taekwondo

wtf

what a stupid reply.... i aint makin u read it so go away!

13. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Anything that connects and hurts your opponent would generally work. Unless it made him more mad.

You have to put him on his ass as quickly as possible. What works one time might not work another.

14. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

These threads do seem pretty pointless... and there is no need to take presonal offence.

15. SuGyong

SuGyong New Member

LOL! Do they have a gun? Is it pointed at me? I give 'em whatever they want and call the cops.

:) SuGyong

16. vindaloo

vindaloo Banned Banned

how do you call the cops if they wanted you cellphone?

17. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Go to the first person you meet and ask to borrow there mobile or into the nearest shop.

18. Tetsujin

Tetsujin Valued Member

kick him on the knee then do a front snap kick..then an uppercut..It'll work..I think?...

19. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Well you could step away into a clear space and give a demonstration of your fancy kicks, so that you're opponent says "simply spiffing show old bean" and conceeds the fight. Which is probably about as sensible an answer as you're going to get asking such a vague speculative question.

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I don't recall being taught that, or having seen it being taught when I trained TKD.

Or that.

Or this, are you sure you're doing TKD?

Elbows, knees and locks? Are you sure?

Don't know it, will you put me out of my misery? :D