How can one person using Aikido beat another using Aikido?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ultimate_defens, Apr 1, 2011.

1. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Dave

totally off topic, but quick. I teach people how to write research questions as part of my job. That was one of the most clearly asked and well weighted questions I have ever read.

Sorry, just have an appreciation of such things. :)

paul

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Judo .."internal art" ,,, only if you are talking about putting your opponent INTO the mats !!!

Smurf

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Sounds like Jujitsu to me !!!!:D:D:D

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Again thanks for that, I've absolutely no experience of Tomiki based aikido other than a small amount of exposure to it on a coaching course so, I've never seen randori or shiai in full effect in the flesh. I think I'm going to have to get my self down to Shinkei's dojo in the near future and have him or one of his yudansha give me a working over lol.

In reference to the kaeshi waza within randori, is the relationship between uke and tori fixed in competitive terms or, regardless of who's holding the tanto, will that role reverse?

Dave

5. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Dave your very welcome to visit my dojo. We dont do loads of Hikitategeiko, and it is only a part of the system. As you know Kenji Tomiki and Hideo Obha followed the Judo model by grouping techniques into various kata. Many of these are based on the Aikijutsu techniques that Tomiki learnt in the 1920s and 1930s.

Although our system is known as Tomiki Aikido, Hideo Ohba developed many of the koryu no kata because of his background in Japanese weapons systems. In fact my instructor was uke for Obha Shihan when he developed the koryu dai roku after Tomiki's death.

Tomiki Aikido is also known as Shodokan Aikido with Nariyama Shihan heading this. The past few years he Shidokan division of the JAA has also grown with Kenji Uno and Tadayuki Sato heading this section.

Tomiki was also one of the Judo shihan who developed the Kodokan Goshin Jutsu Kata, much of which is Aikido based.

Nice to see fellow Shodo or maybe Shidothug Tony on here, he has bounced me a few times when young at the BAA Leeds summer school.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRuShMdNSnM"]YouTube - Goshin Jitsu (1º Parte)[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  6. towag

towag Valued Member

Ha ha! I think I've devolved into just a thug Shinkei (AKA?)
    PM me just to remind me. Last Leeds I did was 1986 or 7? I know I did ten years in succession. It's all on my old grey grading card. Did you know that myself and M. Tracey (former National Coach & Director of Coaching) quit the BAA in 1987...?

7. towag

towag Valued Member

Dave Quoted
    In reference to the kaeshi waza within randori, is the relationship between uke and tori fixed in competitive terms or, regardless of who's holding the tanto, will that role reverse?

As I remember it in tanto randori, tanto can use 5 kaeshi waza from the Junnanna waza or randori no kata waza (these were considered "safe" for randori)
    If I remember correctly the five allowed were from the 5 "atemi" waza.
    You have a change over at 2 minutes during the bout to allow both players toshu and tanto or tori and uke... Believe me 4 minutes is a long time when you are in a bout, so aerobic fitness is important.... I'm lucky if I last 2 mins these days!! Ha ha!
    Shinkei will most likely remember........

Tony

8. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Tony, Shinkei also known as Shaun Hoddy. I was aware of you leaving the BAA. I was in Dublin last year teaching Mick's ex students at the Tallagh Tomiki Aikido Club. they have affiliate to our association ZETAR.

9. Dave Humm

Shaun,

Consider that offer taken up mate, I've got some block leave in August to take so I'll talk to you nearer the time and get down to see you guys. I know the wife wants to spend a few days away up in the Lake District but I'm pretty sure I can get down to you, do you guys train mid week and or at the weekend ?

Dave

10. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Dave, we train both mid week and weekends I will pm you the details or check our website.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmqNfutWA24"]YouTube - Shaun Hoddy Sensei 6th Dan @ Genryukan Dojo, Dover[/ame]

11. Dave Humm

Ta mate..

Come to think of it, I'll have to nip out and buy an aikido keiko-gi, everything I've got at the moment is either black (iaido) or indigo (kendo) LOL..

Dave

12. towag

towag Valued Member

I'm sure Shaun won't mind what you wear so long as you are decent :D

I hate stripy star-spangled, kungfuey badges, hooray henry, macdojo keiko gi

Aaaargh!!!!

13. Dave Humm

That's true but my iai-gi would get it's sleeves pulled off (lol) and my indego kendogi would leave blue dye marks on the mats !

So I'll get myself a gi from Nine Circles, I've had one of their aikido specific gi before and thought they were pretty damn good for the money.