Hoshin Ryu Sword Curriculum and Niten Ichi Ryu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by ScottUK, Nov 26, 2006.

1. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Issues to hand:

a) Is Mr Glimme teaching something that he learned formally?
    b) If a) is yes, does he have permission to teach?
    c) If a) is no, then where did he learn the seiho?
    d) If b) is no, then he is breaching intellectual copyright.

As far as I see this, the techniques on the DVDs belong to HNIR, and although he is not using the name, he has still took the techniques and marketing them without permission. Think of copying a movie script, renaming it and then selling it as your own.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Saru,

Note the wording of the blurbs below taken from http://www.hoshin.com/sword.htm

*Tachi seiho is a term used specifically in Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu. No other kenjutsu ryuha in Japan uses such a term for their sword sets.

*Again a term only used in Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu - Kodachi Seiho.

** Hell of a coincidence that they teach seven Kodachi seiho, since that's the exact number of kata taught in Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu! It's even more of a coincidence that when you view the video clip, it looks identical to Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu!

*Don't need to mention it at this point, do I?

** Bugger me sideways with a bargepole! yet another coincidence! Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu teach five nito seiho.

From a gendai standpoint and not a koryu one, different belts denote different grades of proficiency do they not?

Cheers mate. :)

3. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Bless you!!! :D(sorry, thought he`d sneezed!)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  4. Paragonfortytwo

Paragonfortytwo Resident Wierdo.

Boy, you guys have been busy, I was at the dojo all day yesterday then out a lot of today, so catching up.
    I've given you all the answers I have. If you're not getting any joy out of Hoshin Hombu, or Ed-san doesn't care to comment, then there's not a lot I can do. (instert shrugging smiley here ;) ).

Hi, Hyaku-san,
    I do apreciate the delicacy of the situation between the 2 ryus and like I say, I really don't feel it's my place to comment further on this forum on this matter and that it should be handled officially.
    I trust you have read the wording on the Hoshin website and see there is no mention of HNIR? If it is as has been suggested that the kata are identical to HNIR kata, I would urge you to handle this formally and not in this ad hoc manner. Gord-Soke can bea reached via the website, URL below.
    Thank you for your patience. I regret I have insufficient information to answer this for you.

As for the point about grades, I believe the sword curriculum is an optional adjunct to the hoshinjutsu syllabus and no individual grades are awarded in it. You just do it if you want to. The Dvd proffits go into the Ryu, not to Ed-san.

FYI;
    I'm not a student of Ed-san's, and I haven't done any hoshin sword work. He is a buyo. I therefore will not comment further on the content of the dvds, no matter how many times people ask me. Nor do i know what Ed's qualifications are, again, same goes.

As for my involvement in Hoshin, it bears no relevance to the discussion other than I am a Ryu member of the Hoshinroshi Ryu Jutaijutsu Association and a deshi of the late Dr. Glenn Morris-soke.
    Hoshin covers many aspects as I have already written elsewhere, not all of which are graded by a belt system.

Hoshin is very new "officially" to Europe, we only had our first official Hoshinjutsu seminar in October, so things are somewhat in flux as we get things sorted and go through a transitional period with our new Soke. Please bear with us.

Jen.
    Kokoro Hoshin Training Centre.

PS, Sorry to be AFK so much, some of us are lucky enough spend our time training rather than at a keyboard all day. :D I'm out tomorrow and Saturday too, so please be patient.

5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Some of us have jobs, that involve sitting at keyboards lots, :cry: :cry: which we ignore to spend time on MAP :D

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Well you are one of the representatives on this side of the world. (Insert shrug smiley)

Retract the claws madam. :cool:

7. Paragonfortytwo

Paragonfortytwo Resident Wierdo.

- for my sins, yes. :eek: Everyone else took 2 steps backwards, i only took one! (insert smiley looking slightly dumb and embarassed) D'oh!

Didn't mean it nastily, meant it as, "I really am a lucky sob who isn't tied to a keyboard all the time." In "real life", I'm a housewife, gives a certain flexability to my time use, for which I am extremeley thankful. ;)

Hugs to Spooky, sat at your keyboard at work all day and anyone else with a proper job too!

Jen.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  8. ScottUK

Sorry Jen, but you aren’t the only one who actually attends a dojo. As for a ‘life away from the keyboard’, I work as an illustrator, so I have the facility to post on the various forums during the day. Apologies!

As for Mr Glimme, it is obvious from his lack of response (either via Jen or personal email) that he should not be selling DVDs of an art he does not have permission to teach. Maybe he has done a seminar, or maybe he has learnt from a DVD. Either way, the level of the DVD content makes it obvious that Mr Glimme only has had a cursory practice of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu kenjutsu.

For anyone who wishes to learn Musashi’s school of HNIR kenjutsu the correct way should be to stop by at http://www.hyoho.com and make the appropriate enquiries there.

Unless anyone has anything to add, I won’t be posting again about Mr Glimme and his highly suspect kenjutsu teachings.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  9. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Thanks for the reply. I spend about 30 minutes if that a 2 days a week on the comp. I have also spent my time practicing over ten times a week for a numer of years in Japan

I would not say this looks like HNIR. Just a poor impression with in series of movements with zero hara.

Your mention of a Westerner bearing the title of Soke just about sums it up. I have submitted it to the Bad Budo section on Ebudo. Thats where it will stay unless someone comes up with some very valid information to tell us otherwise.

10. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

This has been quiet for a while...still no word from Mr Glimme?

11. ScottUK

I am currently discussing issues with Mr Glimme via email.

12. ScottUK

Guys and girls,

I have been made aware of the reason why Hoshin Ryu teaches Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu kenjutsu (although not in name). Apparently the Hoshin guys have been told that Mr Masaaki Hatsumi holds densho from HNIR. I have addressed this point with hombu for clarification and the response was such:

"Mr Masaaki HATSUMI has absolutely nothing to do with HNIR, and does not have the permission to teach it or sell any product presenting HNIR."

Hopefully this clears up any issues in regards to Hoshin Ryu and their relationship (or lack thereof) with Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  13. Lord Spooky

But as an organisation Hoshin has nothing to do with the Bujinkan????

I sense a disturbance in the force master! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  14. ScottUK

Sorry, but I do not know the internal politics of the Booj or Hoshin. I did think that Hoshin originated from ninjutsu teachings of the Bujinkan though.

15. Lord Spooky

The founder held rank in the Bujinkan but he also held rank in a number of other arts.

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the Bujinkan in any offical way. I'll double check.

16. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoshin_Roshi_Ryu

It seems that while Glenn Morris was indeed a member of the Bujinkan at some point (to what level I don't know), there is no mention of his art being an offshoot or derivative of the Bujinkan in the Wikipedia entry.

17. Lord Spooky

IMO Mr Glimme's response sounds well dodgy!

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

in a fashion yes, but the booj has absolutely nothing to do with Hoshin, but if Hatsumi was holding something as great as the Musashi's densho's and was allowed to teach it do you think he would just sit on it?

I think Glimme needs to back up his claims really. :bang:

19. eternalseeker

eternalseeker Valued Member

Hoshin is Hoshin; Bujinkan is Bujinkan.

They are not "linked" save that a fairly high proportion of Hoshin practitioners also train in the Bujinkan and that the head of Hoshin is a Bujinkan shidoshi.

Glenn was a 9th Dan in the Bujinkan before he died and, posthumously awarded 10th dan by Hatsumi earlier this year.

Scott - perhaps you could post the full details of the reply/discussion.

Craig

20. ScottUK

Not without Mr Glimme's permission, I'm afraid.

However, the main issue I had was where Mr Glimme learned his techniques, and the answer given was "Soke Morris & the internet". That pretty much summed things up for me.