Horse stance obsolete?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Anonymouse, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zerocool

Zerocool New Member

More Stances = More Options
    I have a hard time thinking almost any stance does not have its relevance.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

haha, I was thinking that. They are like sumo squats, where your legs are wider. It noticably works the inner thighs more, and stretching dynamically like this will give cross-over to MA. If you want flexibility though, there are better stretches.

3. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Ive never seen horse stance in judo.......

Then im mixing it up with another exersize...........................
    If so, then it IS more effective, its an extention of horse stance!

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

The difference is that the human mind is relieved by motion, a really tough excersise involving motion is always more pleasent to do than a really tough excersise that does not require motion.

5. Zerocool

Zerocool New Member

Thank you cybermonk. You were the only reply I received in my thread.

6. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

"Ive never seen horse stance in judo......."

You've never freeze framed at the right time. Horse stance is NOT a static position.

It may be the launch pad for a technique that transitions from one stance to another in a fraction of a second. As I said, good root, good base. Same thing, different words.

Paul

7. Ad McG

No, if you sit in horse stance and move up and down, you are SQUATTING in a wide position.

8. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Well, that settles it for me!

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

If Horse Stance is not a static position, why on EARTH would you want to train it in a static manner?

10. Ad McG

BECAUSE IT'S HARDCORE AND MONKS DO IT! Now let's go bang some nails into boards with our heads.

11. Trent Tiemeyer

:D

As mixed martial artists, every exercise we do is intended to maximize our performance and potential. The horse stance just does not stand up to the squat in that regard.

12. Ad McG

Close the thread, quick :D

13. Trent Tiemeyer

Can't do it. This is the most excitement this forum has had since last week's PPVs.

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Just squat.

Much more beneficial, not to mention faster results :p

15. Trent Tiemeyer

I thought it was a little odd having a good thread without Yuki present.

16. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

awww :) thats nice :love: tis good to be missed!

My power supply blew up on me computer! been having problems ever since! so i havent been on here much :(

17. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I think what is meant by the words "static position" is that in combat you don't sit in horse stance for 10 seconds and try to punch them like the drills in training. You'd drop into a horse stance to evade a bear hug ... etcetera, etcetera, then you'd pop back up and hit someone. Stop knocking the horse stance, if you don't want to do it don't and stop knocking TMA. If you don't want to do it, don't. Can someone please put a cap on this thread? - it has turned into another TMA vs MMA discussion

18. Trent Tiemeyer

No it hasn't. It is a horse stance vs. squat discussion, and it's going fine. Squats are nothing new, they have been around as long as the horse stance. They are not an MMA innovation, what they ARE is effective, which is why MMA schools swear by them.

"You'd drop into a horse stance to evade a bear hug ... etcetera, etcetera, then you'd pop back up and hit someone."

Sounds like a SQUAT.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  19. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

TMA schools also swear by their horse stance. I like it fine. Trying to keep up with science has taught me something - if the old stuff works you shouldn't disregard it even though the newer stuff seems better. Beacause normally you're getting screwed. I bet sweet'n low, equal and other aspartame stuff are gonna be illegal sometime in the future.

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Calm down :) Lets turn this back into the horse stance vs squat discussion that it once started off as, rather than helping it turn into a TMA vs MMA you are accusing it of being :)

Squats are a highly effective, and quick (from what ive noticed )means of strengthening the legs. I remember when i had knee problems, i turned to squats and after a few weeks / months the pain started going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.