Hooking Kicks

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Xue Fang, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Alright, I got an easy one for y'all. I want to know everything there is to know about hooking kicks. How they're executed, how they're used, in what situations have they worked for you (or not worked)? I gather that in some clubs a hooking kick is called something else... what is it? And why? :confused:

The reason for my curiosity is that I'll need to be able to perform a hooking kick when I get to the next grade up, but we're already being taught it now so we can practise enough to be reasonably good at it then. Last week we were briefly shown hooking kick (by brief I mean a demonstration of two hooking kicks) and then told to get on with it, but I'm really confused because different people in our club seem to do it slightly different... and I don't know what the starting position is for it either. Also, how would you do a reverse hooking kick? I can't get my mind around the concept of a reverse hooking kick.

Cheers,

Xue Fang

2. angry

angry Valued Member

Hooking kicks take a fair bit to explain and is much easier to do this face to face and demonstrate while you explain. To perform with the power and speed required to be effective take a fair amount of work on your part and some careful observation and guidance from your instructor. Ask you instructor before or after class to go though it with you and have him/her correct your technique. Practice for a while and after a week or to ask again to see what else needs to be improved. Do this until it is feeling like a natural reflex motion.

ps: I think that your instructor should have paid more attention to detail when introducing a new technique to students as bad habits form quickly and take a long time to break.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

4. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

its difficult to see exactly which kick that is, could be reverse hook kick, could be reverse turning kick.

5. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

The bend in his knee sure makes it look like a spinning hook kick.

6. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I think we're meant to be discussing the non spinning variety here.

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

The way I've always known it to be is like a side kick "striking" to the side of your target, but then you snap the lower part of your leg back into the target from the knee, striking with the heel. That's the simplest explanation I can think of. It's quite good when you're in slightly closer than usual to get around someone's guard and hit the side or back of the head.

8. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

I think Another TKD Guy pretty much has it down, I'd just point out that you should use your hips to pull your leg through the target and not just rely on the snapping motion of the heel retraction.

9. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

There are 2 types of hooking kick. Traditional hooking kick is detailed in the encyclopedia and is used in Juche tul move #8 and is always exexcuted to the middle. For those that do not do Juche, it is used in Ko-dang also #34 and 35. This is the defensive hooking kick.

The offensive is called reverse hooking kick and used commonly in free sparring, to spin with it, it is called spinning reverse hooking kick.

10. To me Reverse Hooking Kick is easier than Reverse Turning Kick. If you've got good momentum it's an extremely powerful kick. The attack is a whipping motion, and if caught on the jaw is a knockout. It's probably better for sparring than self-defence....

And the Korean for it is Bandae [Reverse] Golcho[Hooking] Chagi [Kick]

11. KorTong

KorTong Banned Banned

I agree, this kick is not good for (outside) self defense. This is better suited for free sparring as it is easy to lose balance and execution (timing) is difficult. But very effective nonetheless

12. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

13. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Well you could say that about all kicks and punches couldnt we

i think youll find its bandae dollyo goro chagi.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

there is something missing in the end of the kick (maybe it's not the very best picture/demonstration), but it seems that the guy spins then lifts his leg and simply touches the target, there is no power behind it, and you can continue rotating too.

15. Liam Cullen

The chamber after the kick has his knee pointing in the wrong direction, or is that just me?

16. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

it looks as if hes just pulling the leg back to the chamber position and not following thru the target but hes a karate guy and they do stuff differnetly. but its almost like a rev hooking kick

17. Liam Cullen

It looks more like a spin side-kick with that end chamber position, but with a bad foot position. I'd be interested to see a video of that type of hook to see the motion between the strike and the retraction.

18. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Also if you're struggling to get height on your hooking kicks then bend the supporting leg and lean back slightly and your kick should gain height. Leaning back also has the advantage of putting your head further away from your opponent. Just don't lean back too far or you'll fall over!! :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  19. baron

baron Valued Member

No, that is NOT how you do it. Why do so many people insist on looking at the kick? You are destroying your technique, power, and speed. Your upper body should be facing away from your target at the moment of impact.

20. Liam Cullen

That's odd I'd suggest that by not looking at your kick you're destroying your technique, power, and speed. Guess it depends how you're taught