Honorary Black Belt

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Nevada_MO_Guy, Apr 20, 2005.

?

An Honorary Black Belt is:

1. Ok with me. The organization knows what they are doing.

14 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Ok, if the honorees job puts them in a position to help the organization.

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Ok, if the honorees political status puts them in a position to help the organization.

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Ok, if the honorees monetary contributions help the organization.

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Ok, if the honoree is a survivor of some kind of tragedy.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Not ok with me

48 vote(s)
    57.1%
  7. My opinion not listed but I promise to list it in the thread and not just vote.

12 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

How do you feel about the "honorary black belt"? :cry:

I'm not talking about paying a certain fee and after puting in 'some' time getting a black belt.

I'm talking about recieving a black belt based on your contributions to a certain association, job title, political alignment or even your health.

Below are a few pieces I've found out of many. But you can get the idea.

REDONDO BEACH, CA - Kate Adamson, stroke survivor and noted author of the motivational book "Kate's Journey" was recently presented an HONORARY 1st degree Black Belt in Taekwon-do and a lifetime membership to the Progressive Taekwon-do and Budo Alliance (PTBA) by the PTBA founder - Sr. Master Monty Hendrix, the PTBA V.P. - Ellen Hendrix, and West Coast PTBA Director - Prince Loeffler at the Academy of Judo and Karate.
    http://www.katesjourney.com/blackbelt.html

Mayor Awarded Honorary Black Belt
    The Mayor received an honorary black belt, as the city’s chief executive officer, and he witnessed the presentation of this award by the Olympian Master coach Najem.

http://riroads.com/news/20050125blackbelt.htm

Russian President Putin Gets Honorary Black Belt
    SEOUL, February 27 (Xinhuanet) -- The head of the International Judo Federation (IJF) Tuesday awarded Russian President Vladimir Putin an honorary seventh grade black belt during his visit to Seoul.

http://202.84.17.11/english/htm/20010227/378780.htm

I presented to Dr. Scott after my daughter's first surgery an "Honarary Black Belt" in my style of Kempo Jujitsu. The document is also notorized making it an official document. The chinese charactors for black belt and Quality are the same.
    http://www.moyamoya.com/board/posts/656.html

In recognition of his commitment to improving the quality of life in our community, and especially in honor of his work to protect and educate our youth, The Instructors and students of Oom Yung Doe in the Boston area presented Representative Peter J. Koutoujian with an Honorary Black Belt at the annual New Year’s Banquet on January 15, 2005.
    http://www.8martialarts.com/communityinvolvement.htm

United States Senator Debbie Stabenow was this years guest of honor and was awarded her honorary black belt by Dr. Ahmed during pre-event festivities and went on to address the competitors in support of martial arts competition.
    http://www.prokarateweekly.com/storypage/Stories2.htm

During the World Cup Sensei Hidetaka Nishiyama awarded the major sponsor of the Word Cup - Mr. Ryszard Krauze - Chairman of the Management Board of Prokom Software with the Honorary Black Belt.
    http://www.karate.pl/ps2003e/

The taekwondo demonstration was designed to celebrate the fact that Little Rock is hosting the American Taekwondo Association's 35th annual world championships. The event brings more than $5 million into the Arkansas economy each year. The ATA, which is headquartered at Little Rock, has awarded the governor an honorary black belt designation.
    http://www.arkansas.gov/governor/current_events/events2004.html

2. angry

angry Valued Member

I think that it is between the person giving the award out and the recipient. I am not concerned that they haven't trained and may have no skills in the arts but they should have shown the aims your school promotes like modesty, integrity, self control, indomitable spirit etc...

It is an award to honour someone for what was considered by your school as an important example to others. Everyone should understand it is not a full rank and they can't go and start teach a class etc... I feel they should be of great personal integrity and honour and achieved something outside the ordinary!

Standards between schools and styles vary a large amount. Each school has their own standard requirements for a black belt. So each school may have it's own honorary belts to be given to someone how has set a great example to us all. It just will depend on what each school considers as something to honour.

The only thing that taints this whole thing, is the handing out of honorary belts to anyone to get publicity for their school and themselves.

Of course NO martial artist would do that! :D :D :D

3. angry

angry Valued Member

Putin from all reports is highly trained in both judo and possibly sambo. The reviews I've seen on the judo book that he co-authored have be good, but I haven't seen a copy in here in Australia. It is quite a common occurrence for senior ranks to be awarded for contributions to the furthering of the art. So this maybe be rightfully deserved.

Either that or he had is old mates from the KGB blackmail someone for it! :D

4. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

As long as everyone knows there Honoury I can't see the problem.

5. justinksw

justinksw Valued Member

If someone is given a black belt without training, I have a problem with that.

If someone is given an honorary black belt then it is just that and I don't really have a problem as long as it is made clear that it is just that. That person should have some phenomenal reason they deserve it, not just because they're famous. An example I can think of would be if someone made a huge contribution to a dojang (be it monetary, or equipment) and it was not solicited, nor did they have any gain from it financially or politically. Another example would be if someone who doesn't train went out of their way to promote a studio publicly and it gained attendance at the studio directly as a result of the promoting. They might be eligible for an honorary bb.

In my opinion, giving someone an honorary black belt just because they're famous is just wrong. It should be 'earned' just like we all must earn ours (except we earn ours through tons of training).

6. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Even if it is honorary I just have a problem with someone getting what others have worked so diligently to receive. That's just my opinion though :D

7. FATSAN

FATSAN Valued Member

It would be better if they called it something else - A black belt shows a students progress within a school syllabus nothing else. Also I think some schools provide honorary awards to people for the wrong reasons. They should be presented as an acknowledgement of some sort of achievement or quality that the school stands for and not as a means of spreading the name of a school and getting some cheap publicity.

8. Nevada_MO_Guy

Quite true. According to the article he has studied judo from age 11 and written a book on the sport.

He was awarded a Honorary 7th degree...so...I'm assuming he already earned up to a 6th degree with hard work on his own.... :confused:

But it doesn't hurt to be a president either. :)

Anyone know if he was already a blackbelt...or did he just jump up to 7th?

9. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Have never heard of this before. I don't agree with it at all

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Seems it happens all the time anyway. Instructors give them out a lot.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

At the State University where I worked my butt off to get my degrees they give out honorary bachelors and masters degrees every year to local, state, and national people who have contributed something special to the university, its students, and the community. I spent 4 years in the military and then worked part time jobs and lived in poverty to earn something that these people are given. How does that make me feel?

Great. I respect the work that I did to earn a functioning degree from my University. These people who are awarded an honorary degree didn't ask for it and aren't going to go and use that somewhere for gain. It is award that says "Here's something that we value to show you our appeciation". When the University picks these people (all great people) and bestows upon them an honorary degree, I feel good because I hold a "real" degree from the same place.

I feel the same way about black belts. An honorary black belt is not a real one. It's just a way of saying "Thank you for what you have done for us."

By the way, being given a "key to the city" doesn't really open up all the doors in the city! :D

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I don't like them for two reasons:

People spend years training for a black belt. To most TMAers it is a major accomplishment. I find it insulting to hand one out as an "honour". Give them a plaque of appreciation, a cash gift or free training. Not a black belt; it's like buying it. They didn't earn it through blood, sweat, testing, and knowledge.

It's too political. I don't need some yoyo waving around a blacxk sash in my style because he kissed up to Sijo, just so he can then join another organization where he can kiss up to more people because he has so many honourifics.

13. Thomas

I don't see them giving out honorary black belts as an actual rank that people can go to a martial arts school and wear it and act like someone of that rank, let alone seek promotion based on that honorary belt.

I would agree if a school gives out real black belts to people who pay for them... that's different (see the back pages of any magazine for those!)

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm thinking of the more subtle politics, Thomas.

The National College of Martial Arts is a prime example. What the heck is it and does anyone know anyone who is a member? To the best of my knowledge it's some dude handing out honourary ranks to encourage people to join his little group of ass kissers, to be blunt. And since when can you hand out honourary black belts in a style you're utterly unfamiliar with, like Lou Angel does?!? Sorry, that honourary black belt is pure politics, and I want nothing to do with it.

15. Thomas

Ahh... we are talking about two different thing then. The example you list above I do not know... but it sounds like some sort of black belt mill (like a diploma mill).

If you read the references in the original post, the question is about people who have done something great and are recognized with an honorary, i.e. non-functional, black belt.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yeah, but I'm an attorney, I always have to point out the slippery slope that exists, lol. :rolleyes:

17. Nevada_MO_Guy

Very good points Thomas. Honorary educational degrees just seem wrong. But like you said they are just showing their appreciation. Still sucks though.

I guess one of the factors that "feel" wrong is the title Black Belt has a certain history and reverence. When one attains a Black Belt it is where everyone in that discipline is trying to go.

In an educational school there are many different paths; Associates, Bachelors, Masters, Doctors...I'm not up on the hierarchy but I'm sure there is something above a Doctoral Degree. Then there are different course for each as well...Law, Medical, Science...etc.

Now if they started handing out honorary Deans' and Chancellors'

18. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I have a problem with someone getting an honorary black belt. It something people put years of work into, and is just given to someone for whatever reason.

It's that same as giving someone who gave a lot of money to a university an honorary degree

19. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

It's not OK with me at all. It's true that people deserve recognition for the time and effort they put into a club or whatever, but that recognition need not come in the form of a black belt they could quite easily provide some other award. A black belt is supposed to be indicative of fighting ability, if it wasn't earned through fighting skill it isn't relevant.

20. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Hell no its not ok with me.
    I bust my guts 7 days a week training, with a prolapsed disc which results in severe sciatica and causes me a great deal of pain, and here they are just handing them out :eek:
    If someone told me they were a honorary black belt I would snot them. :D