Hombu style???

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Shihuo, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

Hi all. I was looking at different MA schools here in Ottawa(Canada), and saw that the only on that was near to me was one that taught a "Hombu" style of Akido.

Any one ever hear of this style?? And if so, what is the diff??

Thanks.:cool:

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

honbu means "headquarters", so hombu could conciecably be the same work romanized differently.

So the honbu dojo would be the main dojo, honbu style could mean the style taught at the main dojo. Why they'd call it that I have no idea though, and what would consistute as the main dojo with so many different branches I got no idea.

Or it could be an entirely different word....

Don't know if that is much help though...

anyway, try google ;)

3. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

I guess I should have mentioned so in my origonal posting... but I did search a couple "google" type engines, and found only responses of the same nature in which you mention.

However, that having been said the site thus says that it "teaches Hombu Style Aikido".

Thus my question.

Check it out.... http://www.dragonlan.net/aikido/

:cool: Regards...

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

As far as I know it refers to the Aikido as taught in the main lineage from Ueshiba Sensei - i.e. the original style as opposed to one of the several variations like Tomiki or Yoshinkan for example.

5. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

Ahhh...I see... So they're just saying that they are teaching the "root" form of it....lol...why didn't they just put that on there?!? ok...thanks for the defining of their terms...:D

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

They did - they just put it in Japanese :D

7. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Anyone in Aikido making claims about 'hombu' is almost always referring to the Aikikai hombu, which is the case here. Every style of Aikido (every martial art really) has its own hombu, but given the direct lieage to Ueshiba the Aikikai possibly have a strong claim to not having to qualify 'hombu' with any more description.

8. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

ahh.. I see. By the way, has anyone ever heard of Mitsugi Saotome Shihan? What is the guys rep like?

Regards...

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The other guys are right about "hombu" dojo. Every style of aikido has it's own hombu, but when you see it in an ad to the general public, it refers to the Aikikai style of aikido, which is headed by O'Sensei's grandson. This is the style that O'Sensei passed to his son who passed it to his son.

Saotome is the head of the "Aikido Schools of Ueshiba" in the USA. He lives in FL but his main dojo is in Washington, DC. His reputation is excellent. His aikido is excellent. He is a professional aikido instructor loyal to the memory and teachings of O'Sensei. Saotome was an uchideshi with O'Sensei for 15 years, if I remember right. Some long period of time, anyway. Two of his 5th-dan students publish the international magazine "Aikido Today" (Ronald Rubin, Susan Perry). I believe it is Rubin who organizes the annual Aiki Expo in Las Vegas, but I could be mistaken. Saotome has written at least two books on aikido, and he has made at least three videos. One video is on the bokken, one is on the jo, and one is on aikido with two swords. Students of the #2 ASU man, Sensei Ikeda, in Boulder, Colorado, wrote a book on aikido. Both Saotome and Ikeda give seminars around the world, as do some of their high-ranking students.

The ASU and most other aikido organizations are affiliated with the Aikikai hombu dojo. That means that rank earned by a student in one of Saotome's ASU dojos (and any other affiliated dojo) is recognized as a legitimate aikido rank by O'Sensei's grandson, and is recorded in the Aikikai record books in Tokyo, Japan. This probably has more to do with politics than aikido skill, but anyway, it's nice for the black belts.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2003
  10. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

i would have to say that mos hombu styles are a refelection of the kisshamura(first dosu) aikido as he was the main teacher after the war as his father spent more time in iwama developing aikido with aiki ken and aiki jo which he says is the most important part of aikido. in iwama he said 70 % buki waza(weapons) and 30 % taijutsu also 70 % hard solid kihon and 30 % ki no nagare. were as the doshu wanted more ki no nagare tai jutsu. also dosh didint want kiai where as his father was the complete opposite

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Stan Pranin, publisher of Aiki Journal, puts on the Aiki Expo. People who have gone tell me it's excellent.