Holm will fight before Rousey rematch. Tate?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

He had his shot, he lost. 5 fights later he's likely to get another. That's hardly ignored.

3. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

He did lose against Aldo, but he has kicked big bumbum since.

4. Ben Gash CLF

If Aldo hadn't been injured in the summer Edgar would likely have fought Mcgregor last month.

5. PsychoElectric

Its such the obvious fight.... both had wins in the first round and took no damage, both are in shape.
    I would have given them six weeks and said fight.
    It is what martial arts fans want to see.

6. PsychoElectric

Ps - i dont actually know what you mean by this?

7. Ben Gash CLF

The reason that Edgar has waited so long for another title shot is because the Aldo-McGregor fight was so delayed. Ideally what should have happened is they fought in the summer as planned and then Edgar would have fought the winner last month.

8. PsychoElectric

Well actually, Edgar imo, should have fought Macgregor for the interim title.
    Im from the southern hemisphere.

edit: what would be the point of two interim title fights before Aldo?

9. PsychoElectric

Anywho... What do you guys think about a Holm v Tate fight?

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Edgar and Mendes had a fight as a number 1 contenders match....however that fight was technically a "reserve" fight for Edgar. If Aldo got injured again against McGregor or even vice versa, they would have Edgar as standby. Who is trained and ready to go...but they couldn't justify giving him a can, so Mendes was the obvious choice.
    (If Mendes won, then he would've got a rematch)

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There were noises about giving Edgar Mcgregor after he beat Poirier and Siver but Mcgregor talked it down and Edgar openly said Conor wasn't on his level yet and didn't deserve the fight. So Mcgregor got Mendes instead and the rest is history as they say.

edit: Very happy for Holm to fight again. Getting really bored of the rematches for champions tying up the top of the division for another year. Lose your title, come back to another top 5 person, maybe earn yourself a rematch depending on what else is going on in the division. I appreciate that I think champs are getting rematch clauses as part of their contracts but still. Its draining and it seems people are getting bored of it. And the bigger problem is rematches happen to much at the top level that it means when you get the odd fight that is truy deserving of a rematch (I think there was a case to be made for a rubber match with Bendo, Edgar, or maybe having Lauzon and Miller fight again or something like that) people are so sick of rematches that its a hard sell to make for anything other than a title.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  12. Combat Sports

I agree. It would be different if it was constroversial close decisions. Like I wouldn't mind Condit getting another shot. But Rousey's fight was down right embarrassing.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think Tate could beat her - it's where I'd put my money. Tate will go in with a game plan, she's a really strong wrestler and she's good at grinding out victories. It might not be the most exciting fight, but it's the right one to make in a sporting context.

14. Ben Gash CLF

WTH???? McGregor to fight Dos Anjos for the lightweight title?????? Now Edgar's being ignored.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am just glad they aren't making Holm wait to fight until Roussey is ready. I don't care who she fights next.

Tate deserves it - because she got robbed by getting told she would get the next title fight and then having it yanked out from under her.

That said, if she fights, I will REALLY enjoy it if she loses to Holm as I really dislike her.

16. Combat Sports

Oddly enough, Tate has a far better skill set to fight Holly Holm then Rousey does.