Hmm.. looks interesting.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by xubis, Sep 1, 2003.

1. xubis

xubis New Member

Hey, I am thinking of starting TKD to mix with shotokan, Chazz said is would be good, I read up on it, and seeing that shotokan focus' on power punces etc, I would like to learn powerful kicks, which I read TKD can teach, I have seen a little bit of TKD, and it looks good, is there any other opinions on mixing them? Oh, and I have looked around, but not found much, does anyone know of any dojos/schools in the Norfolk/Cambridgeshrie area? (England ;))

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

:) thanks for the "name drop"

Just go out and try it one day and see what you think. Then let us know how you do in them both and how well you think they mix.

3. xubis

xubis New Member

There is a class once a week at my high school, but I only get 3 and a half hours or shotokan a week to, there are no dojos where I live, just classes held at halls. I will look into it and see if they will mingle together.

4. Holgate

Holgate New Member

TKD wise you can check the TABG website and you'll be able to find classes in your area there. http://www.tagb.biz/ or http://www.tagbtimes.co.uk/

don't know too much about other associations to be honest as the TAGB is the one I train with. I think these days they are affiliated to Tae Kwon Do International, but the basis of the whole thing is ITF.

did shotokan for a while myself, killed my back after a while and had to give up, I strangely find TKD actually helps keep the pain down in my back despite some of the kicks and sparring I have to do

5. Chazz

What was it that made your back hurt?

6. Taeho

Taeho New Member

We have a blackbelt shotokan student at our dojang. Other than using his upper body a little too much (out of habit), he's doing quit well. He told me that it's really worked out well for him having TKD in his arsonal.

TKDshane Ÿ

7. Holgate

Holgate New Member

Doctor or myself arn't quite sure, down to a possible couple of ideas one being a road accident I had when I was ten, but also the other being the fact of when I started and gave up karate, started at the age of 7 and finished at 9 because of school work but I didn't take another form of exercise so lost flexibility which now they think may have resulted in two of the vertibria fusing together.

I just found with Shotokan the stress on my back was too concentrated in one area and yet with TKD it seems to even it out for some reason. Shouldn't happen because they are similar arts in many ways, but for some reason it does

8. xubis

xubis New Member

Yes, I got my big fat blue MA book out, and have done some thinking. I have read that the kicks in TKD are powerful, and they are aimed at head height. Using power concentration techniques from Shotokan, the kicks could be made even more powerful :D I am definatley thinking of joining. Thanks for the link Holgate, :D, I am looking into it. I am going to have to get a weekend job, I can't expect my mum and dad to pay for everything :-\ Hopefully it will be worth it though ;)

9. Chazz

If you like the martial arts, then im sure you will think it is well worth it. Good luck

10. xubis

xubis New Member

Thank you, still haven't found a club.. very.. strange. That link seems to have no clubs for my area, nor in the nearest biggest city either :p

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

don't give up xubis. tkd is really great and i'm sure u'll love it, but then again i may not be objective since i can't live without it. but u should have a go at it anyway. tkd is very dynamic. so, if u r into that....
    i agree with what Chazz said...''Then let us know how you do in them both and how well you think they mix.''