Hitting a Woman?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by DirtyHarry, Dec 18, 2006.

1. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry Warrior

hey everyone. a staggering question just came to mind. would any man here ever hit a woman in self defense? i know we have grown up in a society not to hit women, but what if a woman pulls a knife out on you or stuff like this? we always think of a guy always doing stuff like this, but what if a woman held you up or abused you? very interested to see some replies on this subject how would you respond to it? ethically speaking heh. thanks!

2. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

If it came to life or death, I may but only to a point, Enough to stop the attack or give me time to get away.
    Personally there is nothing lower than hitting a woman, and that at least to me still applies in a situation like that, there are few women that can do anything to me to actually hurt me, so I'm not overtly worried that something like that would ever happen.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Question is what would you do if a woman pulled a knife on you? Would you act any differently because it was a woman? Do you think that you could defend yourself better because it was a woman vs a man? We have prisons here filled with women criminals for various types of crimes including murder. So what would you do?

4. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Good luck to her, I know how to knife fight, I have used a knife in fights, I know how to defend against a knife, you better have the luck of god if you think to hurt me with a knife, whether man or woman, you're gonna need it.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yeah, actually my post was in reference to the original poster.......

6. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I kinda figured, still threw my two cents in as I didn't with my first post.

7. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

I don't think it makes a difference. Like I would with a man, I will try to prevent a fight from happening or simply run away if at all possible. Only if I feel she's seriously planning to hurt me will I fight back, though I admit I'd probably end up holding back a little more than I would with a man. If she pulls a knife or other weapon then all bets are definitely off. It only takes a moment of assuming your opponent can't hurt you to be poked in the eye or punched in the neck. Really, the standards should be the same.

8. DirtyHarry

DirtyHarry Warrior

yea i totally agree with the above person, it shouldnt make a difference, but its just generally men are bigger and stronger then women so thats why they think its not okay to hit a girl if they abuse you or try to hurt you. referring to above person a couple posters back, it would depend on the woman. if she was a little drunk or something and not a huge sized monster, then i would just disarm like usual but not cause much damage. if it was like a 6'5" woman and really wanted to hurt me, then i would defend myself like i would against a man lol but it just really depends on the girl. im just curious what other people have been taught about a woman abuser to a man and how to treat that situation

9. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Realistically, if someone is attacking you, they aren't looking for a dance. It would be silly to not defend yourself against someone because of a physical attribute. Would you not defend yourself against a black man because he was black? One has nothing to do with another.

I'd hit her. I'd hit her if she was smaller then I was. She's attacking me. I didn't go up to random chicks and say, hey, hit me!

I never understood the whole guys can't hit girls thing.

10. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Perhaps it's the whole honorable code of man thing, women are to be respected, admired and cared for to the best of our ability, not smacked around. The honest truth is women are smaller and weaker then men in many many cases and don't often stand a chance, even when they know how to defend themselves a guy that outweighs them by 100lbs and knows how to fight as well will get the upper hand, it's weak and cowardly to use that against a woman, that's not a fair fight.

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I can definitely understand and respect a man would find it difficult to 'hit' a woman in self defence. I guess for the girls who may want another perspective on this question, what would you do if a child was attacking you with a weapon. A child here being under 18 years of age.

I would also have problems defending myself because of social conditioning and would only try to restrain them using 'reasonable force'. Not attack them all out as I would probably attempt to do if a man was attacking me.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  12. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Nobody's saying to "beat on" women. Obviously, if she's just hitting on you or even throwing things at you or anything else where the intention isn't seriously deadly, then the standard code of "a man should never hit a woman" applies. I'd definitely let a woman get away with a lot more in terms of just harrassing me or even physically beating on me--but if I felt she was seriously trying to kill or maim me, then I'd do what I have to to protect myself.

Though it's a very hypothetical situation most men will never find themselves in, if a woman were to try to use deadly force on you then you'd be a fool not to defend yourself in the same way you would against a man. Just because she's a one-hundred pound girl and you're a two-hundred pound guy doesn't mean you're invincible.

Also, what if it's this girl who attacks you? :eek:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/326899/female_powerlifter_daniela_sell_from_germany/

13. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

I've had a woman try to kill me, didn't take much at all to stop her and control her.

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I would do the same to her as I did with a male.
    I would take her knife off her, put her in a wrist lock and ask her what the hell she was doing. If she puts up a fight, I would break her wrist. That should hopefully calm her down.

15. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

:confused:
    Wanna meet me in the ring? :D

You do have a point there. Im used to geting smashed and creamed by some men in the ring. But when it comes to woman they complain I fight too hard :confused:
    And they get scared. A lot of woman I have meet have trouble fighting because its not in their nature. It makes me sad to see the front page of the newspaper to see that another woman got raped by some dork. I respect men that can't hit woman because they have control over them selves, But somtimes those type of men need to fight back. I mean what the hell do you do? Stand there while some crazy woman is stabbing you with a knife? No you fight back and show them who's boss or you can run away. :eek:

Ok I shut up now. :)

16. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Its nice to know that sexism is alive and well. ;)

Which is basically all this is. Anyone who will not defend themselves properly because of some sort of bias about their attacker is bound to get the worse side of things.

But then, maybe I just travel in different circles with differnt women who can shovel out more then given.

17. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

If push came to shove then yeah, nobody is above an ass kicking.

18. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

You'd be a fool to give a woman the advantage of being a woman, don't underestimate them.
    I believe in reasonable force. There's no need to pummel a person but reasonable force to stop the situation should be acceptable regardless of gender. Granted for a lot of women this force wouldn't need to be much

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

My take: The moment someone attacks you all gender issues are irrelevant. However, common sense should still prevail. If you're defending yourself, it's all about keeping yourself safe, not about handing out punishment to your attacker, regardless of their gender.

And Wry, I know your sexism comment was directed against the guys here (and I'm inclined to agree with you) but I'd like to point out that the whole "men shouldn't hit women under any circumstances" sexism goes both ways. I doubt I'm the only guy who's been hit by a woman who's done it purely because they believe they're able to hide behind their gender to get away with it.

20. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Not necessarily, most men have been socially conditioned not to hit women. It can be a hard habit to break, I still feel bad about getting a good hit in when sparring.

I would like to think I would do what it takes to stop a female attacker but being honest I doubt I would hurt them as much as a male attacker.