History or PE

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MartialJac, Jun 25, 2006.

1. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Under which heading would you place your M/A

2. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

Art
    erm...
    obviously?

3. CKinnerley

CKinnerley Will fight for peace/food

Well I think really there's only 1 anwser to that. History if you ask me is a theoretical subject, PE is practical, actually getting up and doing stuff. If you spend more time in class doing theory than linework/sparring/pattern, you're not really doing a Martial Art at all.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Neither since PE and History are school subjects. Apart from wrestling and maybe boxing, MA isn't taught in schools.

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

6. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

I don't have any evidence to display but I seem to remember watching a clip that showed certain schools in Korea teaching TKD. However if the above statement only apllies to the US and UK then I think this is correct. However if I am wrong could someone tell me.

To answer the orginal question P.E.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It would be really useful if you defined your terms here. What would make a martial art a history versus physical education?

Best I can do without knowing that is this: I don't think it has anything to do with the style per say. But I have seen different teachers embody what I imagine you're getting at. Take my current class. Thankfully, the head of my arnis group is turning out to be much more open minded than I initially feared. But initially I had us chalked up as history (him) versus physical education (me). He talked a lot about the culture, about preserving styles, cataloging techniques, etc. I wanted to gear up and test conclusions. (I wanted to know about the culture, mind you. That's why I'm sticking with this group. I'm often the only non-Filipino in the group.)

His style of training is very lecture based. He lectures, gives the students something to work on, and then talks about it some more. I want to keep moving. Let me learn by experience. Not by lecture. Theory, history, and culture can come from lecture. But there needs to be a good balance between that and action.

Stuart

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've met quite a few Indonesians that said that some form of Penjak Silat was taught in their grade schools as physical education.

Many of them could still remember basic moves and some sort of forms. Interesting. They appeared to have taken it quite seriously. Whether or not it'd have been a tamer version (I suspect) would be interesting to know.

I'm pretty sure that the idiot/nutter that runs N. Korea has his elite students training to protect the Great Leader to the death using whatever it is he figures he's invented.

9. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Sorry I meant as a comparison, should have included Art and science

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Comparison to what?

You need to state your questions a bit more clearly if you want people to respond with useful answers. Next time make it easy and just make it a poll. That way you can look at the percentages.

11. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Bummer. And I got all excited too. I was hoping for an exceptional debate about the American education system and whether or not increasing academic courses while reducing physical education time was the proper direction to be headed. Especially considering the current obesity problem coupled with the increasing variety of recreational diversions which seem to subtract from academic pursuits.

Ohhh welll. :rolleyes:

Sparring...more fun than dodge ball (i know that's hard to beat). However, my dojo does end its kiddie classes with a game of dodge ball with nerf balls. :woo: :woo: Is it just me or wasn't half the fun of dodge ball making some poor kid catch the red rubber ball with his face?

Not much history in a dropped guard and a fat lip.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then go with that question. Get us started. Maybe this thread can still be turned into something useful.

:)

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I teach Capoeira in several schools, here.

By the way, the original question is difficult to understand.

paz,

dormindo

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Some associations offer GCSEs in Karate so I've heard

(apologies if someone has already made this point; it's late and I didn't read through every post)

15. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I've always believed it important to train the mind and body equally. I think it was Sylvester Stallone who once said, "I train my body to keep up with my mind." Our own Slipthejab, "Lifting weight also serves as a function that not many think of... it's a great way to relax. It gives the rest of the harddrive a chance to spin down so to speak... being able to focus on a specific task at hand is a great way to relax." Original Thread

There are other successful school systems around the world that incorporate both academia and physical exercise to a high degree. I had the opportunity to visit Japan for a couple weeks, and my hotel was near a local highschool. Japanese schools seem to have an exemplary selection of after school training in the form of sports clubs supervised by the teachers. This, combined with two half-school days on Saturday, and sports events on the weekends, means Japanese students spend a fair portion of their youth in school. While their American counterparts are getting ready to go home, Japanese students are changing their clothes to go practice volleyball, soccer, judo, kendo, even badmitton or one of the other dozen sports that are offered. Even the poorer schools in Japan seem to offer a larger selection of sports than the richer schools in the U.S. Most of this learned thru observation and in conversation with some of the locals.

Additionally we should look at the well known effects of exercise on children. The last three effects on the list also have a direct correlation with mental acuity and academic performance.

So is it better to decrease PE classes while increasing academice courses in science, history and math? Why are we still serving cokes and candies in the lunch room which have shown to create a "sugar rush" followed by a "crash" and still expect the students to maintain an equal level of alertness throughout the academic day?

16. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

Kyokushinkai Karate = P.E. 89% of the time with the ocassional History lesson

17. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Has it really gotten to this?

I mean really, i know us MAPers LOVE to put labels on everything, but I mean... really.. history or physical education...? Is there a martial art I'm not aware of that just sits around and reads history books?

Stop trying to define everything.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

For once, I am in complete and utter agreement with Bagpen.

Gah! What was that shooting pain in my head about?!

;) to Bagpen