Historical Pankration Training Guide

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by IMAS, Jul 17, 2013.

1. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If people are interested in pankration, I recommend reading Michael Poliakoff's Combat Sports in the Ancient World. It's not a technical manual or recreation. He's an historian. Fascinating read.

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Seen some pankration on Human Weapon, looked alot like and was described as the precursor to MMA.

Baza

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i briefly perused the links. did you use anything other than ancient artwork? like were you able to find any texts in ancient greek? or stone carvings?

just wondering. must be hard to try and deduce a fighting style from an artist's interpretation. clearly, if that's all you have, that's all you have. really just wondering.

this is all really fascinating. kudos on doing this. as a greek american myself, i think it's great.

5. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

As far as re-construction, wouldnt Jim Arvanitis's stuff be a source as well? Think hes been at it since the early 80s.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It was. Greece had wrestlers and boxers, and then pankrationists (who combined both). They fought for trophies and cash awards. Very similar. And well in advance of the Gracies. Modern Pankration, whether Jim Arvanitis or the folks in Greece, is a re-creation based either on historical evidence or on a more generic combination of (kick)boxing and wrestling.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sadly it is far too long dead to be accurately reconstructed.

Nearly every recreation I have seen captures the "spirit" of Pancration rather than the art. MMA is as close as any of those

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, that's definitely a concern. Because they're basing it on writings or illustrations on vases, etc. If we were trying to recreate the art of boxing based on a review of Rocky movies, we'd be missing the mark (good as those movies are). And the writers don't necessarily understand what they're depicting. They're writing for interest, not technical accuracy.

9. Rhythmkiller

Yeah but it has a growing number of practitioners, in Greece anyway. So is it fair to say then that the guys who are recreating and practicing the art can't be considered professional in the art? or can it actually be classified as a martial art at this point in time?

Baza

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If what they're practicing makes sense, then yeah. Game on! As Hannibal said, Modern Pankration can certainly be inspired by historical pankration. The only question is whether it's a reliable re-creation of it. If that's what someone was touting, I think that's an issue. If it's an internally consistent, workable martial arts system, I've got zero problem with calling in pankration. In Greek, it's basically the equivalent of "mixed martial arts" anyway. It apparently means "all powers." In other words, boxing, wrestling, kicking, etc.

EDIT: I think this is also different from some of our Western martial arts brethren who rely on working from texts. Because the texts they're working from were actually written as instructional manuals rather than purely artwork.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Thats a separate issue - You can be an expert or skilled in anything you want, but if you are claiming or selling it on the back of a historical lineage then you had better have one.

Basically modern Pancration only shares a name with it's ancestor

Edit: pipped by Ap

12. Rhythmkiller

Yeah i agree with this. On Human weapon they had a guy that claimed to be from Spartan blood and that he had as you say "the Spirit" of pankration. I'm pretty sure he was selling it.

Baza

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, that's a bit of marketing. But that's what consumers want as well. You wanna train with Christos, the guy who does IT during the day? Or Christos, the descendant of Spartan warriors?

I've been around long enough now to want the first. But I'd be lying if I said that the second wouldn't have held immense appeal at some point in my life.

14. Giovanni

hey, i do it during the day. and i actually am descended from greek warriors. train with me!

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nice!

I'm an academic counselor. Likely descended from pig farmers. And quite noticeably not Filipino. Not a compelling sales pitch, is it. :\

16. Giovanni

i'm assuming there was a warrior somewhere in my lineage! i just don't have proof of it. although i am from the town named after pythagoras. so i'm thinking maybe i've got some mathematical genes for my kids.

17. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

Thanks, I only read the review in the Journal of Sport History, Vol. 15. No. 2 (Summer, 1988), and it is interesting.

18. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

The web-site of the World Pangration Athlima Federation is now updated:

https://www.worldpangration.net/

The results and details of the 5th World Pangration Championship is now available.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That doesn't address the question being asked though. It's just a plug for the organization.

20. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

I only try to establish some sort of historical links to modern Pangration. There is only one International governing body recognized by the Greek government and a number of National Olympic committees, so it is not a plug in. Anyway, I have moved on to another thread. People interested in this sport can check out the the World Pangration Athlima Federation web-site for further detail.