High Roundhouse kick

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Goju, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I was thinking of putting this in the Karate section, but theres many different ma that use a roundhouse style kick in one form or another.

When I started training, it only took me a little while to get flexible enough to do a high roundhouse. I know that it is not the best kick for sparring, but I was really good at it, I could do it really fast and at head level with quite a bit of power. I was really busy for a period of about a month towards the end of last summer. I returned to the dojo when things were cleared up and I completely lost my roundhouse. Theres no real mystery as to why I lost it, because I hadn't done any karate in a month, but I cant get it back! I stretch much more than I used to when I could do as an attempt to get it back. I also try to get used to doing it again on the Wavemaster and in sparring. Whenever I do either of these I just get a pain in my groin area. Nothing has worked so far.

I wanted to know if this has happened to any of you and if you have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to fix it. Thanks

2. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

hmmm... try dynamic stretching, and slow round kicks, make sure to hold it extended at the end... also make sure you are following the proper steps in the kick, could be you're not doing it right in an absence...

3. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

It took me quite some time to do it right (a couple of years i guess) , but i never lost it even if i didn't train for months. Hell i hadn't train for 4 months this summer, but last week when I started training again it was exactly where i left it :D

4. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

i suppose dynamic training might work....but give it time. i used to be able to do roundhouse with both legs efficiently. Now my left legs is much better, but my right leg is hopless.....cant think why....hmmmm

5. Avidaniel

Avidaniel Valued Member

Same thing happened to my left side-kick. It was way superior to my right sede-kick but now I simply can't do it. The right one now is looking good while the left deforms into a back-kick everytime I execute it.

6. tommy

tommy New Member

Goju, are you saying that you have "lost" your high roundhouse because of a pulling in your groin, or are you lacking something in your technique?

Are you pivoting you ground foot enough to be able to turn your hip over?

I don't believe you can lose your kick, unless you stiffen up. if you are streched as you say, then it has to be a change in your technique I would think...? Strange

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

not only kurz I also says this.. a lot too...

if in a month you lost your kick then man u need to do something, I got injured and off training for about 3 months... and yet I didn't loose my touch on the kicks(most of those), didn't loose my flexibility... start mind training your body too.
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I never pulled my groin and I am doing the kick properly, Ive even tried to go through it slowly to perfect technique. It's just when I try to throw it up high, at the point of impact I get this weird pain in my groin. I didnt mean that because I wasnt training for a month I lost my kick , I meant that it only started becoming hard to do when I returned. I'll just keep doing groin and leg stretches, using proper technique and keep trying to do the kick (on the wavemaster) until it doesnt hurt anymore. That usually works.

10. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

my advice would be to go back to stretching, as if you're new to it. start easy and don't push yourself too much, so you can relax into it.

11. tommy

tommy New Member

Ya sounds like a slow strech. You may have a pinched nerve somwhere. maybe a chiropractic adjustment might help.

Good luck and feel better

12. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Whenever I kick badly, my hips/inside of my thigh screams bloody murder at me for a minute or so. Could be you're not opening your hips enough? Doing that certainly helped me kick high like that. I even managed it with my left, which usually never goes higher than my stomach.

13. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

start stretching some more? and by more, i mean, more than the usual stretching you normally do? sorry, can't really help much. a month is a long time though. i stopped being "active" in contact sparring for about 1 year before i got back into it again about a few months back, but my weekly excercise even when i didn't do sparring was stretching, cardio, shadow-fighting, and weightlifting, so i didn't lose flexibility- that much.

but it's a basic kick, i'd be more surprised if you "forgot" how to do more technical kicks, but losing flexibility to do RH kicks? under a month?

make sure you stretch before and after your drills :) hope you get it back!

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

this happens while excuting side kick normally, the kind of side kick where you sort of twist and turn ur resting foot away from kicking leg while kicking...
    you shouldn't be having this prob in roundhouse??
    -TkdWarrior-

15. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

you should ask your doc about this because there might be something up with your body that your not aware of.