Hi Guys

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by B.A. Baracus, Jul 24, 2015.

1. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

Thanks.

The book of Acts? where did they change the Sabbath from sat to sun in the book of acts?

go to Wikipedia and type in "Constantine the great" then go to "religious policy"

-Later in 321, Constantine instructed that Christians and non-Christians should be united in observing the venerable day of the sun,or Sunday referring to the sun-worship that Aurelian had established as an official cult. Furthermore, and long after his oft alleged conversion to Christianity, Constantine's coinage continued to carry the symbols of the sun. Even after the pagan gods had disappeared from the coinage, Christian symbols appeared only as Constantine's personal attributes: the chi rho between his hands or on his labarum, but never on the coin itself.[219] Even when Constantine dedicated the new capital of Constantinople, which became the seat of Byzantine Christianity for a millennium, he did so wearing the Apollonian sun-rayed Diadem; no Christian symbols were present at this dedication

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Sun" day
    "Moon" day
    "Tyrs" day
    "Wodens" day
    "Thors" day
    "Freys" day
    "Saturns" day

Which Pagan day should they have chosen eh?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. B.A. Baracus

Ha. its not so much the Greek names as it is the day #. Sunday is the first day of the week but in Genesis God said that man shall labor the first six days of the week and rest on the seventh or last day. so technically sat is the proper "sabbath' that being said I still worship/rest on sunday. tradition tradition.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How about*Freyjudagr or*Frjádagr?

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Acts 20:7, 1 Cor 16:1-2. As you'll learn in history books, should you take an interest in history books, by the mid-100s AD all Christians everywhere were holding their "Christian" church gatherings on Sundays. This was before Emperor Constantine was born.

6. B.A. Baracus

Umm...
    acts 20:7 - 'And on the first day of the week when we were assembled together to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, intending to leave the next morning; and he kept his message until midnight"

nowhere in there does it say they were observing the Sabbath. the "breaking of bread" means they were having dinner, and they stayed up until midnight because Paul was leaving in the morning.

7. B.A. Baracus

in fact the "Sabbath meal" is always observed on Friday night after sundown. if this was a Sabbath meal then paul should not have traveled the next day because it was ainst the Sabbath rules to travel.

8. Hannibal

Dleted that for some reason....now added

9. Hannibal

Greek? Could you be any more clueless?

10. B.A. Baracus

1 Cor 16:1-2

"Now concerning the money contributed for the saints: you are to do the same as I directed the churched of Galatia to do. On the first of each week, let each of you put aside something sand save it up as he has prospered, so that no collections will need to be taken after I come home."

This also has nothing to do with the Sabbath. we should give freely on every day of the week. his point was that giving should be the first thing they did every week.

"as I instructed the church at Galatia to do" does Paul have the authority to change the Sabbath even if he wanted to? and if he really was changing the Sabbath day why only Galatia and Corinth. why does he not instruct everybody to do this?

11. B.A. Baracus

I have never bothered pondering the origins of the names of the week... until now... perhaps you can enlighten me?

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, you'd think he'd recognize Thor and Saturn. But Post #247 proves he's a troll. :rolleyes:

13. Hannibal

No thanks....enough pigeon chess for one day

14. B.A. Baracus

But I like pigeon chess.. truth be known you don't know either.

I may be a "troll" whatever the heck that means, but you do not have an answer to my retort? are these the only verses you have to support your claim. if so I think you need to re-examine your opinion.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's not an opinion, the names of the day in English descend, mostly, from Norse/Saxon mythology, main reason being that the at time the 7 day week idea made it's way to england, most people were still pagans.

16. B.A. Baracus

The names of the days of the seven-day week in many languages, including English, are derived from their being named after the classical planets in Hellenistic astrology, a system introduced in the Roman Empire during Late Antiquity- wikipedia

17. B.A. Baracus

I was not discussing an opinion on the days of the week. I was discussing the Sabbath with aikimac

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You do realise the planets were named after gods don't you?

19. B.A. Baracus

yes..so what?

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

True for Romnance languages, your Spanish, French and Italian, but not true for Germanic languages, such as English, hence the references to Tyr, Woden, Thor and Freyja.