Hi all

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Hi all, im new here!

I have a few questions for you all if you dont mind. I am a pro musician (drummer) and i have tendinitis in both of my wrists. I had surgery on my left wrist twice for the tendinitis about 11 years ago which made it much better. I have always wanted to sudy martial arts but have been afraid to out of fear of hurting my wrists and therefor hurting my music career being that that is what i do for a living.

I would really like to study boxing and apply it as a means of self defense. Is this possible for me to do in a safe way without fear of messing up my wrists?

Any help you all could give would be great. Thanks!

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Welcome.

The only things I can say are:
    1. Work slowly at strengthening them before getting into any type of striking art. A basic weightlifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 where you're doing compound exercises with progressively heavier weights will strengthen them and give you a good level of strength everywhere else too. You'll need it.

2. Make sure you learn to wrap your hands well. It protects both your hands and your wrists.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I agree with SKetco.

Although sometimes martial arts and playing a musical instrument do not always match

(Situational)

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Actually I think drumming and boxing go PERFECTLY. Hand coordination and timing already trained to a professional level. Throw in the striking and footwork. That's a potent mix. Gives me the goosebumps.

Actually there's times I've thought about taking up drumming to improve my timing/coordination.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Indeed there is some music-playing going "with" martial arts.

But, one cannot look upon "coordination-timing" as the crux.

For example, if one is to go onward to martial arts more in tune with a hardcore style or method, this could be detrimental to music instrument playing (* Situational)