Here's where I draw the Line! Enough of this!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, Jun 20, 2003.

1. megk

megk New Member

First I know that this thread is pretty old but anyway...I do care about my belt ranking. I don't Lord it over people or claim superiority. I care about my rank because I have worked incredibly hard to achieve it. I need a goal and my gaol right now is a black belt. I have spent alot of money to train but I would spend alot of money to attend a gym. I train WTF TKD so I too will have to pay $300 to test for my black belt. I will also be recognized world wide for that accomplishment. I'll have about 6 months to save the money so it should be fine.

So, Yes, I care about the color of my belt. I care because it shows me how far I have come.

2. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Rabid - I agree with you, but my concern is - where does that fee go? Usually it goes to the organization and not to the instructor. The instructor usually gets a portion of it, but not much. I used to run my own school for 13 years. We didn't charge as much as is mentioned here, but it was still $175 for black belt. Of that I received $15. It didn't matter too much to me because I ran the school out of love of the art and not to make $. I had another job to make $

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

300$? Isn't that so much more than determined by Kukkiwon?

4. megk

megk New Member

Not that i know of. I have talked to many others that are training at different schools and that seems to be the standard for the black belt. I will check it out though.

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

The WTF school I am in right now charges $600. I would be very interested to know how much of that goes to the Kukkiwon. This is for a first dan test. Does anyone know the costs charged by the Kukkiwon?

7. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

AFAIK, the Kukkiwon fee for 1st Dan is US$ 70.00. Everything above is the fee set by the school, examiner, association, whoever. 2nd Dan is US$ 90.00 and 3rd dan is US$ 120.00 - unless you are a Korean citizen, of course. Here where I live there is ca. 25 % addition to cover administrational costs, examiner travel & expenses etc.

Gizmo

8. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

Was it allways $124 a month? And allways $600 for testing? Well obviusly not the testing part. At my dojo, im not gonna be testing for my 2nd degree for maybe... 4 more years. But who cares about that? Well at my place its $50 a month and $30 for testing. Man that must flippin suck man! But I couldn't ever amagine of leaving my teacher. Well hope you work it all out.

~TL~

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Is this a fact? Where does that info come from? I don't question you or say it isn't so, I just want to be sure it is teh real price. At any rate $600 US is just crazy IMHO.

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

Well, this is how much I paid for my 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dan Kukkiwon under the Polish Taekwondo Federation. These are also the prices included in the Polish Federation's grading rules. You may see the price sheet on the Kukkiwon website as well.

Gizmo

11. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Gizmo - thank you much for that. A real eye openiner indeed.

12. megk

megk New Member

Anybody know the cost for first dan in Jidokwon(sp?) in WTF. That is what I train in and our first dan is $300. I hope I am not getting ripped off, but I think that is standard pricing.

13. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

megk: what Jidokwan association are you member of?

Gizmo

14. megk

megk New Member

You know what?...I don't even know. All I know is thst I train WTF and we Jidokwan. I didn't know there was more then one association. If you give me some examples I might recognize which one it is.