Here's where I draw the Line! Enough of this!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

what i would do is to go back to my instructor and politely apologise my behaviour and ask for some time to gather money for the test.
    i am worried about how many people question their instructors nowadays. i would never even think of standing against of my instructor in the means of money.

2. stump

stump Supersub

<<<i am worried about how many people question their instructors nowadays. i would never even think of standing against of my instructor in the means of money.>>>

Have fun being shafted then. The more people question their instructors the better....it might reduce the bull that gets put about as Martial arts.

You don't seem to cop that many instructors are screwing their students for money. It's bordering on criminal and has to stop.

If you want to follow someone unquestioningly take up religion.

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Easy stump the dude's only 14. :rolleyes:

Welcome Pyry_Uotila hope you enjoy posting on MAP I see you mentioned in other posts you train(ed) under grandmaster Rhee.

Out of interest which one?

4. stump

stump Supersub

doh....sorry got carried away.

No offense pyry, welcome to the board...hope you enjoy the discussion.....it gets heated from time to time.

You're right to think you have to give your instructor a chance to teach you....but remember not all instructors are good, and some unfortunately teach downright useless stuff. You have to try and know the difference...that's why having a good teacher is very important

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

sad to see that many martial artists are after the money now. My teacher made me study for free when I was already a red belt, since I was dedicated to training and helped him in teaching. IMO, if instructors ask blackbelts to still pay regularly, especially if they are his products, watch out. The instructor may be more profit oriented than keen on developing your skills.

6. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

no prob, i'm not really unquestionary following anyone because following blindly orders is against taekwondo tenetsthat's. just like the neo-nazis (alot of them in finland and sweden) they just hang out together, some one says "let's mug some black people" that sucks!!!
    maybe i just haven't seen many people going after money, but i guess that's possible. and for me i was the one who carried away.
    ok?
    now for the other guy, i was in the seminar made by grandmaster rhee in finland earlier this year.

7. Pyry_Uotila

Pyry_Uotila New Member

we too had just small raise in the training fee, because else they won't let us train in the hall next winter (we train almost only out side on the summer).

8. wuchang79

wuchang79 New Member

Things that are pure will always be touched by corruption. We have to basically have the wisdom to tell the difference. Economically, most instructors/masters have to earn a living as well by teaching. Students have to find a master/instructor that is in for the love of the art and not because they can think they'll make a lot of money.

The ones that enter into teaching for the wrong reasons will soon fail. Those who loose site of the responsibilties of spreading there knowledege will soon fail. Hope you find a school that suits you.

9. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Payment .. The price of learning.

Im going to start this post with reference to the origionator.. One Mr Labbatt. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the young man, no matter how anoyed comes across somewhat arrogant.

Ettiquete, Modesty, Perserverence, Self Control and Indomitable Spirit.

Words to learn young Labbatt I think IMHO

JS

10. stump

stump Supersub

Stoppy, welcome to the board.

Personally I think that the charges for senior belts are astronomical and are far too high considering what is being offered.

I think people are dead right to question such charges and that Labatt was rightly incensed.

Do you really think that grading charges into the hundreds of pounds are justified? I know they are common enough in certain styles!!!

11. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

charges.

It is hard to price somethings ..

the BTMU is not cheap. What you get in the long run is often questioned anyway whichever organisation you grade with. The point of charging in my experience is as follows

To remunerate the travelling costs (cheapest possible) of the Masters on the grading panel

To cover the administration costs of Paper work on the day, filed copies for the cirtificate, the cirtificate.

All that considered I feel that the only way to get good value for money is to communicate with the organisation involved. Our prices vary from £110 pounds to over £150 pounds depending on the grade level .. but the tests involved take longer the higher up you go. I would say that anyone paying over £200 pounds for a grade should consider their options. Our BB gradings ususally have no more than 10 entrants going for the next level. And these gradings take all day. Consider that our panel has expert Masters of up to 7 Masters (My 2nd dan) then you have more experience looking down on you.

It has been ages since I saw 1 master grading 100 blackbelts but I know some National Orgs still charge more than we do and have up to a 100 on the floor you do the math and it is no longer a martial art for teaching and its become a martial art for profit.

thanx for the welcome.

Stoppy

12. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

and yes i agree that the charges should reflect the level of grade going for, but no I agree it should not cost the earth. Sometimes it seems that it would be cheaper to fly out to korea and get a dan grade from there.

JS

13. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

its really a sad truth, a lot of martial arts schools are really becoming money-centric and as a result the art is being lost, its rough training for that long and having that happen, ive been training for 8 years and teaching for 2, and ironiccally enough im testing for my 3rd dan tommorow, and i know how terrible i would feel if that happened to me, luckily i dont have to worry about that, find another school and stick it through, get to your 9th dan and try and change things.

14. stump

stump Supersub

If something is good enough it's worth paying for.

Bruce Lee charged massive amounts for private lessons...the difference is we WAS Bruce Lee!!!

The local TKD, kung fu or whatever instructor is probably not as good and when they charge astronomical fes it's a rip off. The problem is that people feel obliged to pay these fees (probably grudgingly) because to not do so would be showing a lack of respect etc etc and that's a misuse of traditional values. And it does happen!!!!!

15. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

fees

I think you have nailed it there stump.. Western values mixed with eastern traditions for all the wrong reasons..

ie:

Eastern Respect ... Western Buck...

Stoppy
    #

16. Taeho

Taeho New Member

In my opinion, it shows the utmost disregard for the values that MA stand for when teachers charge exorbitant amounts for higher ranking Dans. They seem to feel that you will pay, because you have come this far and would hate to quit because of money.

As in ALL ventures in life, get all costs IN WRITING before signing up for anything, MA included. Don't rely on the word of the teacher, he may be more of a businessman more than a wiseman.

What ever happened to cleaning and fetching water from the well in exchange for MA lessons? hmmmm seems that the way of the dragon is now though the ATM...

TKDshane Ÿ

17. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

the price of dans?

Q?

What is regarded the best price for dan gradings?

What do we on this forum that seem to all be singing from the same sheet feel is the recognisd medium for the price of grading> ?

example ..

pounds dollars and euros .. other denominations welcome ..

£80 - 1st dan
    £100 - 2nd dan
    .. increment £20 until limit reached // limit = £150 ??

end example ..

What are your thoughts ?

Plus what percentage is to National funds and what percentage is to masters pockets?

discuss? ?

18. stump

stump Supersub

personally speaking I think all dans after 1st dan should be honorary and not based on a set syllabus. At least thats how it would be in my world!!!

19. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

How about something like this ?

Basically people who reach the required levels of training and time served (touchy subject) go onto a waiting list. When so many are ready to grade then the grading takes place. This benifits larger groups but also the students.

eg .. grade 5 students at £200 / €300 / $400

or grade 20 @ £80 / €100 / $150

maybe your way would work after 4th dan stump/

20. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

what style do you train in stump ..

Post private if you need to ..

Stoppy