Help using the bo staff in ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by creaturegrl, Jul 1, 2003.

1. creaturegrl

creaturegrl New Member

hey everyone. I study To-Shin Do which is ninjustsu using modern day situations ( check out www.skhquest.com if your interested )
    It was started by Steven K Hayes, the first american to go to japan and master the art of ninjustsu under the teachings of grandmaster Masaaki Hatsumi.

Anyway, I recently went to a bo staff seminar at my dojo and learned some cool stuff. I'd like to learn more and maybe teach myself a bit if possible.

Can anyone reccomend some good books or videos for learning the bo staff the way it is used in ninjutsu?

2. Jags

Jags New Member

i found this i hope it helps
    Stick Fighting
    by Masaaki Hatsumi,
    it is a book, i wont say how much it costs cos then Knight wil say how i am a troll for paying for things.....

i thought this would be good since its buy masaaki hatumi
    :)

3. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Creaturegrl, there are lots of various resources you could use for learning more bo staff work. For example, you could visit ninjutsu.com and search all the various videos that Shihan Van Donk sells. I know one of the videos in his Black Bely Home Study Course contains bo work, and I believe he sells videos of Soke that focus on bo work as well. You'll have to explore the site for yourself in order to see. The book mentioned above is also a fairly good source, though it is quite difficult to learn from print. Good luck in your quest.

4. creaturegrl

creaturegrl New Member

I've bought the Hatsumi book, thanks. It had more to do with shorter staffs. I'll check into that Ninjutsu.com, i've never heard of it before. thanks:D

5. SilentNightfall

Not a problem. You're most welcome. You'll find that Ninjutsu.com has some pretty nifty things in the way of training references and tools. And it works for you as well since Toshindo is fairly similar to ninjutsu, though time has clearly seperated the two. Nonetheless, they are similar enough that Bujinkan videos and such will be very valuable in your training. Glad I could be of help.

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

While books can be of great help, why not ask your instructor? While not a student of To-Shin Do, I know that it is based largely on the same methods used in the Bujinkan (although some of my fellow practioners may disagree), after all as you pointed out, Mr. Hayes was one of Hatsumi's students and to the best of my knowledge, still is. If his instructors are half as skilled as he was when I first met him 21 years ago, then you have the best source for learning right in front of you.

7. creaturegrl

creaturegrl New Member

I don't train with Mr. Hayes (although i would love to) I train with an instructor that he has trained. The problem is that bo staff training is limited at the moment to occasional seminars. Although in the future there will be specific classes for bojutsu, right now i'm just looking for something that i can follow up on at home. I do have dr. hatsumi's book and i was looking for other books related to the ninjutsu style of bo staff training.

So far i've only been able to find it as a kind of european sport, so i was just asking around for anyone that knows good material for it for the ninjutsu style.

you met Dr. Hatsumi?! wow, i've always wanted to meet him. He is an amazing person. And from what I've seen of him on videos he has a great sense of humor too. :D

8. SilentNightfall

Actually, I think Brad was referring to having met Mr. Hayes 21 years ago, but I could be wrong, as usual. LoL.

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

AAARRRGGG!!!!

It's not a "bo staff", it's a "bo", or a "staff", or even a "bo/staff", "bo staff" sounds silly.

As for ninjitsu methods - not a clue.

10. SilentNightfall

Actually, it's a Rokuskaku Bo, but who wants to be technical? :D

11. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Not if it where a goshaku bo, or a nanashaku bo :p

12. SilentNightfall

Well, with ninjutsu I've only ever heard the term Rokushaku Bo applied. Perhaps we don't use the others much, eh? Care to elaborate upon the difference?

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Go - 5
    Roku - 6
    nana - 7

shaku - measurment unit, pretty close to 1 foot.

Basically "rokushaku bo" means "six foot stick"

14. SilentNightfall

There's why. Never used anything but the 6 ft. staff. And then of course the jo and hanbo, but that's an entirely different subject.

15. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Could call them a yonshaku bo and a san shaku bo if that would help?

16. SilentNightfall

If I did, I believe I would confuse a great many people who are unfamiliar with Japanese terminology. I'll save that fun lil' endeavor for after I spend my year in Japan. Then I can come back and act as if it's all unintentional. Just a mere result from cultural transition. Everyone will buy that. Heh heh heh.

17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

So then why use "rokushaku bo" instead of "6 foot staff"

Why not just have a staff, a short staff, and a big stick instead of bo, jo & hanbo?

I'm guessing you didn't know what rokushaku bo meant and you used it?

18. SilentNightfall

Got used to the term after having it written in so many of my resources, as well as stated in various videos. But then again, the two most popular weapons out of all the aforementioned are the Rokushaku Bo and the Hanbo, so I really can't give you an answer. I've just never heard or seen any of the other terms used during my time with the Bujinkan. Not really a big deal after all. I prefer to not focus too much on terminology and just "shut up and train."

19. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Actually, I met both Mr. Hayes and Hatsumi 21 years ago, during Hatsumi's first visit to the USA. Which is why I HAVE to go to this year's Tai Kai.. Hatsumi's last visit to the USA.
    When referring to the 6 foot staff, it is correct to say "bo" without any other clarification. Just as "jo" and "hanbo" are all you need to say when referring to the 4 foot and half stick.

20. creaturegrl

creaturegrl New Member

Actually, at the quest center dojo where I train, we do call it a bo staff.
    we say bo staff
    hanbo
    and jo staff

i dont think it matters as long as everyone knows what your talking about.

Tai Kai? What is that? I'm not that familiar with many of the conventions and events that go on but it sounds interesting. :p :)