Heike ryu Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kframe, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hi. At the local Bushido sports center, we have a 7th dan Judo black belt, that is also a 2nd dan Hieke ryu black belt.

He offers a Hieke ryu class. I have never heard of this style and my internet searches have so far only revealed a syllabus.

From the syllabus I have seen it has judo throws, and karate strikes and blocks. None of the judo newaza.

So has anyone ever head of this style? Is it legit, how old is it really? Some sources say its 1100 years old, but then I read that it is modern adapted with modern techniques.

So lol I don't buy the whole 1100 years old thing, that would make it one of the oldest arts in Japan. Since I cant find any information on it, I am suspect.

2. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

It looks like it was founded by Vince Tamura. To me it looks like a very good place to learn some quality judo and I would recommend training there.

But to answer your question about Hieke ryu, it appears it is a judo based system that has added some other things to it and it is a modern system.

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Is anyone here training in Hieki ryu? What is the art like? How is the striking training approached? The syllabus I found online didn't outline much.

Is there live randori in it?