Health issues

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by mangawill, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

Can someone tell me if someone learns Neigong or internal skill who has
    :?paranoid schizophrenia and OCD if they can learn it these i mean

The type of Neigong i mean is internal skill the meditation one called
    which is this:

QI GONG (CHI KUNG)

1. Religious & Mysterious
    I understand that there are some kinds of Qi gong that are religious
    and mysterious.

Taoist Qi Gong which involves postures of sitting or stances,
    generates Qi inside the body. The movement of the Qi cycles round the
    body vertically up from the back, and down from the forehead at the
    front . My understanding is that the critical success factor is the
    generation of Qi, or heat generated from inside of the abdomen area.
    Otherwise, it is just pure imagination. I would not suggest this sort
    of Qi Gong to self-learners who may involve mental disorders without
    proper guidance from experienced masters.

and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neigong

Because someone told me that Traditionally neigong and qigong were not prescribed to individuals that had paranoid schizophrenia or other mental disorders. These practices we designed for individuals in a healthy mental state, and are inappropriate (potentially harmful) for any individual diagnosed with mental illness.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I think this may depend on what type of Qi Gong you do. Some methods can have a large impact on your mental state, in some cases (individuals) this can be a very pleasant and liberating experience, whilst in others this can be quite traumatic/fearful and difficult enough to deal with for very mentally stable people.

IME, the main impact (positive or negative) on mental state is mostly from practices that work to regulate the breath in a very specific manner/pattern and those of Qi packing methods (the two are sometimes related).

If you do go for a form of Qi Gong, I would go for something that is primarily based on relaxation and loosening and does not involve too much breath work/control. Also, you should inform your teacher/instructor of your condition, though be wary some may just say you have a "qi blockage" and prescribe something like what I described above which may have negative consequences, though not necessarily.

One problem is that some methods may have very different effects on different individuals, and you never know what effect (positive/negative or both) it will have on you, as an individual.

If you want to go ahead with it, may be worth posting what types of Qi Gong are available to you and then we can look at these to see what sort of practices these consist of.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

The type of Neigong i mean is internal skill the meditation type like in the past
    like in Kung Fu movies where they can cause internal damage and like they have internal power?

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Neigong, generally refers to internal work (muscles/tendon/fascia manipulation) for a specific martial art (usually an internal style). This sort of work may have elements of breath control and qi packing too. Depends on the style, teacher.

I'd discount the Kung Fu movies and any “olden times fantasy”, its not real life, fiction and legends.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That sort of thing exists only in films and stories. Sorry to spoil your illusions, but magical powers don't exist, and you would be wasting your time trying to search for them.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

:cry: I've wasted ten years!!! Such a a killjoy Johnno! :D

7. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

What do you mean by:?
    I've wasted ten years!!! Such a a killjoy Johnno!
    sorry i don't understand what you mean since the way you sent the message might be different country the way it's written

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

First off what do you mean by Qi/Chi?

9. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

being able to feel Qi and being able to move it through your body. in the beginning it is just through the hands.

10. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

chi is similar to qi i think but written slightly different but many types but the one am on about it actual kung fu style

11. Hannibal

No you misunderstand me - what do you define the actual phenomena as, not the lingusitic variance.

I often call it CQK - Chi,Qi,Ki - as it covers the common terms for a phenomena that is at best contentious and at worst does not exist as it is presented to a gullible public

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think we all know what is mean by chi.

Let's stick to answering the original question and not turn this into a "chi does not exist" thread.

13. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

Real because am Chinese and know someone's master who knows it like in the novels and tv series' and movies?

14. Hannibal

I was not going to - I was going to refer him to the 300 other threads on MAP

The problem is that without establishing his baseline for what he believes the phenomena to mean any advice is meaningless because it will be colored by the prejudice of the poster.

In my case it is no secret I believe in chi as a term to describe bio-tensegrity and not an energy field. My advice on chi-gung needs to be framed in that context. For another they may believe in the - for want of a better term - "midichlorian chi" and their advice similarly needs to be framed in that context

15. Hannibal

Then why not ask them rather than a bunch of anonymous online hacks?

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

That was my attempt at humour ;) Don't worry about it, it adds nothing to your question and my previous answers.

17. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

Because the person's master master hasn't taught him it's hard to describe how to do it because it's Chinese and can't translate it in English so that is why I know it exists.What I want to know is if it affects someone with paranoid schizophrenia and OCD? now that you know the truth

18. Hannibal

No it won't any more than any other physical activity that involves a lot of breath control and focus. There may be blood pressure etc issues if you strain on the breath control, but probably not enough to dwell on too much.

Assuming you are not learning on your own, your teacher will assist you with the correct form anyway

Chi as an energy does not exist ergo will have no effect one way or the other

19. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Unless you feel comfortable in saying this with absolute certainty, you should not advise someone with a potential mental health issue.

Do you know instructors/teachers/students who have experience with this?

Do you have any sources for information backing this statement?

Have you researched "qigong psychosis"?

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Shame Knight Errant isn't around he may have been able to help....

Is your schizophrenia under control? I take it you are on meds?