Have you used Aikido to protect yourself or others in real life?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by pakarilusi, Nov 7, 2010.

1. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Not a put down down on Aikido. Just wanted to move away from speculation.

Any experiences anyone would like to share?

Real life, not fiction.

2. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Have a look at the "Aikido In A Real Fight" thread

3. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

I've read it but there the discussion seems to be more theoretical and analytical. Also a lot of 2nd and 3rd person accounts of incidents.

I am asking for personal firsthand experience(s).

Thanks! :)

4. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

Oh, ok, well, I don't have any experiences and I hope I never do

5. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Haha... Not even deescalating potentially dangerous incidents? I regard avoiding potential threats as also "protecting" using Aikido principles...

6. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

Hijikudaki. I was strangled at the throat. After I did that technique he never touched me again.

7. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

What was the situation you were in?

8. Daius

Daius Valued Member

I use it real life all the time... My "mercy" game is so much better since I started aikido...

9. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

In high school. Poolside. Guy was on a roll with bullying other people. He tried to get a rise out of me and i was like "whatever." I moved on, but he wouldn't have any of it, so he tried to strangle me (or start to) with one arm. Went straight to it. Put him down right away.

10. Donaldo

Donaldo Banned Banned

We learned Aikido in the British Army. They called it Aikido but it was short,direct and a bit more i think like Aiki Jutu because we used thumb locks.

11. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

Last night, unfortunately I had to use it when a smaller fella than me grabbed me from behind. Dropped my center and my whole body to loosen the grip turned around, he then trying going for my neck so I deflected it and had neck lock on him leading to a knee in his groin.

Do bare in mind I have only been doing Aikido since February this year and have ten years of Tang Soo Do also. Worked a treat and he stopped straight away. Not the full Aikido way but I use whatever techniques work and are right for the situation.

Everything just flowed from one technique to the next.

12. Donaldo

Donaldo Banned Banned

if you use just Aikido then it´s not enough. I have trained in Aikido and although it´s nice to practice...it´s no use in a real fight. (forget the mystery storys from Ueshiba...lol) The only style i would like to try is Tomiki Aikido because i did Judo for years too(which i find more realistic as Aikido)

13. Power_plant

Power_plant Valued Member

How long did you train in Aikido for? It is not an easy straight forward system to learn, I know this full well as I am learning it now, it takes a long time and a lot of effort for it to fall into place.

With the right training Aikido is effective in a fight or for any confrontation or it would not have been adopted into so many police systems around the world especially in Japan.

14. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I have only been in a couple of situations in my life when I have had to use Aikido, these were many years ago. I was picked on by a group at the time I was a 27 year old 3rd dan who was was competing at the time, I was very fit and sharp. A well timed kote gaeshi with a turn over into tenkai kote hineri stopped this in its tracks.

15. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

My experience is somewhat different.
    I worked as a doorman as a student and used "pure" Aikido a few times, most notably to disarm someone who was attempting to slash me with broken glass (Sankyo) which continued to restrain him until I could walk him off the premises into the arms of a waiting policeman!

Of course everyones experiences are different.

16. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Total rubbish:mad:

17. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Yup, rubbish...

18. towag

towag Valued Member

Aikido works, but it's never pretty, just adapted when I've used it.
    I've been unfortunate (or fortunate?) to have used it on 18 altercations in the last 23 years..... Using many of the techniques from the ju nanna of Tomiki/Shodokan. Shomen ate, aigamae ate, gyakugamae ate, gedan ate, very useful!!

19. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I worked on the doors of a few pubs in Glasgow with Bill ( Koyo), I am afraid to say that we did use Aikido techniques on various occations to stop being attacked by drunks also to help out persons being attacked. Bill was an expert at disarming people without much effort his technique was very precise. I have thrown one person who tried to kick me in ther groin. I applied Irimi Nage. No more to be said.:Angel:
    Tommo:)

20. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

It's good to keep in mind Aikido is a martial way, and a big part of it actually isn't about the moves. Techniques taught in Aikido specifically, tend to work better against a faster moving opponent (at least for me) - against a big slower moving opponent one can apply the Ki manipulation of Aikido to enhance the effectiveness of another martial art like Karate -

Strikes and blocks can be much easier when executed with Ki and not force, - with certain strikes however this can make them more dangerous, so one must be careful not to throw too much Ki at a said opponent. -