Have you had any self-improvement through martial arts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Edgeorge, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Valued Member

Martial arts have been described as a path to self improvement and, ultimately, self perfection. Have YOU noticed anything change to the better in your character/behaviour after taking up martial arts?

PS: If you intend to post something rude then please don't post at all. Only serious and honest answers will be appericiated.

----Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I would say I carry myself with more confidence after a few years of learning karate and it has encouraged me to take up supplementary activities such as weight training and improve my general fitness.

It's hard to say how much of this is purely karate and how much is just getting older and wiser (allegedly) but in my own assessment, karate has definitely helped.

P.S. and my dic... oh, never mind.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

EdGeorge I'm sure you've done this thread before.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

what JWT said...

5. Edgeorge

Edgeorge Valued Member

No I haven't. I've hardly posted a similar one.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

7. asher987

asher987 Valued Member

I have noticed a number of obvious improvements which I would attribute to the study of Aikido over many years - a greater awareness of my surroundings, improved confidence and of course improved fitness. There are also more subtle improvements - a calmer approach to life, a greater ability to stay centred and focused in potentially stressful situations.

8. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

In the times I kept training consistently, I noticed improvement, but I haven't had the time to train in a regular matter and it hasn't impacted me tremendously.

Martial arts has given me confidence in my early teens and for that I'm grateful.

9. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

YES! I have...

Ive only been training in ishin ryu karate for 4 months now and ...yes! i notice an improvement in my fitness...atttitude (less anxiety).confidence ...with every pinan...and kata i master and get right... i am better able to deal with whatever unplanned situations just come up unexpectedly..thats probably the best thing...