Have Muay Thai changed allot. From how or what it used to be ??

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by ChangNam, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I start to hate Thai boxing in Thailand now. Just think about the prices. A Thai pays 200baht to go in to the stadium. And we farangs/westerns pay 1200baht. If u did something like this back home. U would be called a racist. And the government would shut ur business down. To me it looks like Muay Thai is on its way down. Years ago i was in the stadiums 2 times a week. Now i go maybe 1 time every 6 month or so. Posters is fake and the promoters fighting about a few baht. LOL !! Thai boxing is fake. The pore fighter training 2 times a day 4-5 houers. And fight every second week. And some even more depending on injuries. The promoters and gym takes it all. And the pore fighter ending up as a alcoholic. How screwed up is that ??

Maybe my head line was wrong. And i know them prices have been like this for a long time. But just thinking about it. Makes me upset about how things are.

2. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

well, muay thai has undergone some change over many years, but so does every other sport.

as far as the difference in stadium rates....

this has more to do with how the stadiums are arranged into "rings" or "levels" and the incomes of the thai themselves.

typically, the farang are charged more because they are almost invariably seated ringside. ringside is more expensive. farang going to fights have money (more money than locals do).

the cheaper seats (2nd ring/level) are where betting occurs. gambling. foreigners aren't allowed to gamble in the stadiums. at one time they could, but language barriers led to many problems. it became easier to just "disallow" farang betting at fights.

as far as the fights themselves, it's hard to see your specific meaning. it appears you believe that the fights are fixed.

possible? yes.

likely? no.

there HAVE been rules changes over the years. this is typically done for political and for entertainment reasons, just as it is done in other sports in other countries.

who knows, be might someday see muay thai fights with teams.

imagine the possibilities...

thanks

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Changnam your just having a bad day bro cheer up:) in the main Muay Thai is a great sport and Thailand a great country,anytime fights/fighting/betting etc in any country is allowed their will always be a "dodgy" element involved:)

4. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

The stadiums have had that special rate for farang for a long long time. Whats the big deal? Or go to omnoi or channel 7, fights are really great wars there.

Fights are still awesome. if you doubt it, suit up and jump in there on the undercard and experience it first hand then let me know if your bout was fixed or not. First hand experience really is what you need here NOTHING BEATS IT! THEY WILL LET YOU IN FOR FREE THEN WITH YOUR CORNER PEOPLE!! Think about it!

Rules have changed a bit and the tv show speeded up to sell more commercials but it happens throughout the world look at the UFC.

Gambling and all the other stuff is part of the third world madness been there since bare knuckle. The military have been involved since God's knows when. Whats new here??

If a muay thai fighter is caught throwing a fight there are deep consequences and a couple of guys have been caught and blackballed out of the game.

You are listening to the complaints of trainers who in every camp complain endlessly about money regardless of how much I give them or the camp gives but they continue to be there year after year training people. The camp feeds, houses and takes care of the fighter for a cut of his pay for his career, thats how it works. If they become great fighters and champs making good money, few have any complaints. Dont want to fight.Dont go to a muay thai camp and sign up. Everything is clear and always has been. Its a tough way to live but its basically structured that the camp risks the time and money to develop the fighter and if he wins, he gets a shot at a better life and the camp benefits from having a champ along with the money he brings in. Many on the lower rung complain harshly because their purses are so small that when cut down it amounts to nothing. When they rise and get better fights they complain less. Same with trainers when they train champs they get hit off by the fighter on the side and other perks.

I think the problem is there are too many farangs thinking they are thais always criticizing but never understanding anything at all.

I see many of the ex fighters who fought and none of them are alcoholics. Some have done well, some havent, some just remained poor. But i also saw tons make it big, living really nice lives thanks to muay thai. Maybe you are going to tell me also the tall tale about them being crippled or blind when you only see a few of them like that most stay in great shape and live full lives. This is a country fraught with poverty and its one of the positive outlets for a kid to sort of break his way out if he's good.

If you dont like Muay Thai switch sports and oops, you'll probably find them making adjustments over time too! Nothing is worse than a man crying like a bitch.

Muay Thai has been growing and its had its growth spurts and hiccups like any sport.

Muay Thai had its golden era in my opinion in the 80s with a bit of late 70s and early 90s in there and compared to that then yes things are different but its still outputting great fighters who now also compete on the world stage and in more international bouts. The opportunities not only for the farang to compete and train has completely changed for the better but the opportunities for thais to fight in other countries has also increased ten fold. Most camps in the 80s didnt even want farang in their camps no less train them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The golden era the 1980s oooh yes I agree bro,amazing fights and fighters.

Its true that nowadays less Thai boys take up the sport and the Farang interest has or is changing Muay Thai,more Camps ran by Farang and more camps that wouldnt entertain us lot that now will.

I havent paid ringside at Lumpinee for years and I wouldnt pay the price they ask when chong Jet is equally as good and free:).

So yeah Muay Thai and Thailand for that matter is changing but thats the way of the world so we just got to relax and enjoy:)

6. lorenzodamarith

hello,

apologies jaggernautico, but the meaning here is not clear. can this be written differently?

thanks

7. jaggernautico

cant get any clearer, there is a deluge of foreigners going to thailand and making attempts to assimilate and become thais(we saw that we the chaiya thread), and often not seeing under the surface of things and never really understanding things as this post clears indicates and demonstrates.

feel free to disagree with me by the way but thats my opinion on it especially reading so much stuff on the different forums.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  8. jaggernautico

fire cobra
    80s was before my time but my uncle introduced me to the wonderful fights and fighters of that period plus i inherited his admiration for it. But i agree with you wholeheartedly.

9. lorenzodamarith

hello,

jaggernautico, actually YES!!! you got MUCH clearer! just didn't understand the context of what was said. appreciate your taking the time to remake your statement.

thanks

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

MT in Siam has still gotta be in a lot better shape than boxing in the US, even if its declined from its relative innocence/halcyon days.