Has anyone heard of Marshall Gagne?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by MonsterMaxx, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Do Won

Do Won New Member

Mike, the one maligning Grandmaster Gagne.

3. uchimata1979

uchimata1979 New Member

Do Won has bad perception.

Definition of maligning just so we all know that Do Won either misuses it or is completely sold out to Mr. Gagne that he refuses to accept someone actually doing a customer review on his business in response to his terrible tactics. Here it is:

maligning - Speak about (someone) in a spitefully critical manner.

I am not doing this spitefully. I am doing this to get a sensus on if he does this to all potential customers. If he does that then I will warn them about attending there. Mr. Gagne should take this as a learning experience and not try to strong arm customers. I can afford what I can afford, not what I can be talked into. It sounds like he has an awesome martial arts program with lots of experience and credentials. That is why I was interested. Like Aegis said, I don't want to hear a "hard sell" type of explanation of why the fees are 150 dollars a month or whatever the exorbitant price is.

4. Do Won

Do Won New Member

Clarity

ma·lign [muh-lahyn]

verb (used with object)
    1. to speak harmful untruths about; speak evil of; slander; defame: to malign an honorable man.

adjective
    2. evil in effect; pernicious; baleful; injurious: The gloomy house had a malign influence upon her usually good mood.

3. having or showing an evil disposition; malevolent; malicious.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/malign

I have been associated with Grandmaster Gagne for about 13 years. He is a skilled martial artist and an excellent teacher. I have never felt that I have been overcharged for what I have received. He is providing three different martial arts. He has a very organized program and very affordable resources in the form of books and DVDs that provide excellent instruction and reference material above and beyond class.

5. Hannibal

Great you have has good experience - someone else has has a bad experience

How in the blue hell is that maligning?

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

We understand the definition, but who do you think had lied here, as that seems to be the accusation you're levying?

7. Do Won

Do Won New Member

Saying he has no integrity... that to me is maligning.

Unless perhaps I have responded to the wrong message by accident. In which case I'm sorry, I am new here and still trying to figure this out.

8. Hannibal

Even if you are replying to the right one all you can say is that it is your experience he does - others may have different mileage

Maligning is just the wrong phrase to use

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Bear in mind that the only person who actually used the word "integrity" left the site in September 2007 and posted that comment over seven years ago, so you're unlikely to get a response!

10. Do Won

Do Won New Member

Timeline

When I first signed up with this forum it was because I found the post from 2007. When I responded to it I didn't know it was so old. Someone sent me a note informing me of my mistake.

It may just be a matter of semantics, but in my opinion malign is the correct word to describe the original post that I was responding to (that I now know was from 2007).

So, if I have caused offense to anyone else in the forum who may have thought I addressing them then I apologize. I don't normally participate in forums and such, but I felt he need to say something positive about someone who has earned my respect.

11. g20trent

g20trent New Member

Grand Master Gagne

I currently am a student of GMG. I study the 3 HKD's with him on a daily basis and find him to be incredibly knowledgeable. Since starting the 3 HKD's i have expanded my knowledge greatly. GMG is an excellent instructor as well as a very good man. He takes the time to make sure all of his students are progressing towards there goals on a daily basis. Since my wife and 2 children also take Hap KI Do from GMG we have first hand experience of his teaching styles and knowledge. I would highly reccomend GMG to anyone looking to better their skills.

12. g20trent

g20trent New Member

Thats crazy! He is a phenominal instructor and a great person. I am a long time student and couldn't imagine learning from anyone else.

13. g20trent

g20trent New Member

Thats crazy! I am currently one of his students and couldn't imagine learning from anyone else. His dedication and understanding of the art is unbelieveable. I would reccomend Grand Master Gagne to anyone that is looking for top notch instruction. He is the BEST!!!!!

14. Hannibal

*deleted* - snippy post written pre coffee....never a good idea

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  15. Lejeune

Lejeune New Member

Do Won,

You made a comment that you have worked with or known Mr. Gagne for 13 years? I am just wondering when your relationship started, I might know you. I had started training with him in Oct. 1999.

HAPKI!!

16. Lejeune

Lejeune New Member

I also wanted to make it clear that I am the former Marine Hapkido that posted that comment about your "Master". It has been a long time since that post had been posted, it is not good practice to bring up old topics. I am trying to get that comment removed from this post out of respect and that I am a different man now and don't need for my personal laundry to be aired out online. Understand when that comment was posted it was very revelant to the discussion, topic, and my personal experiences. I understand some can change over time as I have done, so in good common sense "DO NOT" open up old wounds and let things settle again. Thank you in advance.

17. Lejeune

Lejeune New Member

I just want to add to my last comment about Grandmaster Marshall Gagne. I have had the pleasure to once again be in contact with him and I am very happy about this. Today as I as teaching some throws in class, his voice came to me as I was correcting a student on his foot placement. Without his direction back when I started learning Hapkido back in 1999, I really don't think I would be as good as I am today. Back when I wrote my comments about Grandmaster Marshall Gagne, I was mad about some of our personal dealing. This is not the place to talk bad about someone who has promoted Hapkido, and built such a great association as he has done. Someday I plan on traveling to SC and visiting him when I have the chance. I wish Grandmaster Gagne only the best, and want to tell his students you are lucky to have such a person close by to teach you.