Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Well at LEAST you got a new Deadlift PR - So well done. Can't help you with the tears though (cup o tea and a cream bun?) :D.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I better scribble this down before I forget it, oh I wonder how many people go to the gym with written notes, doesn't seem as noticeable as the beginning of the year (except for those obviously following a PT workout plan)...

Warmup
    (someone was on Bench, so any firm plans ruined, hey ho)

Overhead Press
    1 x 10 @ 20kg
    1 x 5 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 35kg
    1 x 2 @ 37.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 40kg
    1 x 2 @ 42.5kg

Think I could probably handle 5x5 at 37.5 next time around

Pullups* (wide grip)
    3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Power Snatch* (15kg bar)
    5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Overhead Squat* (3 exercise superset)
    5, 5, 5 with band; 5, 5 with band + 1.25kg plates

I need to persevere with these, as sure there will be a crossover into all my other Squats

Snatch Balance (from BTN, with 15kg bar)
    5, 5

Front Squat (from Power Clean)
    1 x 3 @ 25kg
    1 x 3 @ 32.5kg
    1 x 3 @ 37.5kg
    1 x 3 @ 40kg
    1 x 3 @ 42.5kg
    1 x 3 @ 45kg
    1 x 3 @ 47.5kg
    5 x 3 @ 50kg

I'm hoping to Back Squat tomorrow:baby::meditate:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

iPhone notepad is a godsend! Except you end up looking like a typical gym queen checking out Facebook mid-set...

4. Princess Haru

my Nokia Lumia 620 has Excel but just haven't got around to doing my workout template and transferring updates from the laptop, as typing stuff in mobile Excel is hell, and I never take my mob to the gym, okay I have, but it stays in the locker when I do

I usually keep a little A6 pad with notes of my planned sets/reps and write in any + or - onto that plus whatever accessory/changes but haven't been doing it since end of June when i picked up the wrist injury and just worked around it, tried new stuff and haven't got back into a full program yet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRMXW5OWc8"]Phone Etiquette In The Gym - YouTube[/ame]

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Old person alert! An iPhone may be convenient but a pen & paper is so much easier and makes it real :)

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

^This! :D

7. Princess Haru

so today was the rematch: Haruka vs Back Squat

previously... had a fail in first set and had to abandon fifth/last set with foot cramp, stay tuned :p

Warmup
    TKEs 3 x 15 L/R (medium height step)
    Skipping

Guy chatting me up interruption, TRX setup is easy <we'll have none of that, I ran off at first opp>

Back Squat
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (paused)
    1 x 3 @ 40kg
    1 x 2 @ 45kg
    1 x 2 @ 52.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 62.5kg

WIN!!! :cool: Okay so I hadn't intended so many baby warmup sets but weight felt heavy at 50+ had to push myself mentally, tight quads (maybe from those Front Squats yesterday). I took it slow and steady and only 5 or so reps weren't to my liking, uneven or slow but all were ATG. I'll take that.

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 5 @ 35kg
    5 x 5 @ 45kg

This was what I planned yesterday, and it was tougher than I'd expected. First 3 sets were okay, on about RPE 7-8 but the 4th set was messy 3 good reps, 4 and 5 were RPE 9-10. I had to give myself 4 mins (instead of my usual 1:30) into the 5th set to have a chance at getting all reps done, it felt that tough, and it worked though I'll take it back to 43kg next time if I remember my mini plates.

Lying Leg Curls*
    3 x 8 @ 50kg

DB Tricep Extensions
    * (on the floor)
    3 x 12 @ 2 x 10kg

*superset to finish

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Now we want a new PR!
    Haruka vs Back Squat 2 - The Revenge....sounds cool, doesn't it?

9. Princess Haru

It's tempting, but I'm trying to balance out the goals of more weight with more consistency. With my foot problem smaller sets are preferable though, longer term. With no coach it can be easy to cheat yourself on depth of squat which simply won't float at any reputable meet.

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Congratulations on beating the back squat blockage! And a nice deadlift PR recently too...

Also, I tried taking notes using Kingsoft Office for Android, but my sweaty fingers don't agree with the stupid touch keyboard (proper buttons being the only thing I miss from my old blackberry), so I ditched the phone in favour of any scrap of paper I can find. At the moment I have about 7 workouts scrawled on the back of an A4 poster advertising a beer festival that took place in July. I'm so organised and glamorous.:cool:

11. Princess Haru

Since Saturdays have been hit or miss for me lately I thought I would give Friday another go, and it will leave my Saturday for other things (at least until I go back to Judo)

Warmup
    ...some guys were messing about with Incline Press in the Power Rack:cry: so I started on the main floor with a bar for first 3 sets holding the bottom for a few seconds

Back Squats
    1 x 3 @ 20kg#
    1 x 3 @ 30kg#
    1 x 3 @ 40kg#
    1 x 2 @ 52.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 62.5kg

Much busier, the same guys were doing Arnold Press on an Incline Bench less than 2 feet from the Rack, no amused but I put my concentration hat on and got on with it, no other interruptions, no cramp, most of the reps were okay, not as good as my last set at 60kg so I'm going to have to battle through another week and see how it is before considering 65kg

Swiss Ball Hamstring Curls*
    3 x 12

KB Swings*
    3 x 12 @ 2 x 16kg

Deadlifts
    1 x 5 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 2 @ 100kg
    1 x 1 @ 110kg
    1 x 1 @ 120kg
    3 x 3 @ 125kg

Just had enough time for this, my heaviest ever working set on Deadlift and it felt heavy, but once the bar was moving it was okay. If I can get more speed at this weight then I will get past my sticking point on 135kg

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice deadlift ;) and I'm sure you'll get there with one more go at the 62.5 squat; how much rest are you taking?

Also, are your 16 KBs the ones with the massive handles so you can't quite close your grip? Either way, I'm becoming a fan of KBs - I used to have a workout built around the tractor tyre where one exercise was deficit KB high pull - standing on the tyre, 2x 20 KBs on the ground inside, explode upwards like you're pulling your own child from the jaws of a crocodile... Must dig that one out!

13. Princess Haru

Thanks. I see rest as relative to how much it's impacting my CNS, so the Squats it's load it lift it upto 5x5 then 1:20 and for the Deadlift it's 1:00 for between sets upto 3x3 then 3:00.

Kettlebells are great for working on Glutes/Hamstring which I still feel is a weakness, so I really should do more of them, just depends how much time I have left in a workout after the compound exercises are done. I prefer the KB Snatch to the High Pull, only because I've hurt myself in the past with it, and even now have a nice bruise above my left knee where I grazed a 16kg against it, though my Snatch technique is not great. I would like to improve it before trying the 100 reps for time challenge

14. Princess Haru

Another Monday, another mishmash workout ;)

Warmup
    Foam Rolling (lower body only)
    Skipping (I fixed my rope)

Overhead Press
    1 x 10 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 36kg

Single Leg Deadlift
    1 x 5L + 1 x 5R @ 25kg (slow)
    1 x 5L + 1 x 5R @ 35kg (slow)
    3 x 5L + 3 x 5R @ 35kg

Lat Pulldowns (wide grip BTN)
    3 x 10 @ 50kg

Front Squat (from Power Clean)
    1 x 3 @ 25kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    1 x 3 @ 35kg
    1 x 3 @ 40kg
    1 x 3 @ 45kg
    1 x 3 @ 50kg
    1 x 3 @ 55kg PR

Foam Rolling (lower body only)

I probably should have supersetted the OHP and SLDL then done the stretching. I'll know next time! I'm going to have to practice my full Cleans as 55kg is close to the limit of my power Clean and the Front Squat was fairly comfortable, even if that's the heaviest I've ever Front Squatted, as I try to improve my upright posture and mobility in the hip so the bar is more on my delts and the weight not supported by my arms

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice double PR! :banana:

16. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Knew you'd like broscience! One of the funniest channels ATM, I've only just discovered it, love shouting Dom quotes round the gym!

You'll also be pleased to hear I found out who the girl with glasses from monster gym was! Just tracked her down now, god I need a life!

Front squat PR is awesome, 55kg is a hellish shift with your stats, spesh for a trebble, nice work princess.

17. Princess Haru

I think I know, she's a sprinter, hence the impressive Squat but can't Deadlift for toffee....

Today's workout should be titled Haruka vs The Barbarians. The plan was soon after warmup when there was a guy in the Power Rack, but he was doing Squats, so just had to wait and I did. Was setting up to do some Paused Squats over by the other rack which is too high for me to do proper lowATG style squatting so have to move into the main floor. While I was unloading and swapping over the slightly bent bar for a better one not in use, the other guy disappeared and The Barbarians took over the Power Rack (for Shrugs). I was mad as hell!:bang::bang::bang: :bang::bang: :bang::bang::bang: :bang::bang::bang:

Anyway let's start properly.

Warmup
    TKEs 3x15 L/R with blue band
    Skipping
    Overhead Squats 2x5 with empty bar

(No) Squats :mad:

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 5 @ 30kg
    1 x 3 @ 37.5kg
    1 x 3 @ 42.5kg
    2 x 3 @ 47.5kg
    5 x 2 @ 50kg

Back Squats
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 40kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 52.5kg
    1 x 2 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 62.5kg

Lying Leg Curls
    3 x 8 @ 50kg

Barbell Rows
    3 x 8 @ 40kg

Foam Rolling

I had meant to do some Bench after Squat, but a bit more organised with proper timed intervals, reps and sets at 50kg
    :rolleyes: The only positive was after getting really ****ed off I did some work with a young guy who interested on my Bench setup and low reps. I saw him later talking to one of the friends of the Barbarians, another bodybuilder so obviously takes on advice from other people at the gym.

18. seiken steve

Would the barbarians been a pain if you'd said you where using the rack? It's a shame that happened, despite frustrations that looks like a solid workout though.

19. Princess Haru

I think they would. It's like some kind of hierarchy where you lift more weight, you have more say. I'm not saying that's right, and it's probably stopping a lot of women who do come into the gym on their own maybe with a PT plan to work on not using the racks and thus leaving compound lifts which is the slippery slope back to cardio. That's pretty much why I can never get on the Bench if anyone is already on it, cannot share it, certainly never offered (while I will usually, it's not so much hassle to swap plates between sets, the bigger down side is not keeping a close track of rest periods).

I don't want to be waiting too close to the rack, I know it puts me off when I'm lifting, and I picked up a small calf strain on my last set :(

20. seiken steve

That's a real shame.

I don't think I'm subtle enough enough to pick up on that, I don't care if benny maggnason is using the rack, if he on more than 30 mins I'll ask, I pay the same damned gym fees than them I expect the same opportunities to use equipment.

My last box squat workout I worked in with someone who was benching, after every set we stripped the bar, lowered it, moved the box out and put a bench in. It really didn't ruin anything for me, I don't get it. I do know my mrs experiences the same issues in the weights room when I'm not there.