Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Another near empty gym. Pushing on bench and overhead press for more reps, recovered from DOMS earlier in the week. Still a hot gym in the middle of the day, gotta watch my hydration too.

01/10/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 5 minutes (the warm up).
    2. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes (with speed rope, more warm up).
    3. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg; then 1 set of 5 reps with 30kg and 35kg; then 5 sets of 6 reps with 40kg (totally owned it this time, result!)
    4. 'Overhead Press' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (finding these tough, added a set, gotta stick with it)
    5. '
    Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 8kg DBs (less reps and more weight than last week, superset with previous exercise, okay)
    6. 'Chin ups' - 4 sets of 5 reps (grand super set over remainder of workout between other sets 4, 6, 8 and 10)
    7. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with close grip bar (on their own, these are hard enough)
    8. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 16kg DB (10 reps each arm, upped it from last weeks 14kg, okay)
    9. 'Skull Crushers' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 15kg (slowly, though my triceps were screaming, jesus)
    10. 'Shoulder Flys' - 3 sets of 8 reps with 6kg DBs (superset with previous exercise, tough).

Trying to be vigilant on rest periods with 1:30 between bench sets and 1:00 on all other exercise, complicated when adding a superset, rest after two exercises. Pleased with reps today and upping some of the DB weights.:Angel:

Music supplied on Spotify by Deftones sure helped later in the workout, and some swearage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gxZIL4zpIQ"]Deftones - Back To School (Mini Maggit) (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

2. Princess Haru

I was thinking more of the periodisation that I don't know much about, but think after a deload or rest week going for a different set of exercises. Haven't completely thought it through yet. I do like routine

3. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

You don't need to change your routine after a deload. You really should stick with your routine until it stops working, or if your goals change.

On de-loading:
    http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-deload-properly-and-why-its-so-important/

The good and the bad on periodization and undulating periodization:
    http://mastersathlete.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/07/why-i-dont-buy-.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Periodize-Your-Exercises-to-Maximize-Power-For-MMA&id=1136633

4. Princess Haru

Looks like 8 weeks on 1 week off is the way to go.

5. Princess Haru

No training today as I'll be at a gig.... moved to Tuesday. Temps are supposed to be more autumnal which'll be good too. Hoping to get over to ARU to do a Judo session too during my lunchtime, if there are no bomb alerts like last week.

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

You have a lot more freedom in choosing how to periodize your training if you are unencumbered by professional fights, etc., so you need to do what feels right and fits your lifestyle the best. If you feel that your body is just getting beaten up after a few weeks, don't worry about making it a little less than 8 weeks. Good luck with it!

7. Princess Haru

Given the motivational issues and trying new exercises taking out so much workout time I might have done as well missing this one, ah, well....

04/10/2011 - Core & More (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 8-10 minutes with the leather rope (the warm up, running step, a few crossovers and even some double unders, go me!).
    2. 'Mobility Exercises' - 5 minutes (the warm up - part 2).
    3. 'Chinups' - 2 sets of 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 with 1 minute between sets, total 30 reps (manageable if time consuming method of getting in more reps, forearms/grip hurt a bit)
    4. 'Pushups' - 1 set of 15 reps with feet on 2nd step, 3rd step, 4th step, and balancing another step on the 4th to make a 5th step height, total 60 reps (Good fun, fairly challenging at 4 and 5, start higher next time)
    5. 'Hanging Leg Raises' - 4 sets of 5 reps (was aiming for feet touching the bar above my head but only managed on 1st and 2nd rep)
    6. 'Glute Raises' - 3 sets of 10 reps with the TRX on the power rack (tougher than expected, think I set the TRX a bit high, definately worth doing again)
    7. 'Hip Mobility Stretches' - 7 sets of 10 reps (trying these I found on the PerformanceU youtube channel, superset with last exercise)
    8. 'Squats' - 5 sets of 20 reps at half bodyweight, total 100 reps (which gave me hurty knee, though several were at a decent depth, for form training)

Grrrrrrr

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. Princess Haru

Got hurty knee trying to improve my squat stance and depth on Tuesday (not one of my normal training days) so been resting. Tonight's session was pretty meh, dry throat, wondering if I'm coming down with something. If so what preventative remedies should I be taking right now?

07/10/2011 - Lower Body Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 7 minutes of hell (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - legs and hips (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 20kg (more weight, more sets and more reps, not too bad)
    4. 'KB Swings' - 1 set of 100 reps with 16kg kettlebell (still unsure when to step up to the 20kg)
    5. 'RB Good Mornings' - 2 sets of 10 reps with blue/small resistance band (felt a little easy, maybe I need the green/medium band)
    6. 'Good Mornings' - 3 sets of 10 reps with the safety bar in the squat rack, with 40kg, 45kg and 50kg (fairly manageable if slow reps)
    7. 'Bench Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, then 5 sets of 5 reps with 50kg (damn hard, as I was sitting on a gym bench with feet on steps, so hips were very definately below parallel, probably not wise given hurty knee but coming up from dead stop was a real hamstring workout)
    8. 'Deadlifts' - 1 set of 10 reps at 50kg, combined with blue/small resistance band, then 1 set of 5 reps at 70kg and 90kg no band, finish on 1 set of 3 reps at 100kg but dropped the last rep (should have taken my belt didn't want to risk my back)

Grrrrrrr, though another workout tomorrow and 2.5 hours of judo :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

There is some (far from conclusive) evidence to suggest that taking echinacea as soon as you feel the symptoms coming on may limit the duration and severity of a cold/ the flu. I've read papers that both support and disagree with it's use.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Hope you fell better.

11. Princess Haru

Two workouts, one day. This was supposed to be upper body workout day but I said I would try Nigel's workout from Core Cambridge which was longer than expected and lot of plyo work, using 30 seconds between sets except 8. when I needed a minute plus!

08/10/2011 - Core Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Lunge Stretch' - 10 each side (the warm up pt.1, not what I'd have chosen).
    2. 'Downward Facing Dog - Scapula Pushup' - 10 times, see vid below (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Scorpions' - 10 each side (the warm up pt.3, another I'd not have chosen).
    4. 'Box Squat' - 5 sets of 3 reps with 40kg (first exercise, fairly easy)
    5. '
    Jumping Squat' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (second exercise, tough on the calves)
    6. 'Floor Press' - 5 sets of 3 reps with 2 x 16kg dumbbells (third exercise, setup tougher than exercise)
    7. 'Barbell Throws' - 4 sets of 3 reps with 30kg, see vid (fourth exercise requires a partner for full release, I practiced with bar wedged into a corner, in stance like for a reverse punch or cross, holding bar below weight, fairly challenging)
    8. 'Pullups' - 4 sets of 6 reps (fifth exercise, did chinups instead, tough)
    9. 'Front Split Squat' - 4 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (sixth exercise, forgot to do these after surviving the chinups).
    10. REPEAT - Complete 3 full sets of 4-9

Some new faces in the gym with start of the Michaelmas term.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyT-DeYpb0"]Stronger Shoulder Series: Scapular Push Ups - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZwea84-Yg"]STRONG 101, "Budget" Grappler Press - YouTube[/ame]

08/10/2011 - Judo (2 hours)
    My first judo class. Luckily I got partnered up with the womens team captain for most of the technical stuff. Did okay on the standing, but I was surprised not to get out of holds. Good class, it was packed!

12. Princess Haru

Felt like shifting the days of my workouts, trying lower body, core, upper body, other. Had planned on slightly different order but the squat rack was hogged the whole night, mightily ****ed off, I had to move some equipment out to a small unsecured power rack outside to do my GMs :woo:

10/10/2011 - Lower Body Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes with a plastic speed rope (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Mobility Exercises' - 5 more minutes of rotations and stuff (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 20kg (getting more in at the new heavier weight)
    4. 'Stiff Leg Deadlift' - 5 set of 6 reps with 70kg (done quite slowly, added another rep from previous time)
    5. 'Single Leg Deadlift' - 5 sets of 10 reps, 5 each side, with 24kg kettlebell (better on my right side than left)
    6. 'Bent Over Rows' - 4 sets of 10 reps with 35kg (fairly tough but stuck with it)
    7. 'Good Mornings' - 1 set of 5 reps with 20kg, then 2 sets of 10 reps with 40kg and 50kg (last two were hard)
    8. 'Face Pulls' - 2 sets of 10 reps at No.4 and No.5 done more level with shoulder than this vid below (should have started on No.5)
    9. 'Glute Bridges' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 70kg (still fairly tough)
    10. 'Back Extension' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 20kg (step up from 15kg last time, manageable)

Hamstrings and Glutes fairly blown, though I call it 'Lower Body' it's upper and lower back, hamstrings and glutes. Pushing for a little bit more each week but hoping to avoid it going to failure/injury!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjAgPZcrpQ"]EliteFTS.com - Face Pulls - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  13. Princess Haru

New day for the core workout, seems bit of a bit of everything, ran out of time to complete the last ex and didn't get in ex number six, how anyone does I dunno. This is the problem of being given a workout on paper then no one is around to check I'm getting all the parts right, between sets, weight priorities. Oh well...

12/10/2011 - Core Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 8 minutes with the leather rope (the warm up pt.1, really sucked, think it's the hurty knee).
    2. 'Mobility Warmup' - Back Roll to V Sit 10 times, Fire Hydrants 10 time each side both ways, Mountain Climbers 10 times, Groiners 10 times, Downward Facing Dog to Scapula Pushup 10 times (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Box Squat' - 5 sets of 3 reps with 45kg (first exercise, still fairly easy with more weight)
    4. '
    Jumping Squat' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 25kg (second exercise, concerned with knees so went lighter)
    5. 'Floor Press' - 5 sets of 3 reps with 2 x 18kg dumbbells (third exercise, setup tougher than exercise, can barely lift them into place but press is okay)
    6. 'Barbell Throws' - 4 sets of 3 reps with 30kg (fourth exercise, practiced with bar wedged into a corner, in stance like for a reverse punch or cross, holding bar below weight, fairly challenging so same weight as before)
    7. 'Chinups' - 4 sets of 6 reps (fifth exercise, maybe drop to sets of 5 reps as bit of killer and I need longer rest periods)

REPEAT 3 to 7 another two times for three full sets

Alas I couldn't bash out the last of those chinups, think it was 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, and I was forced to cut into my 1 min rest between sets to get out of the gym, Grrrrr :woo:.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtEzJpPR2Zg"]EliteFTS.com - The MINX DB Floor Press - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  14. Princess Haru

13/10/2011 - Judo (2 hours)
    ...and my second judo class. Stood out a mile as the only person in a room of 60 people with a black gi. Oh I do like to get noticed! ;) This time I partnered up with a guy about 2-3 stone heavier but did mean I really had to fight on some of the floor moves and have something to work on in my strength training, plus some flexibility like bridges and more dynamic movements. Didn't realise just how much of a workout a class was, I left it drenched

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZPGQ1G3e0"]Judo for MMA - Escape From Kesa Gatame 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  15. Frodocious

It's amazing how much of a workout you get in a judo class (or grappling in general). One of the places I train at doesn't have central heating and it gets so cold in the winter that everyone ends up with steam coming off them at the end of the class - it's quite disturbing!

16. Princess Haru

Couple more workouts, yesterday and today. Gym manager thinks I may be overtraining. Didn't like to say I just wanted to get most out of my membership but he might be right...

14/10/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 8-10 minutes (the warm up pt.1, though more because I was ****ed off about work and needed something to hit).
    2. 'Skipping' - 3-4 minutes, plastic rope, good (more warm up pt.2)
    3. 'Overhead Press' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (not my first choice of starting lift but lots of guys around the benches)
    4. 'Bench Press' - 1 sets of 10 reps with 20kg, then 1 set of 5 reps with 30kg and 35kg, then 5 sets of 5 reps with 40kg (a bit tougher as missed my last upper body and trinity workout)
    5. 'Incline Bench Press' - 2 sets of 20 reps with 12kg dumbbells (still hard but better than last time I did them, bench almost upright)
    6. 'Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 8kg dumbbells (tough but manageable)
    7. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with wide grip bar (no chinups today so pushed the weight up)
    8. 'Single Arm Incline Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps, 5 each side on the smith machine (experimental, saw this on youtube but cant find now, grrrrr)
    9. 'Rolling Tri Extension' - 3 sets of 8 reps with 8kg dumbbells, see vid (another tricep exercise that I struggle with).
    10. 'Shrugs' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 60kg barbell (about the maximum weight I can do a full range shrug)
    11. 'Rope Pulls' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.4 on cable machine (more triceps hell)

Busy in the gym at the start playing havoc with my order and rest timings, oh well it happens.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD5Mz2262fU"]DeFrancosGym.com - Exercise Index: Rolling triceps extensions - YouTube[/ame]

15/10/2011 - Squat + Core (1.5 hours)

It was going to be Squat + Bench + Deadlift but I partnered up with Nigel on squat then with him and Harry for the core workout, last exercises completely killed me!

SQUAT
    1. 'Mobility Warmup' - Back rolls to V Sit, Fire hydrants, Mountain climbers, Groiners, Downward facing dog to Scapula Pushup (as previous nos)
    2. 'KB Swings' - 1 set of 100 swings with 16kg kettlebell (for the hamstrings).
    3. 'Squat' - 1 sets of 10 reps with 20kg, then 1 set of 5 reps with 45kg, 52.5kg, 60kg and 67.5kg, then 1 set of 4 reps at 75kg, and 1 set of 3 reps at 80kg and 1 set of 2 reps at 85kg (been a while since I pushed for max, used a band on the squat rack to check depth was low enough)

CORE
    4. 'Single Arm Floor Press' - 2 sets of 5 reps, left and right, with 16kg dumbbell, then 2 set of 5 reps with 18kg, and 1 set of 3 reps with 20kg (got a fail on the left arm at 20kg, need more work on left)
    5. 'Barbell Throws' - 4 sets of 5 reps, left and right with 30kg (now able to let the bar go as someone to catch it and throw back)
    6. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 2 sets of 5 reps, left and right with 14kg dumbbell, then 1 set of 5 reps with 16kg, and 18kg (with only support other hand on bench at full body extension, flat back, legs straight, no shoulder movement, up on balls of feet)
    7. 'Landmines' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 25kg (easier than the throws)
    8. 'TRX Rollout' - 3 sets of 10 reps with TRX at about knee height (torture pt.1)
    9. 'Rotating Plank' - 3 sets of 10 reps with Swiss ball, cant find a vid for this yet (torture pt.2).

Collapse :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCE-dFx46QU&feature=related"]TRX Anti-Extension Fall Outs - YouTube[/ame]

Took my mind off work for a while and pleased with the 85kg squat :cool:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  17. Princess Haru

Second week of my restructured workout days (though I may have to shift/reprioritise again if I add BJJ on Mondays). Felt I needed to take it a bit easier as I picked up an elbow injury from Saturday, though wanted to try a max effort DL

17/10/2011 - Lower Body Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 5 minutes (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - another 5 minutes of mainly legs and some back (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 4 sets of 12 reps at 20kg (noticed the weight feels different depending which peg I put the it on, grrrrr)
    4. 'Good Mornings' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, then 40kg, 45kg, 50kg and 55kg using barbell (got in with a smaller group to do these on Squat Rack, new max 55kg)
    . 'Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 35kg (felt easier than last week, maybe getting stronger)
    . 'Glute Bridges' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 70kg (still fairly tough)
    7. 'Deadlifts' - 1 sets of 5 reps with 70kg, then 85kg and 95kg, then 1 set of 3 reps at 100kg, then 105kg and 110kg (kinda ran out of time or would have attempted another 3 reps at 115kg, as still felt quite strong, which is good news).

Overall less busy than some recent workouts but still happy with it.

18. Frodocious

:happy: Nice deadlifting! :D

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

^^^^What she said. :cool:

20. Princess Haru

Another core workout, but I was getting this all wrong, no three times over, just a bit more additional stuff at the end and adding weight between sets, Nigel overseeing and pushing me on...

19/10/2011 - Core Workout (1 hour)

1. 'Skipping' - 15 minutes with the plastic rope (the warm up, as my feet were really cold).
    2. 'Chin Ups' - 5 + 5 + 5 + 3 had intended to do these between sets but messed up
    3. 'Box Squat' - 5 sets of 3 reps with 50kg (tough as a starting weight but fairly easy to get dynamically off the bottom)
    4. '
    Jumping Squat' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (last set was properly, landing then up for next jump, then next and next...)
    5. 'Floor Press' - 5 sets of 3 reps with barbell at 30kg, then 35kg, 40kg, 45kg and 47.5kg (another I messed up, two arms with barbell or one with dumbbell)
    6. 'Barbell Throws' - 4 sets of 5 reps each side with 30kg (supersetted with floor press)
    7. 'Front Split Squat with Knee raise' - 4 sets of 4 reps each side with 20kg bar, last set 25kg (first time trying this exercise)
    8. 'Landmines' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 25kg (tried 30kg at first but struggled)
    9. 'TRX Rollout' - 3 sets of 10 reps (better than Saturday)
    10. 'Swiss ball plank with Rotations' - 3 sets of 10 reps (really tough)

Shorter workout, but the correct one, more or less, could have combined with a barbell lift, maybe bench. Still being 'encouraged' to enter the next powerlifting comp :rolleyes: