Hard times changing arts and master

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mr.Black, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

I will change my martial art soon. So i felt free to share it here with you. If you want, comment. :)

Buy now i did cross training in Taekwondo and Combat Hapkido. Got 1. dan in both of them.

Now i must change. Several reasons for that.

Main is because i am planning to move in another city (also several reasons - unemployed, can't find job in my city, so i am having problem with bank and credit, then all my friends and girl went to that other town to college..). And there is no ITF or Hapkido in that town.

That is first and main reason. And i got some smaller but still important reasons:

1. Knee problems - Taekwondo is no good for knees in most cases.

2. Inflexibility - i am pretty stiff. It's hard to have flexible legs for me, very hard. If i want it i must put really big time in it. In time i was flexible and now i am not, so doing all that kicks is tearing up my body pretty much.

3. My club, before, wasn't oriented at sport. We just trained with no pressure and no pushing over the limits constantly. Now we got focus on sport and training started to serve for medals as it usually going in sporty clubs. I don't like this way of training, neither i ever did. Yes i been in much competiotions, from ITF and WTF to kickbox and box, but it was without pressure and ''you must go things''.

What will i train there? Well i want some non sport oriented martial arts. I have not much choice in another town. Probably it will be Wing Chun or Krav Maga. Both goes perfect to my current knowledge and it will be good for me. Krav Maga have similarities with Combat Hapkido and i myself have been to dozens of Krav Maga seminars, so i will rather look for something new. If that WC club there do some good stuff by qualified master it will be my choice.

It's not thing that bothers me so much. I respect and love all martial arts. It's all Bushido just in different way. What i care the most about choosing the school is instructor / master who runs it and how he do it.

Here is major problem about all this, it is not the art i will miss, it is my Master. He isn't just a man ho teaches me martial art. As years passed by, he becamed my friend. He leaded me many times with wise advices, he helped me when i needed help, he was soo good and wonderful person, who wants just the best for his students. He is indeed real martial artist and life teacher who served his help to so many people. What was matter to him is that you are good and lovefully person, and not your perfect tehnique or medals.

It's hard for me to leave his school. All other instructors and masters now seems so cold. Every master can run a school and teach tehniques and principles, but eaching love and respect and all other good manners in life, that can't much of them.

It would be kindly if you would post word about your master, was it hard change him and did you even like him.

I know what he would say now, and that is right: ''think of a life as a highway. if we go the same track, speed, and direction, why i wouldn't cacth you for hand and helped you. but when my road start to go left, and your right..it's time to realise how beautiful time we had.''

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. bajie

bajie Valued Member

If the teacher is a friend then surely that friendship would continue after you stop training with him?

3. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Well surely it will. Thank you

4. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I agree to this. But anyway do i think u will see/find a new teacher/master. That will give u the same or even better understanding about MA and life. Not get stuck in the same gym or dojo. It is good to change from time to time. How many of u guys have had only 1 job. And still working there ? Not me for sure. And i love to move around. Then i get different experience and learn and see allot new things. Think positive Mr and good luck to u :hat:

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

1)He's a Master, not your Master.

2) It's a move, not death. You are getting way to sentimental about this.

3) He's a humanbeing, not a Messiah

4) Stay away from the Chun.

6. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Thank you for responses. Yes i am way to sentimental i know. But things are better now. Life goes and we must deal with it.

WhitePanda, can you clarify your statement no.4?

7. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Was wondering why you say stay away from WC aswell?

WC is a great martial art if its trained in a relistic manner with actual contact and sparring. Lots of people bash WC, many do so without having tried/trained in the art and base their opinions on crap youtube video's. Have a look at the class and if you like what you see then take the class if not go else where.

8. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

Since there is a strong friendship with your Master, your relationship goes beyond the boundries of the dojo, moving on from the club as a necessity is not wrong doing on his part or yours. A true friend (as well as a true master) will understand, respect, and support you in your search.

Better be friends and not train under him for now and future, than not be friends AND not train under him.

Sometimes "bad things" that happen actually turn out to be great blessings. Good luck.

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

WC schools like that are far and few between.