Hapkido Vs Ju Jitsu

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by OneDragons, Sep 27, 2004.

1. OneDragons

OneDragons Valued Member

Here's one for people who have had a go of both. I understand that they are very similar but hapkido has more kicks in.....other than that Im not too sure.

So what is the difference? btw I am NOT refering to BJJ but to classical or modern versions of japanese based ju jitsu.

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

This is going to start a war lol :)

Do you ask this because your interested in starting either Jujitsu or Hapkido?

3. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

:: puts on kevlar vest and helmet and climbs behind sandbags ::

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe im already there! :D

You normally find that some people create these posts because they're looking at taken up either of the two arts...

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Ju jitsu's better. End of thread :D (Before anyone starts flaming, the previous comment is a JOKE referring to the fact that I study ju jitsu)
    Hapkido features more of an emphasis on striking from what I can gather, and more in the way of small joint manipulations such as finger locks whereas most styles of ju jitsu have more throwing. I could be wrong since I have never studied hapkido, but there are many similarities between the two arts, the differences lie in the focus of the two.

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

hehe i would agree Sever ;) again because i too do jujitsu. :p But, if i were doing Hapkido then naturally i'd say Hapkido is better :)

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Possibly, but deep down you'd know ju jitsu is better ;)

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Ahmen my brother in jujitsu ;):p

9. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greeting,

This is an old discussion but in short HKD is derived from Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu (a Japanese style) and Korean kicking techniques.

So in short HKD is Jujutsu the next discussion should be what's the difference between one Jujutsu style and the next?

Aiki-Jujutsu features non-resistance and circular principles similar to Aikido but more realistic in application meaning HKD works, some non-Aiki styles are more straight foward such as Danzan Ryu which I call plain ordinary jujutsu.

All styles of JJ Arts use Throws, locks, chokes, strikes and kicks to varying degrees that depeands on the style.

10. OneDragons

OneDragons Valued Member

Well Im not trying to start a flame war :) .

My background is in ju jitsu and was wondering about equivalent korean styles. So would it be fair to say hapkido is similar to aikido with kicks?

How similar/dis-similar is hapkido compared with tang soo do?

Obviously nothing is better than ju jitsu in every respect (only joking :) )

11. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings

HKD is NOT Aikido with kicks!

It's Aiki-Jutsu with kicks if you will there's quite a big difference.

You must do the research or get tapes of Hapkido you will quickly see the difference.

Also TKD, TSD, are really Japanese/Okinowan Karate with more kicks, HKD kicking is mostly of Chinese origin based on Tae Kyon a very old kicking style and different from modern TSD etc.

Go to this link there are a dozen or so videos www.worldhapkido.com/videoclips.htm

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

In the interest of fairness, I will say "Oh no... Hapkido is better"

and "My Daddy is bigger than yours...."

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's only fair! :)

14. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I doubt it mate, my dad's 6'7!
    It's nice to see a style comparison thread like this which has stayed both informative and good humoured :)

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Severs daddy is bigger than mine! :)

16. Thomas

Oh dear... my Daddy is quite small (5'6"), but he's tough!

About jujitsu and Hapkido... I think they marry up pretty well. In my limited experience with jujitsu, I'd say that they end up pretty similar. I attended a jujitsu seminar with Soke Morris (anyone hear of him?) and the stuff he did compared pretty well to ours (similar) although his delivery tended to be a bit "harder" compared to our "softer" style.

Personally, I think Hapkido covers all the ranges pretty well, but in my experience haven't seen as much on the grappling range... which makes BJJ a good art to cross train in to add a bit of depth to the Hapkido stuff.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Good explanation. As I stated earlier, I think they're similar arts, they just differ in their focus.
    Is that Soke Richard Morris that you attended a seminar with? I know of him; he and my instructor are friends and he's coming to my dojo soon to do a seminar, I'll definitely be going to that.

18. Thomas

Yes!!! His seminar was really good... you'll know it when he grabs a hold of you! He's not that tall, but he's built like a barrel and has forearms of steel. We picked up a lot of "little stuff" ("old man tricks") that we still slide in to class sometimes. Great seminar and heck of a nice man!

19. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

this ought to be fun... something i have some knowledge about...
    since i have practised ju-jitsu for 7y (from age 7-14 - [blue belt holder]) and i am doing hapkido for 1y now...
    i can agree with most that has been said, but i would like to add some comments:

- in my opinion, in ju-jitsu i had to learn more selfdefense locks+techniques than in hapkido (hoshinsul)
    for each belt in ju-jitsu, we had to know about 20 different techniques (white belt would be mostly getting free; yellow would be getting free and counterstriking; orange would be getting free and counterlocking + orange-1stripe, 2stripe and 3stripe would be countering punch offences; green would be selfdefence agains weapons [knife, stick, gun, riffle...]; blue would be more aikido/hapkido-like techniques agains locks+striking attacks; brown would be all the budo-kata's [kata's from budokan karate] = a style exam; and because i didn't test for black and i was never present on a 1st dan exam i can't tell you about that ;)
    in hapkido, we are doing a mix of the above... you can decide wheter it's better or not, but I FIND IT more allround. Because in one year of hapkido i learned 'a bit of everything': throws, locks, defence against weapons, defence against strikes, groundlocks...
    because i did ju-jitsu i have a good background for hapkido, but i suppose this applies for most selfdefence Martial Arts... :)

o yeah
    in hapkido I do more jumping and falling then in ju-jitsu
    and we did more forms in ju-jitsu than in hapkido, but I still do forms in taekwondo
    sparring = almost the same (for ju-jitsu and hapkido, maybe a bit more groundfighting (grapling) in ju-jitsu)

grtz
    :D yves

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

We must'nt forget. That all schools teach differently.