Hapkido Schools in suburbia Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by SamR, Sep 11, 2013.

1. SamR

SamR New Member

I have been practicing Hapkido for 7 years and I am relocating to suburbia Philadelphia. Does anyone have any recommendations for schools? I will be in the Cheltenham/Abington/Norristown area.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

pretty broad question. what did google turn up?

3. SamR

SamR New Member

That is the problem. Google only shows TKD schools.

4. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

5. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

if you can't find a hkd school, i'd consider looking at aikido, it seems to be the best option in those specific areas.

6. Sinmoo

Sinmoo Valued Member

Try this school about 45minutes from you. www.streetsafemartialarts.com

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I think it's fairly typical for Sin Moo Hapkido. Keep in mind that this looks like a quick overview of the system or maybe a portion of an in class test. The falls, kicks and locks look typical. The instructor shown (in black) is Master Stuart Rosenberg (who posts here as AmericanHKD). I know that they do quite a bit of self defense focused work as well and are very open to cross training (Master Rosenberg trains in BJJ as well, if I recall). I've been on the mat a little bit with him and he is very talented, articulate in his instruction, and committed to both tradition as well as constant improvement.

9. Sinmoo

Sinmoo Valued Member

Thanks guys my New Name here is Sinmoo had to re-register for my old handle wasn't working.

Thomas is right I teach Sinmoo and am I direct student of Doju Ji Han Jae.

The clip you saw is somewhat typical but that is what most lower rank student study. I place a strong emphasis on correct mechanics and understanding what and why your doing something. Higher ranked student learn weapons, joint lock and throw counters, knife defense, multiple attackers, etc... Our ground work is enhanced by some skills from BJJ but focused on self def. not sport.

Lastly Sinmoo emphasizes meditation, Ki development and health.

I'm open to any questions

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013