Hapkido meditation

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Epitome, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Epitome

Epitome Banned Banned

What's the deal with all the meditating in hapkido i mean is the purpose just to focus your mind why don't they do it in TKD then?

when you put your hands out and breath out its almost like you are forcing air out into someone.

i can see how it would be good for practicing your Kup yell!

i think it is just a breathing excerise but i wondered if it started out like that or evolved from something.

has it always been around and TKD just drpped it or is it hapkido exclusive?

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hi, Epitome.

I am not a practitioner of pure, unadulterated HKD, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to. In the variant of HKD that I practice (i.e. kuk-sool) we do specialized breathing exercises as an extension of ki-gong (기공; 氣功). However, the connection of breathing technique with KI is something I've always heard espoused in the MA, even when I studied JMA (so how is it that you're unfamiliar with this concept?).

Hopefully the link to Wicked Pædia is helpful....

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Based on previous posts I think that epitome is more familiar with TKD than hapkido? At any rate, based on my experience most TKD classes don't study Ki breathing exercises.

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

When I took tkd as a kid we were forced to meditate at the beginning of every class.

5. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I did not say that TKD practitioners do not practice meditation. I said they usually don't practice Ki breathing exercises. Keep your eye on the ball Sketco! :bang:

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Well it was breathing exercises anyway. The idea was to take the longest, slowest, controlled breaths possible with the longest space in between. Eventually your body stopped wanting to gasp for air. I don't know if you want to call it ki breathing but it was helpful.

7. unknown-KJN

:thinking: Hmmm...

Sounds like [one type of] ki breathing to me. :cool:

EDIT:

The breathing pattern mentioned above is a generic foundation for building up one's Ki energy, hence why the exercise is often termed as "meditation." There IS a special Ki gathering/channeling exercise, which although not specific to HKD, isn't embraced by too many other MA. For the record, this second type of breathing isn't typically viewed as meditation but more as a means of harmonizing one's mental & physical focus for better performance, and can also be thought of as "ki breathing."

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  8. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I feel 100% sure that our friend did not practice Ki Cho Jah Ki/Danjeon breathing in his TKD class.

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I was seven. I really don't have much more idea than what I described. IIRC the head teacher was also a dan rank in hapkido tho.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I've seen quite a few different variations on "Ho Heup Beop" (breathing patterns/exercises) throughout different Hapkido kwans. Seems like a pretty common thing. I haven't seen as much in Taekwondo though. I think a few are shown pictorially in Dr. Kimm's Hapkido book, GM Myung Kwang Shik's books (if I remember correctly), and in GM In Sun Seo's most recent Hapkido textbook.

11. unknown-KJN

This revelation (as well as you being quite young when exposed to the ritual and therefore not as mindful in observing it) sorta invalidates it as an example of something practiced in HKD classes, which is generally absent from TKD classes.

'nuff said! :woo: