Hapkido dojangs in Seoul.

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Mike_101, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Next summer vacation I will be in seoul to meet some friends and friends of family. I will be staying litle under three weeks. In Yeonnam-Dong Mapo Gu. Off course I will go out and enjoy the culture. But I was wondering, does anybody know of a hapkido dojang where it would be possible for me to train in for these weeks, preferably near Mapo gu. Gangseo gu is great as well.

I know it is litle time, but I don't think I should miss up on such an oppertunity to practice hapkido in korea. :) I do not have a lot of experience in hapkido. Only a few lessons. I have a few books on it, and have the rank of 2th kyu in aikido. (Brown belt.) I am very interested in it though, and find it to be a great style!

To be honest I am looking for dojang's affiliated with the korea hapkido federation and/or Jin Jung kwan. This style has caught my eye since I saw a demonstration. Off course any kind of dojo that is related to sin moo is fine as well. This is the style of hapkido I wish to find.

And I am not looking for a dojo affiliated with the International hapkido federation from Gm Myong Jae Nam. I do not have anything against it, just from my experience not what I am looking for.

Well that is a lot of information :) . I don't even know if anybody will be able to help, but thanks a lot in advance!

2. Dave Boy

Dave Boy New Member

Mike...trying contacting 'klaasb'. He's a Dutch guy that has been living in Korea for awhile (although I believe he's back in Holland). If anyone can give you some info, he'd be my first shot....

Regards,

Dave.

3. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Good luck with finding somewhere in Korea to train next summer. Just out of curiosity, can you describe some of the differences you have seen between Jin Jung Kwan or Sin Moo and the IHF branch of HKD? This would be really interesting for me as I am not too familiar with all the different branches.

Thanks.

4. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Thank you very much. :)

Ah I think it will be better if an experienced hapkido practioner explains this. Perhaps someone wishes to do so. (Best thing I can say is check both of them out, look at lessons etc.) :) Thank you for your reply!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  5. klaasb

klaasb ....

The best advice I can give you is to check out http://www.sangmookwan.com/

Oh, they are IHF, but I am sure they can teach you a lesson or two ;-)

6. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Ah thank you very much for the website.
    I am sure they can teach me a lesson, any day of the week :D and then some.

I do not have anything against IHF, only respect for it.

7. Olderico

Olderico New Member

If you are looking for Jin Jung Kwan: I think GM Lee Chang-Soos Dojang is situated in Seoul. His HP is www.jjkhapkido.net., but is in korean language.
    But if you have look on here:www.korea-hapkido.be . Guy Kusters is the official representative for JJK in Belgium, may be he can help you to establish a contact to GM Lee. Otherwise have look on here:www.korea-hapkido.de.
    Its GM Chois HP, he is the official representative for JJK in Europe. Im sure
    he can tell you how to get in touch with GM Lee.

8. klaasb

klaasb ....

Anyway, the instructor of sangmookwan is in the Netherlands right now.
    On March 25th there will be an open seminar in Veldhoven (N. Brabant)

More information can be found at http://www.hapkido.nl/ (in Dutch)

9. skitzo

skitzo New Member

I lived and trained in South Korea for just over 2 years. I was just south of Seoul in Taegu. You're going to find some big differences. Get to a BIG school if you can. I don't know what your ethnicity is, but it's almost a status symbol for school to have a caucasian student. (Not a big deal in Seoul though - lots of military running amuck in Itaewon). Like in North America, there are school which are belt factories. - If you are sparring remember the rules are different. I competited for 2 years and won only once. The Koreans are BLAZING fast and if they knock out a tooth the match continues right along. The tounraments are usually held in arenas and are HUGE by North American standards.

10. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Thank you very much for your reply skitzo. I'll remember your post and am very thankfull to you for sharing that info! I don't think I will do much competing though :).