Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Blade3

Blade3 Valued Member

As we say in my native HT of Philly, Yooo! What's up?
    I'm glad that we've got some knowledgeable HKD practioners in here. :)
    I've been around the world in 80 days in HKD. Started at Song's Hapkido in Culver City, CA under Master Eric Lynn then married & moved to Rancho Cucamonga, Ca & trained @ Kim's Hapkido (Jin Mu Won) under Master Jeff Walker, switched work schedules & commuted down to West Covina to train under Grand Master Kim exculsively. :love: ( The wifey didn't agree with the commute or the time so I started training at Kim's Hapkido (Jang Mu Won) under Master Ky Ti, then they shut down for a while & I started training at their Fontana school under the Sanchez Couple... [3yrs. later]Wifey didn't agree with me in the house any longer :D so I returned to my home town & started at Son's Hapkido as a white Belt :bang: After 2 months I just did not like the forms & the mandatory request to purchase a Gumdo uni & pay for that class so I jetted down to the Phila. MMA & trained in BJJ/MT for awhile until I returned to Cali this past Feb. While here in North Hollywood I started training at Song's Hapkido directly under GM Song: :eek: He's a really, really nice man but waaaaay to traditional, we spent too much time bowing to flags, eachother, * him. We did a lot of jumping around and flicking the wrist & doing snappy punches, listening to music & meditation while he talked about peace, love & harmony and there's just too much stuff that I saw & didn't like to mention. Bottom line is, I left & started making the 27 mile commute in LA traffic to Kim's Hapkido (Jang Mu Won) in Monrovia, CA to train under Master Les Connard ( when I can make it... I 'm a proffesional camera man so It's not unusal for me to work 17 hr. days which I've done for about 6 weeks now.)
    I know it's long but this post made me reflect back to just where did I start with Hapkido. :confused:
    Oh yeah I'm changing my screen name to....
    I'll keep ya posted.
    B3

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Huge Congrats to Xerxes for promotion to 1st dan!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Hapkidoin_P and Blade3! Hapkidoin_P, I also hold dan rank under the Hanminjok Association. What style (kwan) are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Nice to meet you. Blade3, you sure have tried a lot of Hapkido schools... I am glad you stuck with the system until you find a teacher you wanted to be with! Welcome.

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF (Myeong Jae-nam's IHF)and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

2. John_IHF - Florida (USA) / IHF

3. Jointlock - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

4. SilverQ - Alberta (Canada)/ Hapkido

5. SaJooNim - Lincoln, NE (USA) / Shin Koo Hapkido

6. Kosh (Marc) - NE England/ Hapkido

7. Paratus (Mike) - Darien, Illinois (USA)/ Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwon)

8. Chan Fan - Regina/ Jin Pal Hapkido

9. Chris from CT - Connecticut (USA)/ Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

10. shadow warrior (Keith Stewart) - Toronto, Ontario (Canada)/ Hapkido

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

12. Hapki_18 (Yoky) - Alhambra, California (USA)/ Jang Mu Won Hapkido

13. Coomazen (Mel) - Atlanta, Georgia (USA)/ Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

15. WorldChampTKD - Ranco Cucamonga, California (USA) / Hapkido

16. HeadKick44 - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

17. blessed samurai - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (USA) / HoShinDo Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

19. Bob1770 - Nebraska (USA) / Hapkido

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

21. moogong - Virginia (USA) / Hapkido

22. kcs - Clemson, South Carolina (USA) / Hapkido (Wol Ge Kwan)

23. Poorly knee - London (England) / Hapkido (under Tammy Parlour)

24. Xerxes - Atlanta, Georgia (USA) / Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

25. milt10n - Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (WolGeKwan)

26. Hapkido - Saint Louis, Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (under Yong Sue Rho)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

28. davjohns - Trussville, AL (USA) / Combat Hapkido

29. Master Macdonal (Ian MacDonald) - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) - Hapkido

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

32. nj howard - New Jersey (USA) / Jung Ki Kwan Hapkido

33. whip - Stratford, Connecticut (USA) / Hapkido (Huang's)

34. JamesD / Hapkido (US Hapkido Federation under Mr. Don Burns)

35. bvermillion - Great Lakes (area), North America - Hapkido

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

37. Tittan - Trondheim (Norway) / Hapkido

38. KingRippa - Springfield, Illinois (USA) / Hapkido (US Hapkido Fed.)

39. Oldie / Combat Hapkido

40. BackFistMonkey - (somewhere around Ill) / Hapkido

41. Jiraiya - Atlanta, Georgia (USA) / Hapkido (Black Knight Dojang)

42. AmericanHKD (Stuart Rosenberg) / SinMoo Hapkido and Ulji Kwan Hapkido

43. CHON-TU KWAN / Combat Hapkido

44. evilkingston - Belgium / IHF (Myong Jae-nam) Hapkido

45. Hapkidoin_P - Merrillville, IN (USA) / Hapkido (Hanminjok Hapkido Association and World Kido Federation)

46. Blade3 - Monrovia, CA (USA) - Jang Mu Won Hapkido

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

3. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

Hi Thomas,

That's pretty cool! Are you going to be at GM Seo's seminar out by me on Sat and Sun? There are going to be some truly talented practitioners there.

As far as my Kwan goes. I guess we are one of those horrible "independents". :D

We do get our rank through Hanminjok,but I don't think we are a member of any particular "group". It's really never been brought up before. :confused:

Just show up and train hard,ya know? Never really been interested in politics. No offense taken,I hope. :)

4. Thomas

I am trying to get to the Montreal seminar in December but can't make the one near you.

I asked about "kwan" because I know the Hanminjok (World KidoHae) tends to be an umbrella organization made up of some really great people and schools. I am a member through Combat Hapkido, which is recognized under the Hanminjok as well. I do my best to avoid the political in-fighting that sometimes goes on and I try to train with anyone I can.

Nice to "meet" you!

5. Hapkidoin P

Thanks,Thomas.

It's good to see there are other "a-political" Hapkidoin out there! Hopefully we'll get the chance to train together someday. I am seriously considering going to Korea in 2006. How 'bout you?

Have you heard anything about the trip? I think it will be for the 2nd Pusan Mayors Cup and Martial Arts Exhibition. I know your GM,Pelligrini, was there for the last one in April(?),and was wondering if he invited any of his students to go along for the next one? :)

6. Thomas

I don't know if I will go, but my instructor is thinking about it. He went last time with GM Pelligrini (and a bunch of other guys). GM P received his 9th dan at that time from the Hanminjok Association there.

7. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

Hello. Wow, a lot of bodies here.
    My name is Russell. I have been in the martial arts for nearly 30 years and have been doing Hapkido since 1989 under GM Yi, Jang Hak. GM Yi has been in the US military reserves since he left the Korean military (some 25 years ago) and and was made active in early 2002. I bought his school from him and have enjoyed great personal success teaching full time since then.

I look forward to an interesting exchange of ideas through this site.

8. Hapkidoin P

Hi and welcome! It's good to see so many Hapkidoin here,no?

Now, if we all could only find a way to talk about technique and Philosophy.... :D

9. Coreo

Coreo New Member

Hello! I'm new to MAP and thought I'd introduce myself here.

Name: Coreo (Corey)
    School: King Tiger Martial Arts
    Style: Hapkido & TKD
    Weapon: Sai's
    Other: Gymnastics

10. Thomas

Welcome to dngrruss and Coreo! Nice to see more poeple coming and sharing... please take a look at the threads here and add to them. Start new threads as you see the need. Welcome!

1. Thomas - New York (USA) / Moo Moo Kwan IHF (Myeong Jae-nam's IHF)and ICHF (Combat Hapkido)

11. hapkiyoosool (Master Jeff Allen) - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyoosool

14. SilverDragons - Panama City, Panama (Central America) / Song Moo Kwan Hapkido

18 BSR - Missouri (USA) / Hapkido (United States Korean Martial Arts Federation)

20. mike-IHF (Michael Merchant) - Florida (USA) / Hapkido, Hapkiyusul (under Master Jeff Allen)

27. Rod (Rodrigo Molina) - El Monte, California (USA) / Jang Mu Won Hapkido (under Master Les Connard)

30. sputnik - Calgary, Alberta (Canada) / Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Wade Langin (Flying Eagle Hapkido)

31. Bobby from TX - Denton, Texas (USA) / Hapkido under Chief Instructor Michael Nestor

36. doshim (Jon Davis) - Venice, California (USA) - Hapkido (under GM Bong Soo Han); Director of Operations for GM Bong Soo Han's IHF

45. Hapkidoin_P - Merrillville, IN (USA) / Hapkido (Hanminjok Hapkido Association and World Kido Federation)

47. dngrruss (Russell) - California (USA) - Hapkido (GM Yi, Jong Hak)

48. Coreo (Corey) - Va Beach (VA, USA) - Hapkido

Note: If you want anything added or changed, just let me know. I base the posting only on what the poster wrote in the "check-in" post itself. Thanks.

11. Thomas

Find a good topic and start a thread... I'm sure someone will share!

12. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Newbie!

Hi guys. I learn at the Hapkido International Association (HIA) in Melbourne, Australia, under Greg Walters (4th Dan). The HIA is headed by Master Jong Hyuk Kim and is a part of the IHF under president Won Sang Cho. Our school recently travelled to Korea to compete in the Moo Moo Kwan competition and came out with on top. Have only been there for a few weeks and am loving it. Grading for my yellow belt in a couple of week.

Previously had some short term experience with another Hapkido school and taekwondo school but moving house caused that to cease. My introduction to the martial arts was through a friend of mine who brought me along to learn wushu from Master Lai Wei Tang who was a member of the Beijing Wushu team at the same time as Jet Li. I studied wushu for 2 years before injuring my back, groin, ankle in succession and then severing tendons in my left hand. As you can tell by my typing, my hand has successfully healed.

Looking forward to wasting endless hours at work chatting with you guys.

13. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Asked to give some info here, don't really like blowing my own horn.

Started training in Hapkido in fall, 1979 in London, England. Came quickly under the auspices of GM Fred Adams, Founder of Britains first Hapkido organization, the Great Britain Hapkido Association. GM Adams changed the name to International Hapkido to reflect the large number of other Europeans outside the UK that had joined his organization.

Returned to the US for college, ended up in Illinois. GM Adams always expected me to search out "roots" of Hapkido as his instructor had very little to say about the history except that Choi, Yong Sul was the founder.

Most recently, hosted the final seminar of GM Mike Wollmershauser, a week before his passing which led to an introduction to Chang, Chin Il, current Dojunim of Hapkido under Choi, and Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo of Taegu, South Korea, Choi's longest traning student and one of only three men ever given 9th Dan by Choi himself, (the others being Chang, Chin Il and Kim Yun Sang).

I don't really care about rank, never have. Most people I have met don't deserve to claim what they do... I tell my students that when I run out of stuff to teach them, they should leave. Have some that have been around for 15 years.

I am VERY political, (I mean, you can't really write about Ki on a forum. now can you) and I don't apologize for it. Train in what you want, that's awesome, if it works for you that's great - but if it stinks, I tend to call it as I smell it...but I keep the politics AWAY from the training - quite seperate things.

Currently loving the fact that I am allowed to train under the wing of Grandmaster Lim, Hyun Soo of Taegu, and some fine Americans that have worked with him for a long time out in the North-East.

14. Thomas

Greetings Iron Ox... we're glad to have you here. It's nice to have people of various backgrounds and long experience sharing. About the politics... well, as you know many Hapkido practioners can be pretty political and very outspoken about their views. We encourage the open exchange of ideas but hope to maintain a fairly friendly atmosphere. We hope that everyone uses tact and diplomacy and especially an open mind when discussing issues here (especially politics). If you take a look at the "Check In" (which I'll add you to in just a few minutes), you'll see a lot different Hapkido schools represented... all with different backgrounds and ideas. Please enjoy this diversity and have fun!

15. Thomas

We reached 50!!!!!!!

Welcome to Romulus and iron ox! It's awesome to see people from all over the world with so many backgrounds getting together to share their knowledge and love of Hapkido. Welcome and have fun!

47. dngrruss (Russell) - California (USA) - Hapkido (GM Yi, Jong Hak)

48. Coreo (Corey) - Va Beach (VA, USA) - Hapkido

49. Romulus - Melbourne, Australia - HIA Hapkido (under Greg Walters)

50. iron ox (Kevin Sogor) - Chicago, IL (USA) - Hapkido

16. Kosh

Kosh New Member

No it isn't.

17. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Well... Hello everyone, I've lurked round this forum for quite a while but since coming to university have recently added Hapkido to my list of arts that I study. I think it is the Duk Moo style. It's either that or club I belong to is just called the Duk Moo acadamy.

Really enjoying it so far, I plan to compete in Shotokan Karate tournaments and this is a brilliant way to complement my Shotokan training. I'm also loving the staff traing that we do.

18. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 Valued Member

Greetings!
    James Maxwell in Missoula MT, checking in. 5th Kyu Combat Hapkido. Great to see a site that has a good HKD forum!
    See ya on the boards!

19. tswolfman

tswolfman New Member

Question??

My only Experience with Hapkido is With the World Traditional Hapkido Alliance I am trying to Find a good Distance learning Hapkido Organization to study under. I dont feel the World Traditional Hapkido Alliance Is exactl;y what i am looking for. Can anyone give me any sugestions

20. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

What are you looking for? Where in the world are you located, that gives a narrower view of who to recommend.