Hapkido Check In

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Mr Hatfield

Mr Hatfield Valued Member

Bruce:

My Linage is this:

Choi, Yong Sul
    Ji, Han Jae
    Lee, Yong Ho
    Ahn, Hyeon Whan

Are you a Hapkido practitioner also?

I study at:
    Kaesung Academy
    236 South Main St
    Springville, Utah 84663
    801-489-6838

I study under Ahn, Hyeon Whan. He is a 10th Dan in Hapkido, He was the Heavy Weight Asian Kyuk Tu Ki (Muy Thai) Champion for 4 years, and holds high ranks in other arts including Taekwondo.
    Juntong Musul Federation (traditional martial arts federation) is a training/ certifying body for Self Defense, and Hapkido programs.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Thanks for the info. For myself, I am a student of MYUNG Kwang Sik, who also studied under JI Han Jae and later directly under CHOI Yong Sul. Our material is a sort of interface among the various experiences that Myung had in his MA career. There is certainly a strong KONG SOO DO influences as one sees in our five forms. There is likewise, a sort of "japanese-flavored" (more Judo-like) approach to grappling with a growing accent on the HAPKIYUSOOL applications as one delves deeper into the material.

Years ago a famous Japanese master, Mochizuki, developed a similar interface among Japanese arts and identified it as "AIKI-BUDO". In many ways I think of YON MU KWAN Hapkido, the material I practice and teach, in much the same way. FWIW.

3. Mr Hatfield

Thanks for your info. I have a little other kind of view to Hapkido and some tryed to poke at me for saying so. I feel Hapkido is more of a philosophy than an individual martial art. Hapkido means "coordinated power way". Hapkido was actually developed from many arts and continues to develop (coordinate) with other arts. To us, there is only one rule. Techniques must really work for self defense whether its a strike, hold, escape or redirect.

4. TSDSteve

TSDSteve Valued Member

Hi All,

Just a quick question i would appreciate the views of others.

I currently study Tang Soo Do (2nd Gup) and am thinking that sometime in the future (maybe once i achieve black belt) that i would like to try another type of martial art. Tang Soo Do is a Korean art as is Hapkido.

My question is: Would there be a benefit in learning Hapkido to supplement Tang Soo Do? (Tang Soo Do is primarily a kicking and striking art) and would the two complement or conflict with each other?

I am also of thinking maybe trying Wing Chun Kung Fu as another option

Thanks

Steve

5. Mr Hatfield

Steve,

I would have to say I think Hapkido would be great to use as another type of understanding. I feel also the more and more you learn the better just find good schools, Practice, and work hard.

Thanks,
    Ty

6. Corwin

Corwin New Member

I would add a condition to that. The techniques must work AND adhere to the 3 basic prinicples of Hapkido: water, circle, and Ki (or non-resistance if you like). If it violates one of those it might very well be a good technique, but not really Hapkido.

That's just my view on that. And this is me checking in:

17 years in Jang Mu Won Hapkido under GM Chong Sung Kim, Alhambra, Ca and under several of his top students: Master Steve Peterman in San Dimas, Mr. Jeff Harris in Pomona originally, among many other excellent instructors in the system. I've been very blessed.

7. Mr Hatfield

I look at them also and for true teq understanding it is to me same but also Circle, disrupt, and droping your level. If you look at any good move there is always this if throw someone I will disrupt pull them though circle and pulling to make them off balanced then drop my level to make the throw. If I use any move you use this simple concept in making the move work.

8. tcasella

tcasella New Member

New Member Check In

Hello all,
    My name is Tony; I have a mixed-bag martial arts background but one of my primary interests is in Hapkido.
    I trained in Seoul and Uijongbu under the "Bi Ryung Kwan" and then the "Koryo Kwan" for about 2 years and have been training in various other schools since.
    Looking forward to some friendly and thought provoking discussion on the boards.

Thanks

9. Saltador

Saltador Valued Member

I am now stuydying Hapkido under the auspicies of Maestro Santiago. He operates a Hapkido Dojang within the confines of the Dober Gym. We have gotten off to a good start thus far and I am even learning Catalan better from him, than I would in my local area where they speak a translated version of Spanish from Catalan. Two birds killed with one stone, so to speak.

10. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

I am studying Jin Jung Kwan Hapkido under Master Mike Nestor, just north of Dallas.

11. JoshL

JoshL Valued Member

My name is Josh (shocker) and I just started training in hapkido about 2 weeks ago. As far as style I don't think he's labeled it anything other than "combat hapkido"

I train under Master Cosentino in the Pittsburgh PA area.

I am also training in Muay Thai, BJJ, and Kali....mostly for the workout though.

I'm a big guy trying to lose weight (lost 20 lbs so far) and just going to the gym wasnt doing it for me...though muay thai seems to be. I take BJJ and Kali simply because they come before/after hapkido or muay thai and I was looking for more activity on the nights I was in the Dojang.

12. JimR1961

JimR1961 New Member

I'm Jim. I study under Kwon, Tae-Man. I am in red belt and have been training for 3 years.

13. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

I am a member of the World Traditional Hapkido Alliance.

14. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

But that's the great thing about the 3 principles... With over 22 years of training and black belts in Hapkido(of course), TKD and Jujitsu I don't think I've come across a technique yet that can't be said to adhere to at least 1 of them lol. But then again, I'm not a purist...if its a great technique, it's a great technique and I think it's crazy not to take it and make it your own.... Afterall, isn't that how Hapkido started in the first place?

15. Bruce W Sims

I was thinking, as I read the exchange, that it may be well to go softly on the matter of how "philosophical" Hapkido might be. There has been a lot of corruption, revision and re-engineering of the arts over the years.

In the case of the Three Principles, for instance, it is worthwhile to note that CHOI Yong Sul did not teach such. Two sources subsequent to Choi's teachings that might account for these include SUH In Hyuk (see: KUK SUL WON) and MYONG Jae Nam (see: IHF). It is also important to know that, like the Japanese arts, considerable "softening" of the more combative and militant aspects of the Hapkido arts took place beginning in the 1960-s so as to make the practices more acceptable to civilians and recreational practitioners. This degrading of material for public consumtion has continued for a number of decades now resulting in a very different activity for public consumption versus what is sought-out for military and para-military use. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

16. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I am a relative new comer to the world of Hapkido but I love it utterly.

My teacher, Jung Kyu Cheon, has held some rather impressive titles in his day. He has two schools in the Northwestern Illinois area.

This saturday I get to take my orange belt test. That doesnt sound like much to most of you I'm sure but I've had to overcome a ruptured achilles tendon and a mild heart attack since joining so the fact that I can even take the test is a testament to my teachers infinite patience.

I'm still not 100% but I refuse to quit and have this taken away from me. I will earn my orange belt and I will eventually earn my black belt. The pitfalls I've faced only make me want it more.

At anyrate, I dont have much more information as to the "type" of hapkido I'm learning but I can find out. I do know that he's dead set against forms of any kind in hapkido as he says the type of hapkido we're being taught doesnt have forms in Korea. Goodness, I sound like a 12 year old with the "he saids", lol.

17. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

Good luck and persevere big mikey.

18. Bruce W Sims

Keep that positive mental attitude. Progress in the Hapkido arts depends on consistency. Show up for each class and give it the same effort each time.l You will move ahead much faster than the guy who comes once in a while and busts his butt.

As far as forms go....don't sweat the small stuff. We have forms in our KWAN and the KS people have forms in their material. OTOH the SIN MU people don't have forms. Different strokes for.....

BTW: Are you attending the schools in Rockford? Do your classes do anything with traditional Korean sword?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  19. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

HELLO EVEYONE..BACK AGAIN..Injuried my knee in 07 while on duty and injuried my lower back exactally one year later also on duty. Retired from law enforcement, BUT I still train in Combat Hapkido as often as possible. Though many times I am sitting on the side watching and assisting Master Steve in correcting little things that the student are unaware of..

20. Bruce W Sims

Take your time getting back into the swing of things. You don't get any extra points for re-injuring, and it well to remember that reinjuries simply raise the possibility of increasingly debilitated performance.

Best Wishes,

Bruce