HAOV (part 2a,b & c)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Habitual Acts of Violence (HAOV) was a term coined by McCarthy, which listed and described the most common initiating attacks.

I thought it might be interesting to explore defences against each of these that I've found listed (if anyone knows where I can get an extensive list, please post).

The next three are:
    a) A front clothing grab, followed by a punch to the head
    b) A front clothing grab with two hands, followed by a headbutt
    c) A front clothing grab with two hands, followed by a knee to the groin

How would you defend against these?

2. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

On (A) I'm assuming the attacker is grabbing your shirt with his left and punching you with his right.
    The technique "shooting bow" is perfect for that one.
    At the same time your right hand comes back trying to scrape off the attackers left hand and your left hand shoots out to chop block the attackers right bicep. (picture yourself drawing a bow to shoot an arrow)
    Follow through with a right side fist to the jaw.

Both (B) and (C) are easy ones. Kind of like a bearhug from the front just farther away.

For both defenses start off by bringing your left and right hammer fists down on his left and right elbows. (This will make him lean in)

Depending on how much damage you want to cause and on the attackers apperance and attire you can follow through with a few strikes.

1.) The ear slap, great for damaging eardrums...unless the attacker has long hair...(can't get the seal for the increased air pressure needed)
    2.) Stike the temples with the inside of your wrists...unless the attacker has glasses on...(the frames will slightly protect the temples)
    3.) Use the single middle knuckle and strike behind the mandibular joint...
    4.) Simple throat chop.

3. Jim

Jim New Member

All three of those we train against EVERY SINGLE TRAINING SESSION! :)

I'll post some defences when I'm not at work... :rolleyes:

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Most systems of Japanese Ju Jitsu have some decent defences against these techniques.

The Grab and Headbutt one for example is usually countered by bringing the point of your elbow up and over the attackers arms, so that you simultaneously turn the hips so that they are side on, to protect the groin and that the point of your elbow is directly in the way of their headbutt. where you go from there is a matter of preference.

I'll leave the rest though, as I'm looking forward to reading Jim's replies and I wish that we trained against this sort of thing every session in our JJJ...as it is, it's only occassionally, for shame...

5. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

a). sort of like a combination middle block and high block, the middle block slams off the grabbing hand, and the high block blocks the punch, almost like the opening to a kata. then i would wrap my middle block arm around the grabbing arm, lock it, and punch my high block arm at his throat. (This is why i can't learn from books)

b). A simple double middle block, knocking his hands aside, then use his headbutting momentum to bring his head into my knee.

c). Toughie... I would probably have to act very quickly, a double punch to the ribs or solar plexus, then sidestep the knee. If not fast enough, then I'll just have to hope I can take the pain.

6. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Quick nudge to encourage further debate. (*winks at Jim* Hint Hint)