Hang ups

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Jungdo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

I was wondering does kenpo (more so American than others) have the hang up that other arts have about cross training. Because I REALLY want to train in Tatum's school. But I will always be a korean stylist at heart.
    And I was wondering would be told that I can not train in that art.

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

It has nothing to do with the style, it is about the teacher.

We encourage beginnign students to stick with one style (usually ours of course!) but only because it is for their own good...

3. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply..

good reply kenpodavid. Like he said, it all depends on the instructor. We also have a very similar policy. In my opinion, and this is as a student and part time instructor, it is best to pick one art to stick too. And learn all you want too about it, until you are either satisfied, or feel like they are ripping you out of your money. After you decide, then is best to peek into other styles. Adaptation, can be a martial artists best friend. In otherwords, where they pick bits and pieces of other arts and adapt it into their own. The same principle as reading martial arts really. Bruce Lee's art Jeet Kune Do is all centered around this entire theory.