Hanbo

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Aug 1, 2010.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So back to the original topic. Any more views and opinions on the hanbo?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Some of the responsibility falls on the instructor. Yes we as individuals should and dare I say need to push ourselves but there is also the need for a teacher to push a student beyond what the student feels he or she is capable of.

A student by definition is a learner and might not necessarily know how to test themselves or what they are capable of, a good teacher can do all this and more.

I suppose "Dojo culture" plays a big part in this too.

Edit: Sorry Aikiwolfie looks like we cross posted.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Dojo culture is dictated by the attitude of the teacher. If the teacher accepts slacking from the students then the dojo culture will be relaxed to the point it is detrimental to the students and the students will be encouraged to follow bad practices and be lazy. Their Aikido then becomes a social event.

As koyo has stated on the forum many times. It is the teachers job to set a good example. Personally I believe the student is ultimately responsible for their own training. It's up to students to seek out decent teachers and it's up to students to turn up to class on time and put in the effort. The teacher cannot do these things on the students behalf. The teacher can only set an example.

4. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Ye, as the saying goes...never bring a knife to a knife fight. Getting back on topic...Maybe good to bring a hanbo to a knife fight? (As I'm sure firearms are pretty much out of the question, although here in the states that what the saying never bring a knife to a knife fight refers to...firearms.)

So perhaps hanbo would increase ones chances, reach, striking capabilities.

5. Dean Winchester

I always thought it was "never bring a knife to a gun fight" ? :confused:

As an aside I had the chance to do some Jodo a few weeks back. Very interesting but it felt so awkward for me as I've only ever trained with either Bo or Hanbo, I either kept reaching for length that wasn't there or trying to use it as if it were a shorter weapon :D :D

I found it surprising the difference the length made.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Clearly you've always been wrong then :p

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Could have been worse. below I am crosstraining with Gerry Kincaid 5th dan kendo,

We are both using jo. Great lesson for you when the spead and accuracy of your opponent is spot on.

Attached Files:

8. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Kendo Crosstraining

Hey Bill,
    Do you still have the video of that training session? Had only been traiing about a year or so when we went there, would be great to see it again. In fact it would be great to do it again, so much to learn from those guys!
    See you tomorrow.
    Gerry
    :hat:

9. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Actually that one is: Never bring a gun to a gun fight. You would want to bring something much bigger, heaveier, something that doesn't have to reload as often, something perhaps much louder...and if by chance you should happen to bring a gun to a gun fight, bring three or four of them, and make sure they all start with something higher than the number 4 (as in .4)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. Dean Winchester

Yes Fusen I have.

I was actually on about it the other day......come to think of it I think I was boring the wife by gibbering on about it due to what was on TV :D

12. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

13. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

See, I tried that one once, at a training course using airsoft pistols. Admittedly the pistol wasn't in a locked holster; but I could still draw, ****, and get two in the body and one in the head from 15 feet. I could have probably got more if (as my instructor pointed out) I'd circled off rather than just standing my ground.

I appreciate that it isn't as clear as "gun always wins", but I question the 21 foot number being accurate.

14. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Can we kindly please get back to the bloody topic?

K-THX-BAI! :bang:

15. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Yes, we can, but first I would like to offer a little bit more of who I am! And I say this with the utmost of respect, and admiration, and rellishment (as in I relish in the fact):

"Bill" as another poster has so intimately refered to him(Makotaki) - (I'll still call him Mr. Koyo) and I share the same first name!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Was it me who called him Bill? If it caused offence I am sorry. But he knows I am not a guy who disrespects others.

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    No adouglasmhor...I was replying to a post and referencing (for the first time) another poster who had called Mr. Koyo "Bill" Had nothing at all to do with you....I had also seen before "makotaki" made this reference from the videos posted that his name was "William." Just the fact that he and I share the same first name sends me "over the moon."

Ex-forces? Won't even go there:cool:

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Koyo's real name has nothing to do with the Hanbo or it's use in Aikido or anywhere else. So lets drop it and move on. If Koyo is ever offended by anybody using his real name I'm fairly sure he's capable enough of putting that right.

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

When we practice with the hanbo, we learn to use it as an extension of the body, and just like any other weapon, we must come to know its advantages and disadvantage intimately. We only use it a couple of times a year, as employing it is not the goal...knowing when and how to employ it hopefully enhances our capabilities.

20. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Myself I prefare the jo because it can be used to strike like a sword thrust like a spear and sweep like a naginata.

regards BILL