Hanbo

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, Aug 1, 2010.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I saw it and only looked at the idiotic STANCES of the aikidoka and the "attacker" who decided to punch against a weapon??

Aikiwolfie you MUST visit the Makotokai so I can thank you personally.:evil:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No it's apparently a ju-jutsu/jitsu weapon with a somewhat suspect back story. It's supposed to be a broken spear. Which was short to begin with.

Koyo I'd love to come to the Makotokai and let you beat me to a pulp/thank me personally. It's just that I have work in the morning. And even though I hate my job. I like having money and the use of my legs and arms. :D :saz:

3. koyo

I really have no time for those who decide to introduce "their" ideas about how to use an umbrella, a walking stick etc as if those people would already know about fighting spirit,timing,distancing and unbalancing.

I always think those types have become bored with their own training (rather than continue to train hard and sincerely) so they invent something new ,usually utterly useless.

Below Gerry and Chris from the Makotokai training jo and sword relations.I do NOT reccommend attacking them unarmed if they have a weapon..or not come to think of it.

Aiki wolfie be assured of a friendly welcome if you ever decide to visit.:cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Here are some videos of koryu using the hanbo/tanjo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHz5N-K-pks"]Hontai Yoshin-ryu[/ame] The first half of this embu is hanbojutsu.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBi4XvWVUIs"]Uchida-ryu Tanjojutsu[/ame] which is an auxilliary art in Shinto Muso-ryu jo.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Steve I like the second clip a lot...

excellent weapon control by the tori .

Fast effective blocks and the control at the end of the technique is something to train towards

regards

Alan :cool::cool:

6. koyo

Yep Donn Draeger..Zanshin before during and after the techniques.

THAT IS how it should be done.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  7. koyo

Donn Draeger at the Katori shrine in Chiba prefecture (I think) in 1978 with Otake Ritsuke.

Draeger sensei brought a lot of respect for westerners to the Japanese.

watching them really makes you humble and inspires you to train harder.

I shudder to think what would be their reaction to the utube guys who play with weapons.

Attached Files:

8. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Fantastic clip, great attitude to training as well as brilliant timing, distance and body movement.
    Don't some folk just make you sick?:)

9. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Here are some more clips of Katori Shinto Ryu
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6tAJMDkLY&feature=related"]YouTube- Donn F. Draeger Katori Shinto Ryu 1970's Pt. (1)[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKmcbdKKYc&feature=related"]YouTube- Donn Draeger Katori Shinto Ryu 1970's Pt (2)[/ame]

Absolutely Awesome!!

10. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Alan,

In the clip of Hontai Yoshin-ryu, Inoue Tsuyoshi, the 18th soke was doing hanbojutsu against what looks like the late Sato Kimimaro sensei (Can't really tell, since the quality of the clip is rather bad.) who was using a shinken.

Inoue soke is a very highly ranked practicioner of Toyama-ryu battodo, jukendo, kendo, judo and iaido. He was a very capable man when he was younger.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I liked the second clip more. It looked like a more sensible use of such a weapon.

12. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Sometimes, very rarely tho. We have them at our disposal should we want to train with them.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So when you do train wit them, what do you do? Strikes? Locks? A mix of both?

14. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

It is no wonder that somewhere along the lines the hanbo, or even Philipino stick fighting have been introduced to some aikido dojo. There have been a few students of O senseis that were: Phillipino, Chinese, Korean. The influence of and exchange of ideas would would have been inevitable. O sensei also practiced with the Nagitata and practiced tessenjutsu, however I'm certain that very few dojo (mine included) actually practice to that extent.

15. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Yes, atemi, locks (generally after the individual has been taken to the ground), aid in getting off the line (ie, leaving the weapon on the line while I move off the line), blocks (tho I wouldn't exactly call them blocks), pressure point applications (either to aid in off balancing, or aid in positioning on the ground/mat), and at times aid in the actual throws which may or may not use a locked up position to complete.

I can do the same with the tanto tho, after all, it is just a real small piece of wood:cool:

16. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Sometimes I will also use it to get at and scratch an itch I have behind my back that might be a little hard to get to:)

17. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

With regards to the filipino stick fighting there is eskrido which mixes fma with aikido and judo.

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Tanto a small piece of wood.... :eek:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  19. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

[​IMG]

Tanto

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Not being funny but I assume you mean Naginata?

Just out of interest do you know which ryu-ha he studied it in?
    I seem to remember he trained in use of the yari too, or is that incorrect?