Hakko Ryu book

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by TRK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. TRK

TRK Valued Member

I was in a used bookstore last weekend and, as usual, I browsed their MA section. Occasionally I find gems in there. This time I found [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Nidan-Techniques-Hakkoryu-Jujutsu/dp/0873644557/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1300284563&sr=8-5"]this book[/ame]. I managed to pick it up for half of what they are selling it for on Amazon too, which always feels good.

I studied Seibukan Jujutsu with Julio Toribio when I lived in Monterey. He developed the art from Hakko Ryu. The book, of course, is not going to teach anybody to do Hakko Ryu. It is pretty fascinating for me, however, to see what was being taught in the 80s as Hakko Ryu in the US, and how Kancho Toribio modified it for his own art.

I personally find the relationships between different related styles fascinating. Unfortunately, unless you were there, it seems like it is very difficult to get information about how things were taught before. Especially once politics and interpersonal squabbles get involved there is a lot of "Our way is the right way," that seems to happen. This post isn't really a question. I was just reflecting on the evolution of arts over time and how students of the current incarnation can benefit from understanding how and (perhaps more importantly) why things change the way they do.

2. lazn

lazn New Member

Why things happen?

Simple: Egos.