Hakama

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Freeform, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Just a simple question. Hakama, why?

Firstly they're very annoying to fold and clean. Secondly when being shown a technique, you first watch the hands and upper body, and then the Instructor has to hold up his Hakama to show you the footwork. Kinda looks like he's wearing a nappy (thats a diaper to our US friends).

Whats the point?

Also, I've got a Karate book from the late 50's which shows a Karate 4th Dan wearing one, I've never seen this before, any comments?

Thanx

Last edited: Sep 7, 2002
  2. I wear a hakama now (I've only had one for about a month) and I really like it. All I know is that it's traditional and it is a pain to fold! However I really like the "flowy" feeling I have when I'm wearing it and it really does make me appear to be more graceful as I'm very clumsy.:eek: I also just love the way hakamas look so I feel like my "coolness" level skyrockets another 150% when I'm wearing one.;) :D

I never heard of a Karate person wear one before though.

Fuzzy Panther
    :Angel:

3. Spike

Spike New Member

Maybe it`s so you can mess up your footwork in gradings without getting caught?

4. Freeform

When you buying one then Spike?

5. Spike

Spike New Member

As soon as I get a grading relatively soon, you know I`m not due to grade for my white belt until 2097.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

In theory if it hides your footwork then it would make spotting telegraphs a lot harder.

7. Freeform

Yeah, but if they allowed leg takedowns in Aikido it would be great :evil:

It also gives a lot of material to snag on things.

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Almost joined an Aikido class about 16 years ago because I saw the 'Baggy Pants' they got to wear and thought they looked cool.

:)

9. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Hakama? Surely just an excuse to get out of clearing away the mats at the end of a class.
    And the nappy look is definately not in fashion at the moment!
    Plus you have to take an inordinate amount of care over them, fold them properly, transport them flat etc. Far too much effort.
    Then again, maybe I'll actually get round to trying one on someday ;)

10. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

TINTIN lives !!!! all hail the small furry one

11. Spike

Spike New Member

<hails>

12. Freeform

What? He's alive? I wondered who was taking the class. Are those my feet?

FECK!

So was the Hakama just a traditional part of Japanese custom, like bowing, not specifically Martial orientated, just a way of life?

Thanx

13. waya

waya Valued Member

Leave it to me to be the oddball here. I have always liked Hakama. No idea why other than the traditional look they have, especially in weapons arts.

Rob

14. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

Not likely looking at the contributors to this thread!!

Hail to the small furry one.:D

15. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

I accept the hails, and thank you all. Long live my furryness, but if it goes a bit bill oddie or david bellamy you have my permission to hurt me lots.:D

16. Spike

Spike New Member

You can count on us

17. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL finally I am the normal one :D

18. med

med New Member

it is a pain when you step on your hakama when you get up. i do however think that using a hakama has helped me keep my back straight.. having the board at the back to guide really helps. now when i take it off i find my form is actually improved.. when i teach predominently lower grade classes or kids i tend not to use one though, so they can see my feet. i encourage begginners to watch the feet first, and worry about the hands later. largely because the techniques aren't 'really' done with the hands but with the hips. so if they get the feet right at least they are pointing the right way. just a thought..

:D

19. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

In modern martial arts, like Aikido and Kendo, a hakama can help hide the practitioners footwork, so it would be hard for their opponent to predict their technique. But I doubt this was the case during the days of the samurai, as they tie their hakama to their calves when going to battle for ease of motion.

As for its importance from a spiritual (I don't know if this is the right term) point of view, the 5 pleats on the front of the hakama signify

1: Jin (benevolence)
    2: Gi (justice)
    3: Rei (manners)
    4: Chi (wisdom)
    5: Shin(faithfulness, trustfulness)

These are the qualities a warrior should have. The two pleats on the back signify the two major deities of Japan.

During the early days of aikido, O-sensei required everyone in his class to wear hakama, including the beginners. There was this one time when a student of his attended class with only his gi and pants (the one similar to what karateka use), and Ueshiba scolded him for showing up only in his "underwear". He didn't let the student participate in his class, and told him to sit in the corner and watch. After the lesson was through, Ueshiba made a long lesson about the importance of the hakama to his deshi.

20. Sc0tsg1t

Sc0tsg1t New Member

The hakama was the fashion of choice amongst the Samurai class and was originally derived from the Chinese mainland. It fell out of fashion during the Hein period but the Samurai brought it back. It was used to teach economy of motion and correct postural alignment and was of great benefit to sword drills. This is also where Karateka acquire the Hakama. modern karate is unlike that of the old days as karateka used to be taught sword techniques and jujitsu. Wado Ryu still contain some techniques referring to the hakama. Over time however the light Gi that is prevelant now became more fashionable and less of a bother to look after. fashion eh?:rolleyes:

I oersonally like it as it makes my aikijitsu techniques flow with a beautiful grace and can hide any errors I make with my foot movements. I do not however like looking after it. Ho hum.:)