Had a GOOD CLASS... for a change...

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Bigmikey, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

So I thought I'd share my experience in class last night because it was different, and worth commenting on.

For those that don't know, I am a student at what the VAST majority would classify as a McDojang, and, though it pains me greatly to say, I'm only baby steps behind the masses in my opinion. At least, I have been.

Originally the classes were taught by Master Cheon, a tall (6'1"), very charismatic Korean man. According to him, he had a hard life and it was only his TKD (he RARELY talks about HKD which might explain why he never promotes it. You dont win trophies or shiny medals for HKD) which enabled him to have a life of any kind. Maybe. Maybe not. But thats a conversation for another day, right now its not about him. I say that because a while back he hired Master Won. Master Won is almost his complete opposite in many ways. He's about 5'6", slightly pearish in shape, doughy, and as opposed to Master Cheons, flashy appearance and larger than life attitude, he's got this boyish quality to him that is far more endearing.

Initially we all grumbled when we were told that Master Cheon would be stepping down and leaving Master Won to teach the HKD class. Even when we learned that Master Won's SPECIALTY was HKD, not TKD, we still were dubious. Months went by and while Master Cheon sat in the office during our class making phone calls to students interested in TKD, Master Won put us through our paces according to Master Cheons instruction.

Recently, Master Cheon opened a third school in a neighboring town and has been at our school less and less. Last night, he wasnt there at all. Master Won had taught all the TKD classes single-handedly and would now do the same with our HKD class. Instantly I noticed something different. Instead of our canned, hurried warm up, we took our time and did some SERIOUS stretching, some cals and ran some laps around the school. It was NICE to actually have time to warm up my out of shape **** a bit.

Then he called us to attention, paired us up and stood us across from our 'partner'. "WHITE BELT NUMBAH ONE!" he barked. "RED DEFENSE! BLUE ATTACK! HYAH!" My partner grabbed my wrist and I initiated the move: step in with the left foot, right knife hand to the grabbing hand followed by right knife hand to the opponents temple.

"NO! NO!" He scolded. "If we on the street, what you think, he gonna wait for you while you dink what do to? He gonna stab you, hit you kick you but he not gonna wait. You have two second to do something. TWO second. I want to see you go RIGHT away. No waiting! AGAIN! HYAH!" and again my opponent grabbed me. This time I reacted right away: Step, knife hand, knife hand HYAH!

"FASTER! TOO SLOW! YOU DEAD NOW! You wife, you babies, day come see you in the grave and say 'we miss you daddy'. Dat what you want? FASTER!"
    Again the grab came, but this time I didnt think, I didnt hesitate, it wasn't even conscious. I just reacted. Again and again and again we did that one technique until he was pleased.

Then we went on to "White belt numbah TWO!" and repeated the process again and again. By the time class had ended (15 minutes LATE - a BIG DEAL for us because Master Cheon NEVER goes over, even by a couple minutes.), we had gone through every technique through green belt. I felt as if I'd entered a different school, lol. I felt as if, for the first time, I could ACTUALLY USE this stuff. It was a truly wonderful feeling.

After class had cleared out I went to the office and after knocking politely and being invited in, I asked Master Won why class had been so different. He smiled at me, that boyish, crooked toothed, broad grin, he looked out into the school to make sure everyone else was gone and said in a conspiratorially soft voice "Master Cheon was not here. Tonight I teach da class how *I* take class when I was student in Korea. Dis how I like to teach da class. Is good to work hard, to sweat together, to learn together. I like dat."

"Well, with the new school opening, Sir, I imagine Master Cheon won't be here much at all so is this how class will be from now on, Sir?" I asked, hopeful.

"I can't make promise. I work for Master Cheon and he has his way but I gonna do so much I can. With the new school if it get busy, Master Cheon say I maybe take dis over for my own. If dat happen den yes, lot gonna change. But for right now I have to do how he tell me he want to do. But we gonna do so much we can. When he not here I say push hard, work hard, learn da Hap Ki Do how should be learned. Why not, right? What he don' know dont hurt me" and he laughed.

I have been at that school for three years. My black belt exam is in November. For the first time since I started I actually have hope that I might 1) pass the darn test, and 2) Actually learn some Hapkido along the way.

On the way home, all of a literally 7 minute drive if I hit the single red light on my way, I reflected briefly how initially I grumbled at the thought of class being taken over by Master Won and how, now, after yesterdays class, he may be the sole reason I succeed at it.

Dont get me wrong, I still belong to an almost text book definition of a McDojang according to most folks and I accept that. I'm not saying its all better in the land of Korean Shangri-la and that I love my school. I still can't wait for my contract to be up and the black belt test over so I can move on either in part or completely. Instead, I'm saying, as I've said in the past, even in the MIDST of a school run by someone so crap, lol, there can still be good stuff and quality worth having. If I take what I've been taught, add in the new found inspiration of Master Won and the new life he's breathing into class and couple that all with hard work OUTSIDE of class, I might be able to hold my head up when I say I have a black belt in HKD instead of looking at my shoes and claiming not to have taken a martial arts class ever in my life, lol.

I know there are a few instructors here, and some students far more well versed in HKD than I am. I'm curious as to how your classes are structured and how large an emphasis you place on reaction times and real world applications?

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Is it weird that I keep imagining this part being said in Master Wong's voice?

3. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

This is what I thought of.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAy5h13_h08"]Be a man![/ame]

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ This is quite inspiring. The ideal is that every class you leave with the feeling of 'cant wait for the next class'!

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have found in a few clubs that the syllabus can be interpreted in so many different ways, that going to one class taught by one teacher, then to a class taught by another teacher you would barely know, apart from the drills/forms, that they were part of the same club.

Even in mcdojang/dojo you can find good training and come out with valuable training.

7. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Thanks, Mikey. Excellent points. The future of Hapkido is going to fall to people who really make it their Life's passion....the way some people follow Baseball, or Golf, or anything else. It is definitely a blessing when you have an instructor who is high-energy along the same lines. You're very lucky to have had this change in fortune. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

8. Bigmikey

Well, I'm not clicking my heels with joy just yet, Bruce. As far as I know, Master Cheon may never leave our school again. Or, worse still, he may send Master Won over to the new school and take ours over full time again.

We'll see how it plays out, but I was just glad to have had a taste of what it could be like, if that makes sense?

9. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Great post Mikey, great post! I've been having a rough week and reading that just made me smile. THAT is Hapkido! Careful you may find yourself obsessed with it for the rest of your life like me.

10. Bigmikey

I already AM - why do you think I haven't walked away yet? I told my wife that at some point after I get my black belt I want to go to Korea for three weeks and study with the Koreans. I figure after they're done they can just ship back whats left in a small box so it shouldnt be too expensive.

11. Instructor_Jon

They will leave the piece that signs the check. :)

12. Bigmikey

OH, so it WONT be that different from here then. Thats good to know. :D

13. Instructor_Jon

Hey Koreans have to eat too!

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Big Mikey'd probably feed the population of North Korea for a week. :)

15. Bigmikey

It's funny cause its true :D

16. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

"FASTER! TOO SLOW! YOU DEAD NOW! You wife, you babies, day come see you in the grave and say 'we miss you daddy'. Dat what you want? FASTER!"

i got to use that.