H.i.i.t Training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by strider, Mar 21, 2007.

1. strider

strider Valued Member

i've been reading about the H.I.I.T for some time now,it is said that u need to train between 8 to 12 minutes 3 times a week with a very moderate diet,and it'll be enought enough to loose around 10 kgs a mnth.
    so what is H.I.I.T,it is High Intensity Interval Training,with the H.I.I.T the bodies metabolism will be working from 7 to 9 times faster than normal,thus burning more calories.
    Now what does it consists of?
    the 1st 3 minutes warming up and running
    now the 4th minute cosists off sprinting for 30 seconds,than walking for another 30.
    so is the 5th,6th,7th and 8th minute.
    Now on the 9th minute u go jogging for a couple of minutes and thats it.

Hav'nt tried it yet,wana hear what u hav to say about it.

P.S. not recommended to people with high blood pressure or cardiac diseases.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hmmm - not come accross it before - sounds interesting though.

3. Liffguard

Liffguard Valued Member

The thing with HIIT though is that most people who think they're doing it, actually aren't. Basically, the sprints need to be absolutely 110%, full-bore. Just going "hard" isn't enough, you have to push yourself to your absolute limit. Basically, if you still feel capable of going further after your workout is over then you haven't done it properly.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well stated CPENN. H.I.I.T. should make you feel as if you want to puke. That is, if you don't. It is extremely intense, as the name implies, and requires a lot of mental fortitude.

I used to do a version of it at my local high school track. I started with a warmup of 1 mile, then I would sprint the straights. Full bore, balls to the wall SPRINT! Then I would jog the turn in prep for my next straight. REPEAT for the required amount of time.

When you are done, you should feel utterly spent. Gasping for air, sucking wind, bent over wishing you did not own a pair of legs! I always followed my H.I.I.T. sessions with a Protein shake and Creatine to aid in recovery. Once home, I downed a shot of BCAA's for muscle repair. Then, I fell into a coma!

5. strider

strider Valued Member

narc. did it work for you?cuz havent tried it yet.

6. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

Rule of thumb with HIIT: if you're just starting out, your stomach should cave in on you before you stop the routine. That's how hard you need to push yourself to get the desired effect of increased fat burn. It's not about burning calories, you can burn a helluva lot more calories going on a treadmill for 45 minutes, it's about shedding fat! And you can shed alot of it with such routines.

7. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Definitly! I was not too interested in the weightloss effects as I maintain a pretty good weight (175-180) most of the year. But the Cardio! Hells yea! When I went to my tournament, I was prepared. I did not gas out, which was my biggest fear, and had plenty left. Not knowing how many rounds I might have to participate in I prepared for the worst. I only had to do 2 rounds and at no time was I suffering. I still maintain my cardio by running 3 miles 3 times a week. H.I.I.T., if done properly, will work wonders.

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

outside of the fact that you really cant go 110%...heheheheh...yeah i know im a weenie.

this is really well said.

its also real hard to do this alone. (a trainer will always goad you on a little harder than you thought you could...eh ..its not his body.....its real easy to be a hard guy when its not you).

that being said i never really liked this cause it was to hard for me to push it 100% hold nothing back...you really have to have a certain mind set....and im really no wimp i have played college football and been a ranger in the army

it just takes a real special person to go all out like that every time...especally when no one is watching

i would probable recomend a different training formate

9. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

just tried it

oh jesus

10. medi

I puked.

I'm really not sure about this.

11. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

Bwahahahahahaha! That's good. That's very good. That my friend is baptism under fire. The first one is always the worst........ Well actually the second was for me but I'm sure you'll be fine :D

PS - stick with it because you do burn some serious fat. I am not joking.

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Pansy! :D
    I love interval work - personally, I swear by the tabata method, generally applied to sprints or bagwork
    Warning: this WILL make you sick! I have done the thruster workout they describe in the article twice and both times I had to take the next day off work because I couldn't move :eek:

13. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

You are an inspiration. Keep it up and take notes so that I may learn from your mistakes from the comfort of my La-Z-boy :)

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep, I've use hiit training and can swear by it for fight training.

It's true what the guys say though, if you don't feel like puking and that your body it going to collapse in on you, you aren't doing it.

15. medi

I'll give it a couple more goes, if it's this bad every time I'm not sure I can take it.

So what are we saying, 3 times a week? More?

16. Knives101

Knives101 New Member

Sounds like another Atkins scam to me. Just stick with the conventional methods of getting into shape.

17. xen

xen insanity by design

had a try at the method described in the link earlier with a skipping rope, god, i've never seen the second hand of a clock move so slow!! :eek:

I did not do good at all.

definately something i'm going add to my training routine.

18. strider

strider Valued Member

man nthing is a scam,in it i started with the training 3days ago have lost 2 kg's till now,and its not water what i lost cuz am drinking tons.

19. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Seeing as you can get the H.I.I.T. info for free, I don't think they're making any cash off of it, so where's the scam?

It's a completely legitimate and effective form of exercise. I haven't tried it personally, but I do the tabata method, which I understand is a similar principal, and that pretty much always leaves me considering self-amputation.

20. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

This looks like a cracking method, im definately taking it down.

I really need to get sprints into my training but never figured out a way to get it done, looks like ive got my training sorted!

Ill give that a shot, some day! :D